Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 10, 13, 12:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 23, 12, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer View Post
Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF
Welcome to the forum....nice handle. ^
Old Aug 23, 12, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer View Post
Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF
Hi, Sheppey … bottom line is: you get what you pay for.
The jump up to CW using Avios is the price you pay for that - so, basically, you don't get an additional bonus for that "free" upgrade

T8191
"Mr UuA to CW"
Old Aug 23, 12, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, LH Miles & More, HHonours, Starwood Corporate
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Hi, Sheppey … bottom line is: you get what you pay for.
The jump up to CW using Avios is the price you pay for that - so, basically, you don't get an additional bonus for that "free" upgrade

T8191
"Mr UuA to CW"
Thanks T8191, appreciate the steer. Either way, think I've got a good deal. 12000 avios + £60 for the jump to CW. Its an overnight slog and arriving on a BH Monday with a family 'rounders' competition to attend, I need to be in tip-top form!
Old Aug 25, 12, 6:04 am

Query on Upgrade Costs

Originally Posted by Grand Union View Post

Using London to Chicago booking one way in WT+ and upgraded with Avios to Club World. The upgrade is an up front cost of 10,000 Avios. The flight earns 3,950 base Avios, plus a cabin bonus of 988 Avios, and for Gold/Silver members an additional 3,950 Avios. This reduces the net cost of the upgrade to a pleasingly slender 1,112 Avios.

01 UuA on BA only flights, booked through a BA sales channel

You can only upgrade one class at a time. The cost in Avios for an UuA is the base (i.e. pure economy reward) mileage multiplied by a certain amount:

x1.0 Euro Traveller to Club Europe
x0.5 World Traveller to World Traveller Plus
x0.5 World Traveller Plus to Club World
x1.0 Club World to First

So for example, let’s say you want to book a flight from London to San Francisco, moving from World Traveller Plus to Club World. The basic fare is (say) £900 including taxes. Upgrading from World Traveller Plus to Club World will cost you 0.5 x the economy award seat mileage (so 0.5 x 50,000 = 25,000 Avios). So for £900 + upward adjustment in fuel surcharges + 25,000 Avios, you get a seat in Club instead of World Traveller Plus.
First post and I'm quite new to this so go easy on me... I definitely wouldn't have made it this far without all the great work from Grand Union and some of the other board members in explaining the curious world of Avios and the BAEC. So with UuA in particular I'm trying to match up what Grand Union has done a great job explaining with what BA.com is telling me.

Looking at this page it appears that the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the cabin you wish to upgrade from (the 'base Avios'). I'm using this tool to understand the Avios price for flights in World Traveller Plus (or whichever cabin you wish to upgrade from).

So I read that and I'm thinking the following.

The ORD example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £1500 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 30000. So in the way I understand it, that 30000 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 30000 x 0.5 = 15000 Avios.

The SFO example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £2000 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 37500. So in the way I understand it, that 37500 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 37500 x 0.5 = 18750 Avios.

Does that make sense?
Old Aug 25, 12, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTompkins View Post

So I read that and I'm thinking the following.

The ORD example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £1500 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 30000. So in the way I understand it, that 30000 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 30000 x 0.5 = 15000 Avios.

The SFO example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £2000 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 37500. So in the way I understand it, that 37500 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 37500 x 0.5 = 18750 Avios.

Does that make sense?
Welcome to the forum GTompkins. ^

You seem to have got into a muddle over your calculations.
To upgrade both sectors of your ORD ticket it will be 10,000 each way and SFO will be 12,500 each way. The cost is based on 0.5 of the amount of Avios needed for a redemption in WT.
Old Aug 25, 12, 9:37 am

Hey Hiddy,

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by both sectors? I'm talking one way with both examples.

Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 25, 12, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTompkins View Post
Hey Hiddy,

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by both sectors? I'm talking one way with both examples.

Appreciate your help.
Yes my post does seem to be poorly worded.....as usual.
My figures are the cost to upgrade one way LHR-ORD/SFO so just double them if you want to upgrade both the outbound and the inbound.
Old Aug 25, 12, 9:46 am

Ok, not to worry. The next part of my confusion is where you mention it's the Avios needed for a redemption in WT.

I mean I understand that bit but the BA site advises that the price is based on the Avios needed for a redemption in the cabin you wish to upgrade from, so in either case here it's an upgrade from WTP to CW. Not from WT.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a wally.
Old Aug 25, 12, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always calculated on the % needed for a WT redemption no matter which class you paid for.
So the cost in Avios to upgrade would be.
Economy to World Traveller Plus is x0.5 of the WT rate.
World Traveller Plus to Club is x0.5 of the WT rate.
Club/Business to First is x1 of the WT rate.
Old Aug 25, 12, 10:07 am

Aha! The penny has dropped. Thank-you.

I'm just re-reading the BA site and that sentence, "the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the cabin you wish to upgrade from" is awfully confusing.

It sounds like that should really be "the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the Economy/WT cabin" or at least something like that?

Last edited by GTompkins; Aug 25, 12 at 10:08 am Reason: Corrected a small formatting mistake.
Old Aug 25, 12, 10:10 am

Also, certainly not complaining... now that I share the same understanding. Cracking deal if you can find redemption seats in the cabin you want to upgrade to.
Old Aug 25, 12, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes rather too good a deal if you ask me.
Old Aug 25, 12, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
… or is it "the number of Avios"? I'm a bit undecided on that one.

"Amount", IMO, implies "quantity" [as in people, vegetables, etc.] rather than a simple numeric.

Or am I dribbling?
Old Aug 26, 12, 1:13 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
GUF2 to revenue fare buckets?

Great resource - thanks! ^

Alternatively you can use a travel agent, if they are willing and able to do it, to use a GUF2 into certain paid-for fare buckets if there is no redemption availability.
Can you give a little more detail on this, please? How does the TA do that? Is there a thread which discusses it?

Thanks,
mgiarc
Old Aug 26, 12, 7:56 pm

Excellent reference.

Reading the section on UuA, I am not sure all eligible booking classes have been listed. I certainly upgraded a CW itinerary in R to F when Z is available. I bookings are not upgradeable using Avios on AA, but I think they may still be on BA (I have in the past, but not recently).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: