Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:47 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nux
You can only upgrade with avios if it is issued by BA (e-ticket number 125-). A BA flight booked through AA with a BA flight number cannot be upgraded.
Thanks -- and apologies if my reply misled Slipless or anyone else before nux stepped in.

Maybe this ("BA ticket number") could be added to subsection 2 or 3 of post 6 above?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You should be able to upgrade one way only online, at least if it's a simple round-trip itinerary with only one sector in each direction. Otherwise, phone to do it.The BA website was always the main way of finding this. To do it fast, learn to operate the BA website fast.

Some partners' websites will also show you BA award availability. Some find some of these faster than ba.com.

No waitlisting.
My trip involves two intercontinental segments in each direction. It's highly unlikely that both sectors would be available for upgrade at the same time. Short of phoning every day (a non-starter), which sites provide the sector-by-sector info most readily - QF? Finnair? Also, I know this has been answered before, but what are the booking codes I'm looking for, to upgrade into WTP and CW?

Is upgrade availability using Avios the same as using QF Frequent Flyer points?

Thanks.....

Last edited by Explore; Dec 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:28 pm

availability tools...

I have around 250,000 k avios and have used them a bunch last year. to date, I have found availability using the BAEC tool, AA and Quantas.

I am really getting sick and tired of plodding through BAEC/ Plus, quantas and AA availability seem not to tally so much with BA avios availability.

What other options are there out there to search for BA availability (I'm mostly using AA but would also like to travel to Latin America)?

Award Nexus is interesting but not super quick, and could get quite expensive. IS KVS any quicker?

any experts have any advice?

thanks
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mcdonalde

I am really getting sick and tired of plodding through BAEC/ Plus, quantas and AA availability seem not to tally so much with BA avios availability.
I don't have much of a problem with ba.com for research BA/CX/AY/QF flights. For AA and AS, I use each of their websites to find flights (saver availability generally means BA points will work) and then I call to book (fee free due to Gold card). In general, I find the above to be quite efficient.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Explore
Short of phoning every day (a non-starter), which sites provide the sector-by-sector info most readily - QF? Finnair?
BA will usually provide the best information for BA flights. Just search for a one-way award on each sector concerned, in the cabin to which you wish to upgrade.

I've learnt to use the BA site to get quick answers, so I don't find the QF site any faster when looking specifically for BA upgrade availability.
Originally Posted by Explore
Also, I know this has been answered before, but what are the booking codes I'm looking for, to upgrade into WTP and CW?
There's no point knowing, because no GDS will show these booking classes. But FWIW, it's P for WT+ and U for CW.

Don't forget that you can only upgrade from WT to WT+ if you are originally booked in Y, B or H booking classes.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:00 pm

i'm trying to find availability for a short break from the east coast to latin america any time in the first half of 2014- buenos aires, lima or santiago. It's a real drag...
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:30 pm

i'm trying to find availability for a short break from the east coast to latin america any time in the first half of 2014- buenos aires, lima or santiago. It's a real drag...
Why is it a drag? You're not dealing with a whole lot of flights, so it should be pretty easy to search for them one-by-one (e.g. MIA/JFK-EZE/LIM/SCL) using aa's award calendar.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:01 pm

That would be great, but I'm finding that aa milesaver award flights are not replicated in the BAEC tool.

For instance, there are plenty of 15k AA milesaver awards from WAS - Santiago in February, none come up in the BAEC tool. I also called an agent to confirm no availability.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:18 pm

That would be great, but I'm finding that aa milesaver award flights are not replicated in the BAEC tool.

For instance, there are plenty of 15k AA milesaver awards from WAS - Santiago in February, none come up in the BAEC tool. I also called an agent to confirm no availability.
That's why you should call to complete the booking. Also note that was-MIA costs 7.5k and was-JFK is 4.5k. This is in addition to the longer segments.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 16, 2013 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Looking at aa.com, for WAS-SCL I only see 30k peak economy milesaavers available on two days February 4 and 5. There are no 20k offpeak economy milesaavers available in February. There are no 15k milesaavers offered WAS-SCL by AA.

As these available flights involve connections, if you input the connecting flights individually on ba.com you will see the IAD-DFW and DFW-SCL flights as available on ba.com.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: BA
Anyone else find Avios+Money to be a really good deal to conserve Avios and get discounted fares on flights?

I can get a roundtrip to Rio de Janeiro from NYC for 50,000 Avios and $52.50 in taxes & fees or 15,000 Avios and $452.50.

Seems to me like the latter is a great deal, allowing me to get very discounted roundtrip flights while using very few Avios. If I paid in cash the roundtrip would be over $1300. If I valued the 15,000 Avios at $150 it would be like I'm only paying $602.50 for the roundtrip flight.

Last edited by wiivile; Dec 16, 2013 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
Anyone else find Avios+Money to be a really good deal to conserve Avios and get discounted fares on flights?

I can get a roundtrip to Rio de Janeiro from NYC for 50,000 Avios and $52.50 in taxes & fees or 15,000 Avios and $452.50.
Yes. I've noticed this as well... comes out to 1.1 cents per mile (BMI's cash+miles scheme was similarly generous).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes. I've noticed this as well... comes out to 1.1 cents per mile (BMI's cash+miles scheme was similarly generous).
I'll buy at 1.1 cents per Avio in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:59 am

Quite frustrated at the moment. Been waiting for First seats to appear on my upcoming flight. Currently in Club with Avios.

They came on today. German Exec Club is only open during the week so called GB hotline. Spend about 45 mins waiting, then finally they started to change the booking. Apparently it is a bit complicated for them because they need to log in with a German office ID so they can change the booking. All looked well until he came back on the line and told me that the award space diasappeaered while trying to confirm it. Sure enough it was gone online.

Six hours later it came back. This time I called US hotline. Same procedure basically, while trying to book the upgrade the agent said it was not available from Germany and that someone else with a German account must have booked it.

Is there any way to get this to work? I am afraid the seats might be gone if I wait until Monday.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue; UA Premier
Any suggestions about how to find available flights on the Companion ticket scheme? I'm weary of the "no availability" responses on bookings I want to make next October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.