Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
The old system was fabulous. JFK-HKG-<stop over>-PEK for 50k in biz!

But, the new system is kind of cool because it doesn't force us even bother with such elaborate routings. One segment at a time is very convenient for last minute trips. In fact, I often book tickets with Avios on the way to the airport now.
Well yes I agree, last month I was in HKG looking at cancelling a Y ticket to book the Avios J ticket I could see with about 90minutes to go before the flight. I chickened out as the CX staff in the wing made me worry that I wouldn't be able to book and ticket it in time...I guess it would have been ok....Marvellous flexibility in that respect

For more exotic stuff, US and AA are still useful, and the former gives out miles like candy.
AA is particularly good I agree, having just blown all mine on a LAX-HKG F trip I am slowly building them again with a view to using for the more exotic routings. Especially interested in the Europe - South Pacific routes which are much cheaper than BA or QF
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
First time I've seen it Avios being less value in business than econ (not that I've been looking that hard):

SIN-HKG on CX:
Econ 20000+GBP63 or GBP1281 = 6p per avios
Biz 40000+ GBP 63 or GBP1947 = 4.7p per avios

Both ticket prices seem excessive considering a Tiger Airways flight can be had for GBP170 and its only a relatively short flight but check two dates in April/June same price.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
First time I've seen it Avios being less value in business than econ (not that I've been looking that hard):

SIN-HKG on CX:
Econ 20000+GBP63 or GBP1281 = 6p per avios
Biz 40000+ GBP 63 or GBP1947 = 4.7p per avios

Both ticket prices seem excessive considering a Tiger Airways flight can be had for GBP170 and its only a relatively short flight but check two dates in April/June same price.
CX have not loaded cheap fares for that route for that time it seems. If you look next month fares on CX are around 1/6th that price. You would have to be crazy to consider that economy fare, so I don't think its a valid comparison.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Hi!
Just went through the 21 pages of this thread as careful as possible but was unable to find an answer to my question:

As a Gold member I do not have to pay fees for cancel/change of an Avios booking.
Does this also apply if I book flights from my Avios for anyone else? I've no household account, so I should be able to use my Avios for a friend. I know, that I'm in charge to call BAEC for anything related to his travel but how about the fees?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:46 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hippo72
Hi!

As a Gold member I do not have to pay fees for cancel/change of an Avios booking.
Does this also apply if I book flights from my Avios for anyone else? I've no household account, so I should be able to use my Avios for a friend. I know, that I'm in charge to call BAEC for anything related to his travel but how about the fees?
In my experience no fees are applied. It is based on the account used to book rather than the status of the passenger travelling.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nux
In my experience no fees are applied. It is based on the account used to book rather than the status of the passenger travelling.
Thank you!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Just a drive by to say many thanks to nux and the other people here who answered my question. Availability suddenly opened up on my preferred travel dates to Tokyo so I got 2 Avios upgrade fares from PE to CW for £2600 (which is currently less than the cost of one cash only CW fare). My travelling companion and I are chuffed little penguins and it only happened because I took the advice of you guys and was checking availability every day like an obsessed fiend.

Even better, I'm putting my hotel loyalty card points to good use to reduce the cost of the hotel stays.

So basically, my credit cards and bank manager are really grateful to you.

1F
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:59 pm

I haven't booked with Avios for a while, and am a bit confused on fuel surcharges...

I'm trying to book an economy reward ticket from Doha to Kilimanjaro on Qatar Airways using Avios through the BA website. No problems there...However, I'm getting a $241 USD fuel surcharge for BA--one way.

Why is BA charging me a fuel surcharge on a flight they are not servicing?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dorsey
I haven't booked with Avios for a while, and am a bit confused on fuel surcharges...

I'm trying to book an economy reward ticket from Doha to Kilimanjaro on Qatar Airways using Avios through the BA website. No problems there...However, I'm getting a $241 USD fuel surcharge for BA--one way.

Why is BA charging me a fuel surcharge on a flight they are not servicing?
They are collecting money from you in order to pay the operating carrier's YQ. This is their SOP.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:58 am

They are collecting money from you in order to pay the operating carrier's YQ. This is their SOP.
Thanks...that makes sense even if it renders the points almost worthless for an economy ticket (the fees almost equal the flight cost).

I know this is SOP in Europe, but I've used Avios points in the US and South America without such fees. Is there a good rule of thumb of where the fees apply and where they don't?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by dorsey
Thanks...that makes sense even if it renders the points almost worthless for an economy ticket (the fees almost equal the flight cost).

I know this is SOP in Europe, but I've used Avios points in the US and South America without such fees. Is there a good rule of thumb of where the fees apply and where they don't?
Some economy redemptions are very worth it. I got an IB redemption in economy on short notice for 67€ in fees. Hard to beat that kind of flexibility.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Dos anyone know what fare comes with the Flight + Hotel packages from BA?

With double Avios on all bookings at the moment it maybe worthwhile going WT+ and then UuA.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Dos anyone know what fare comes with the Flight + Hotel packages from BA?

With double Avios on all bookings at the moment it maybe worthwhile going WT+ and then UuA.
What do you mean by 'what fare' and 'double avios on all bookings'?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by nux
What do you mean by 'what fare' and 'double avios on all bookings'?
Sorry, I meant will it be a cash fare so an Avios upgrade would be available?

With the Flight + Hotel/Car bookings double Avios is awarded in addition to the tier points for the booking.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Sorry, I meant will it be a cash fare so an Avios upgrade would be available?

With the Flight + Hotel/Car bookings double Avios is awarded in addition to the tier points for the booking.
Yes you can upgrade if you are in an eligible fare bucket to upgrade, you will most likely need to call to do this.
For WT (economy) you would need to be in a Y, B or H fare bucket to upgrade which typically won't happen for a Flight + Hotel/Car booking.
All WTP (premium economy) fares you can upgrade.

You do not receive double avios (or double tier points) for a Flight + Hotel/Car booking, you receive the standard flight avios and 2 avios per £ spent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.