Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is anyone else having trouble seeing JL flights on BA's website? When I searched for ORD-ICN before, it used to show JL routes (ORD-NRT-ICN), but now it does not show anything... Is there any other non-software based method to search for award availability using partner miles (namely BA and AA)?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:37 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by agp423
Is anyone else having trouble seeing JL flights on BA's website? When I searched for ORD-ICN before, it used to show JL routes (ORD-NRT-ICN), but now it does not show anything... Is there any other non-software based method to search for award availability using partner miles (namely BA and AA)?
Try the Qantas website.. you will need to open an account, which is free and doesn't take much time.. and you can search for OW partners award space.. I always have trouble finding award space on AA..
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Can I not search for one way awards on QF website? Do I have to do RT? Also, I can't seem to search for CX award on QF...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:49 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jmr851
Hello again and thank you for the previous responses/help, we greatly appreciate it. So, again we had issues between booking online and over the phone. BA has different availabilities over the phone Vs. online. Long story short is my wife and I want to travel to LHR from SFO anytime between 11/21/2014 and 12/03/2014 in First Class using a combo of Avios and a "Travel Together Pass" that we have from our Chase Visa. I have booked and purchased (but have 24hrs to cancel) the only thing we could find which was departing on 11/25/2014 and returning 12/03/2014. The only issue is the return leg. The leg there is SFO-LHR First Class (Flight # 284). The leg back is LHR-ORD (Flight# 297) and then we are on our own to get back to SFO. Should I cancel this reservation and wait for something to become available in first that will get us there and back without ending in ORD or am I lucky to have this leg and should I keep it? I am not real familiar with reward travel so that I would put it out there to the community and see what the verdict is. Again, we truly appreciate all of your help and opinions.
Better to book what you can now, as it can be changed later.
If you wait, your outbound SFO-LHR will likely disappear.

Originally Posted by actuate
I am not sure as to how can I transfer my British Airways avios to other airlines?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
You can use BA avios to book any oneworld or BA partner award, you need to book through BA (either on the website or over the phone).

Originally Posted by agp423
Can I not search for one way awards on QF website? Do I have to do RT? Also, I can't seem to search for CX award on QF...
You can use the QF website to search for oneway awards. It will show any CX availability also.

Also search by segment, so if you are trying to find for example LHR-SIN on CX (via HKG) search for LHR-HKG and HKG-SIN individually.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:30 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Someone help me please.. I am trying to book AUS-SFO for 17th Jan night using my Avios. I can see the availability on AA but not on BA.. I called BA customer care, but even they can't see the availability for that particular flight, but AA is still showing it.. the tax difference is HUGE, otherwise I would have booked with AA..

Is there anyway to solve this issue and book it through BA Avios..???
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
Someone help me please.. I am trying to book AUS-SFO for 17th Jan night using my Avios. I can see the availability on AA but not on BA.. I called BA customer care, but even they can't see the availability for that particular flight, but AA is still showing it.. the tax difference is HUGE, otherwise I would have booked with AA..

Is there anyway to solve this issue and book it through BA Avios..???
Yes, phone. The AA availability is NOT for a direct flight. AA.com is showing one-stop routings e.g. AUS-DFW-SFO. Each segment is available via ba.com but only individually. If you phone they can link them together on the same PNR. You will probably have to pay the phone booking charge but could argue for them to waive it. You will pay in Avios on a per segment basis.

Mind you, you could go ahead and book each segment individually on the website and AA should protect you if irrops occur as per their usual policy.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:01 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Originally Posted by redshift27
Yes, phone. The AA availability is NOT for a direct flight. AA.com is showing one-stop routings e.g. AUS-DFW-SFO. Each segment is available via ba.com but only individually. If you phone they can link them together on the same PNR. You will probably have to pay the phone booking charge but could argue for them to waive it. You will pay in Avios on a per segment basis.

Mind you, you could go ahead and book each segment individually on the website and AA should protect you if irrops occur as per their usual policy.
Thanks man.. it din strike me to look for them individually.. it should have, but it din.. anyways, before I could check FT again for your response I just randomly called BA again and told them that the flight is available on AA so they should be able to pull it up, and voila-they did.. and they waived the online booking charge without even me have to ask for it.. so all in all - PARTY TIME..!!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Didn't find it upon my search, so my apologies if this has been asked before.

Let's say I've made an award booking in J, as there was no F availability. But as the departure date gets closer, I notice that BA has opened up award availability in F.

To switch from J to F, other than the additional Avios needed, does BA charge any change/cancellation fees to make the switch?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by McSam18
Didn't find it upon my search, so my apologies if this has been asked before.

Let's say I've made an award booking in J, as there was no F availability. But as the departure date gets closer, I notice that BA has opened up award availability in F.

To switch from J to F, other than the additional Avios needed, does BA charge any change/cancellation fees to make the switch?
Standard change fee applies unless you are Gold card holder.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redshift27
Standard change fee applies unless you are Gold card holder.
Interesting. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

2014 Reboot

Please continue the discussion in the new digitally remastered http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html thread.

Thanks for your understanding

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.