FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

dsf Sep 15, 13 3:37 pm

I've constructed a multi-partner award itinerary and found availability for every segment on the dates I want. So far, so good! It's a fairly complex redemption making as good use of oneworld J as I've so far been able to muster at the 20k flown miles/200k Avios level - 6 flights across 4 or 5 airlines: BRU-LHR-JFK-HKG-KUL-NRT-SIN on BA/AA/CX/CX (or MH)/MH (or JL)/JL.

This comes in at 19998 miles on gcmap.com. The taxes, fees and surcharges add up to just 538.

I've never booked one of these awards before and my search powers have only really brought up advice of the "multi-partner awards are expensive" kind, which definitely isn't true! So I'm trying to steel myself for potential problems before I pick up the phone. My questions are

  • is a one way itinerary legal for multi-partner awards?
  • will the mileage from gcmap.com match BA's mileage?
  • will I have trouble getting an agent to book this flight? what if I have the exact dates and flight numbers?
  • will the offline booking fee be waived because these awards aren't available online?
  • will the taxes, fees, and surcharges match the amount I get for adding up the figures from individual redemptions?

MissChele Sep 15, 13 5:29 pm


Originally Posted by stifle (Post 21443149)
BOS-DUB is 25,000 Avios return (round-trip) in economy. You'll need an extra 18,000 Avios.


Right, so we will have to use avios + cash since I don't think we will be getting 18,000 more avios. I don't know if it is better to spread the points between the three tickets or get 2 "free" tickets and pay for the third.

moondog Sep 15, 13 9:23 pm


Originally Posted by MissChele (Post 21449625)
Right, so we will have to use avios + cash since I don't think we will be getting 18,000 more avios. I don't know if it is better to spread the points between the three tickets or get 2 "free" tickets and pay for the third.

Do this unless the price of the paid ticket is insane.

saaveraward Sep 15, 13 10:37 pm

I understand you can book a stopover using avios and I was considering

USA-LHR (AA)
*stopover*
LHR-onward (BA)

First question:
What's the advantage of doing this? I'm still spending miles based on overall flight distance.

So for a dummy like me, how does one take advantage of the rules (ala AA NA gateway stopovers)?

Second question:
J to LHR on AA metal 50k miles + $2.50
J to LHR on AA metal costs 40k avios + $425

I understand the mileage difference with the distance-based system, but why the price variation? At 4 cents a mile, hardly worth it to book with avios.

Thanks

redshift27 Sep 15, 13 11:40 pm


Originally Posted by dsf (Post 21449212)
I've constructed a multi-partner award itinerary and found availability for every segment on the dates I want. So far, so good! It's a fairly complex redemption making as good use of oneworld J as I've so far been able to muster at the 20k flown miles/200k Avios level - 6 flights across 4 or 5 airlines: BRU-LHR-JFK-HKG-KUL-NRT-SIN on BA/AA/CX/CX (or MH)/MH (or JL)/JL.

This comes in at 19998 miles on gcmap.com. The taxes, fees and surcharges add up to just 538.

I've never booked one of these awards before and my search powers have only really brought up advice of the "multi-partner awards are expensive" kind, which definitely isn't true! So I'm trying to steel myself for potential problems before I pick up the phone. My questions are

  • is a one way itinerary legal for multi-partner awards?
  • will the mileage from gcmap.com match BA's mileage?
  • will I have trouble getting an agent to book this flight? what if I have the exact dates and flight numbers?
  • will the offline booking fee be waived because these awards aren't available online?
  • will the taxes, fees, and surcharges match the amount I get for adding up the figures from individual redemptions?

Should be legal.

No the mileage will not match. But using the "How many Avios will I get" calculator on ba.com as an indicator of the figures that BA uses, you should be ok.

The only way to find out is to go for it and phone up...

nux Sep 16, 13 3:26 am


Originally Posted by asherg (Post 21450686)
First question:
What's the advantage of doing this? I'm still spending miles based on overall flight distance.

So for a dummy like me, how does one take advantage of the rules (ala AA NA gateway stopovers)?

Second question:
J to LHR on AA metal 50k miles + $2.50
J to LHR on AA metal costs 40k avios + $425

I understand the mileage difference with the distance-based system, but why the price variation? At 4 cents a mile, hardly worth it to book with avios.

Using avios each flight segment is counted, so all stopovers are 'free' in that it costs the same to do one or not.

BA charges a fuel surcharge on award bookings. AA does not charge one on AA metal (it does for BA metal).

saaveraward Sep 16, 13 9:59 am


Originally Posted by nux (Post 21451451)
Using avios each flight segment is counted, so all stopovers are 'free' in that it costs the same to do one or not.

Forgive me on the semantics.

If I book on one PNR JFK-LHR stopover LHR-FCO

-or-

Two one-way tickets JFK-LHR then LHR-FCO

It's the same thing, so "free" in this case is defined as you're not charging me any extra to do this, but at the same time, you're not actually giving me anything of additional value?

So it looks like the best use of avios is domestic U.S. on AA metal to zones where I would otherwise pay more miles with AAdvantage, or Club Europe hopping. I was going to use them for TATL on AA metal, but don't see the point in that now.

Thanks for the info.

moondog Sep 16, 13 10:12 am


Originally Posted by asherg (Post 21452938)
Forgive me on the semantics.

If I book on one PNR JFK-LHR stopover LHR-FCO

-or-

Two one-way tickets JFK-LHR then LHR-FCO

It's the same thing, so "free" in this case is defined as you're not charging me any extra to do this, but at the same time, you're not actually giving me anything of additional value?

So it looks like the best use of avios is domestic U.S. on AA metal to zones where I would otherwise pay more miles with AAdvantage, or Club Europe hopping. I was going to use them for TATL on AA metal, but don't see the point in that now.

Thanks for the info.

Connections are usually a bad idea if you want to maximize the use of your points.

nux Sep 16, 13 10:13 am


Originally Posted by asherg (Post 21452938)
Forgive me on the semantics.

If I book on one PNR JFK-LHR stopover LHR-FCO

-or-

Two one-way tickets JFK-LHR then LHR-FCO

It's the same thing, so "free" in this case is defined as you're not charging me any extra to do this, but at the same time, you're not actually giving me anything of additional value?

So it looks like the best use of avios is domestic U.S. on AA metal to zones where I would otherwise pay more miles with AAdvantage, or Club Europe hopping. I was going to use them for TATL on AA metal, but don't see the point in that now.

Thanks for the info.

Basically yes. Direct shorter flights are usually the best value if you are otherwise considering using AAdvantage miles.

heatherbelle Sep 17, 13 2:02 pm


Originally Posted by IMH (Post 21401132)
To add to ExpatSomchai's reply: there is availability showing on several flights that day. If you're flexible enough to consider other nearby airports you should be able to put together an itinerary that meets your needs.

AA.com has a pretty straightforward online search engine here -- just select "redeem miles". Anything that shows as "MileSAAver" can be booked using BA Avios.

I have Avios points in my BA executive account. I can see availability from MIA-mad-LHR-man on AA, but nothing shows by on BA.Com. Would BA be able to see this at their end, so I could book? I need three seats and all BA ever shows is 2. The AA flight is milesaaver one.

zhengqiji Sep 17, 13 3:46 pm


Originally Posted by zhengqiji (Post 21449091)
How do I book an award ticket for someone not in the household account? Call?

Self-answered:

The mileage account holder could leave the household account. As long as one is a 'single' account, he can ticket for anyone else without household member limitation.

nux Sep 18, 13 2:17 am


Originally Posted by heatherbelle (Post 21460791)
I have Avios points in my BA executive account. I can see availability from MIA-mad-LHR-man on AA, but nothing shows by on BA.Com. Would BA be able to see this at their end, so I could book? I need three seats and all BA ever shows is 2. The AA flight is milesaaver one.

Do you see 3+ seats availability on BA.com when you search MIA-MAD, MAD-LHR, LHR-MAN separately? If so, you may have to call to book it as one ticket.

redshift27 Sep 18, 13 4:41 am


Originally Posted by zhengqiji (Post 21461402)
Self-answered:

The mileage account holder could leave the household account. As long as one is a 'single' account, he can ticket for anyone else without household member limitation.

Or if you are UK based you can transfer the Avios from BAEC to a Avios.com account and book from there.

heatherbelle Sep 18, 13 11:52 am


Originally Posted by nux (Post 21463699)
Do you see 3+ seats availability on BA.com when you search MIA-MAD, MAD-LHR, LHR-MAN separately? If so, you may have to call to book it as one ticket.

I do, thanks.

zhengqiji Sep 18, 13 1:23 pm


Originally Posted by redshift27 (Post 21464014)
Or if you are UK based you can transfer the Avios from BAEC to a Avios.com account and book from there.

non UK base... anyway, thx!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:40 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.