Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by zhengqiji
Hi guys, I need some more info about my case as I searched and didn't find too much info.

I've booked tickets for my friend and I MEX-MIA o/w on AA metal with Avios. Now she has changed her plan so I need to cancel her ticket. I've tried cancelling online for her ticket only but the website said Cancellations will apply to all passengers in the booking. If you do not want to make the cancellation for all passengers please contact your local British Airways office.You may be charged for offline service fees.

So if I call 800 452 1201, can I assume that agents know how to cancel one ticket while keep the other under a two-ticket reservation? Are BA agents clueless as DL's? I'm a little bit concerned that they might be ruined my reservation as too much pain gained from dealing with DL..

Also I know that I need to pay $40 for online cancellation (or will be refunded fuel surcharge minus $40) and get the 10,000 Avios redeposit, In addition to that, will I be charged for $20 phone agent fee?

TIA!
Yes, you need the booking split and cancel one.

You cannot do this online, so you should expect to pay the phone service fee in addition to the cancellation fee.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks moondog

They now offer a 7 day view of flights, showing all classes of service.

But, using Avios is much more of an art than a science: e.g. you need to think about fuel surcharges, minimizing connections, and distance thresholds.

In any event, gold is really nice to have.

...... With regard to viewing 7 days out....where is this tool or is it something that Gold level has once you reach the level?

Can you expand a little bit re fuel surcharges, connections and distance thresholds? Would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:19 am

Thanks Globaliser....

Originally Posted by Globaliser
While this is true for normal upgrading, Golds (particularly high Golds) do have some priority over other members for awards. All Golds can get some extra award space in economy that isn't available to other members. Golds also have the option of spending double miles for awards (pure redemptions, though, not upgrades). If you earn enough Tier Points to reach the trigger levels for them, you can get Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers (commonly abbreviated here as GUF2). Also, Gold Gust List members have a "joker" benefit that allows them to book awards into certain types of normal revenue space. So there are some award benefits from being Gold, even if they don't include anything for normal mileage upgrades.The way that BA currently operates in practice, the difference here may be more theoretical than real. After any award space that's been made available a long time away from the flight has been taken, many flights stay at zero award space until close to the time of the flight (in the last week or so). Consequently, booking three months out and booking three weeks out may in practice give you about the same chance of a mileage upgrade.
...... Thanks for the information....there is a bit to learn/understand
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by e cosi
Can you expand a little bit re fuel surcharges, connections and distance thresholds? Would be appreciated.
-I recall seeing a thread about YQ about a year ago, but for me it's a matter of trial and error, depending on where I want to go. But, based on my experiences, JL and BA are horrendously expensive, CX is reasonable, AA is usually good but YQ has been creeping in on certain routes, and LAN is wonderful

-I think the thresholds are published now (they were not when Avios first came into being), but here too I use trial and error. For example, I know that PEK-HEL is cheaper than PEK-<anywhere else in Western Europe> and PEK-HKG costs more than SHA-HKG

-Connections usually throw off the entire calculus, though there are exceptions, especially when your connecting point happens to be on a straight line between your origin and destination and both flights are just under applicable distance thresholds

-I don't think you have to be Gold to see the 7 day calendar because I usually log in using my mom's (no status) account because she is head of household
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator Gold, Flying Blue Gold , Hilton HHonours Gold, BA Club Silver, Club Carlson Gold
How Best to Book this trip ...

I have managed to find business class availability for 3 of us from Glasgow to Orlando, but there is a chance that I may have to stay on in the states for business. I will know for sure way before we leave the UK.

What is the best way to book this? If I book online using Avios only, would I be able to change it and cancel my (ie only me) homebound segment? I would pay a change fee if that was required, but I am keen to get the flights reserved.

I would appreciate guidance from people more experienced than I.

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by blairk2
I have managed to find business class availability for 3 of us from Glasgow to Orlando, but there is a chance that I may have to stay on in the states for business. I will know for sure way before we leave the UK.

What is the best way to book this? If I book online using Avios only, would I be able to change it and cancel my (ie only me) homebound segment? I would pay a change fee if that was required, but I am keen to get the flights reserved.

I would appreciate guidance from people more experienced than I.

Thanks
Avios tickets are flexible but the problem you'll have here is that there needs to be award availability on the flight you want to change to. For MCO, this is a serious issue.

How soon are you looking to travel and when will you know if you'll need to change the return date?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:19 pm

BA 101.... Im sure Ill be back...

Originally Posted by moondog
-I recall seeing a thread about YQ about a year ago, but for me it's a matter of trial and error, depending on where I want to go. But, based on my experiences, JL and BA are horrendously expensive, CX is reasonable, AA is usually good but YQ has been creeping in on certain routes, and LAN is wonderful
.....Thanks again for your response..... I guess Ill have to play with bookings and such to find the formula for my travel patterns.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator Gold, Flying Blue Gold , Hilton HHonours Gold, BA Club Silver, Club Carlson Gold
re:Best to Book this trip ...

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Avios tickets are flexible but the problem you'll have here is that there needs to be award availability on the flight you want to change to. For MCO, this is a serious issue.

How soon are you looking to travel and when will you know if you'll need to change the return date?
I will know by the end of the year, but the most likely scenario is that I fly out with my family, but they come home without me (or at least we separate in London and I do transatlantic again!) so we are talking about cancelling all or part of my return journey only, so not changing to another award flight.

Would that be a problem?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will know by the end of the year, but the most likely scenario is that I fly out with my family, but they come home without me (or at least we separate in London and I do transatlantic again!) so we are talking about cancelling all or part of my return journey only, so not changing to another award flight.

Would that be a problem?
You can split an award booking before you travel, and then cancel/change one ticket. I am not sure if you can do this after the first segment is flown though.

Originally Posted by e cosi
Read the first post in this thread.
BA charges per segment based on distance (eg JFK-LHR-AMS would be the same as JFK-LHR, LHR-AMS), compared to AA for example which is zone based (eg Europe to N.America).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
I really don't get this at times.
A miles + money flight from LHR to GVA in CE works out at 9000 avios and £581
A normal booking for the same flights comes in at £308 in CE.

Am I missing something?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmouse
A miles + money flight from LHR to GVA in CE works out at 9000 avios and £581
A normal booking for the same flights comes in at £308 in CE.

Am I missing something?
How are you booking this? Using the 'book with cash upgrade with avios' option? This will first book you in the cheapest economy flexible fare (Y, B or H) and then upgrade you to CE (for 9,000 avios return).

A Y, B or H fare as you've found is often more expensive than a discounted (I fare or other) straight CE fare.

If you book it as a normal award in CE, you can select from spending 9,000 avios + RFS fee, down to 5,000 avios + £45 + RFS fee.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Would that be a problem?
Why not make 2 reward bookings? One for yourself, the other for the other 2 pax?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Great post

Thank you for this great post; very helpful!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by nux
How are you booking this? Using the 'book with cash upgrade with avios' option? This will first book you in the cheapest economy flexible fare (Y, B or H) and then upgrade you to CE (for 9,000 avios return).

A Y, B or H fare as you've found is often more expensive than a discounted (I fare or other) straight CE fare.

If you book it as a normal award in CE, you can select from spending 9,000 avios + RFS fee, down to 5,000 avios + £45 + RFS fee.
Ok, the best I can get now is 18,000 Avios + £50 in CE LHR-GVA-LHR

Is that about rights do you think?
Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Ok, the best I can get now is 18,000 Avios + £50 in CE LHR-GVA-LHR

Is that about rights do you think?
Thanks.
Correct.
Or you could use 10000 Avios and (whatever equals 170EUR in GBP).

18000 Avios + € 60.00
16200 Avios + € 90.00
14400 Avios + € 110.00
13000 Avios + € 120.00
11200 Avios + € 140.00
10000 Avios + € 170.00

Sorry, I do have an EURO-Account but you can do the math.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.