Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by londinense
Assuming that something does come up for my flight, do I just monitor the situation for myself or will I get an offer through MMB?
You have to watch for yourself. Whether MMB will let you do the upgrade online is something which you'll just have to try if/when you see availability.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:14 pm

Trying to get reward availability to Faro on 17th March returning on the 24th. Does anyone have any prior knowledge of whether this route is busy that time if year and if so are ba likely to release any reward seats?

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by monkeytennis
Trying to get reward availability to Faro on 17th March returning on the 24th. Does anyone have any prior knowledge of whether this route is busy that time if year and if so are ba likely to release any reward seats?

Thanks
Best bet is to very nicely ask someone with an EF subscription if they could check the loads for you. They'll need your flight numbers.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Do you have a Household Account?
Yes, I do. Does a % come from there? And here I was thinking I get a nice fat discount

Also, on what I guess is now a related issue, how can I see if household miles post correctly. Or do I assume if they go into the account holders account that they are included in the balance I see?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by timc01
Yes, I do. Does a % come from there? And here I was thinking I get a nice fat discount

Also, on what I guess is now a related issue, how can I see if household miles post correctly. Or do I assume if they go into the account holders account that they are included in the balance I see?
Yes a % equal to each persons amount. So in a HHA with two people, if you have 75,000 and the other person has 25,000, then 75% will come from yours and 25% from the other.

The avios go in to the individual persons account. A HHA just pools them.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:33 am

Instead of redeeming a round-trip HKG/LHR ticket for 60,000 miles, can I redeem HKG/LHR then LHR/BKK in one-way ticket with a stopover for just 50,000 miles, provided that I buy my own BKK/HKG ticket?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Sorry if this is already answered elsewhere - if so I've missed it.

From the sticky

01 Additional Gold benefits

•Additional reward availability in economy (V class)

Is this automatic if you are logged into your BAEC [as Gold] account, or only visible if you call up by phone ?

Last edited by PWOZUK; Dec 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm Reason: spelling corrected
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by PWOZUK
Sorry if this is already answered elsewhere - if so I've missed it.

From the sticky

Is this automatic if you are logged into your BAEC [as Gold] account, or only visbile if you call up by phone ?
Yes, the added inventory will appear automatically. When it happens you'll see the lines,
Gold Executive Club Member Benefit
Additional reward seats have been made available for you on 1 or more of the flights you have selected.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by B-HXG
Instead of redeeming a round-trip HKG/LHR ticket for 60,000 miles, can I redeem HKG/LHR then LHR/BKK in one-way ticket with a stopover for just 50,000 miles, provided that I buy my own BKK/HKG ticket?
HKG-LHR followed by LHR-HKG in economy is 30,000 + 30,000 = 60,000.
HKG-LHR followed by LHR-BKK in economy is 30,000 + 30,000 = 60,000.

I don't know where you've got the 50,000 figure from. With a handful of exceptions (which are immaterial to your question), awards are now priced on a per-sector basis so stopovers are also irrelevant.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:01 am

Apologies if this has been asked before, but could I please just double check that if you plan to do a London 'stopover' i.e. tag on a free Domestic flight to a Reward Saver booking, the European flight must be on BA and not a partner?

For example, I cannot fly DUS-STN on Air Berlin and then a LCY-IOM on BACX as the free Domestic leg?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Right answer, wrong question.

You cannot do a Reward Flight Saver on Air Berlin.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:58 am

Avios.com - additional info?

I have previously petitioned for a separate board for the UK-only Avios (formerly Airmiles) scheme but did not receive the backing of those who know better than I. It is only fair and decent therefore that, denied our separate discussions, due consideration be given to Avios.com collectors and spenders here!

Avios (points) are freely moveable between the schemes in minutes but Avios.com often has greater redemption availability. The Avios.com website has serious issues - such as no availability in any class other than economy if there is a domestic connection. Avios.com is open to anyone with a UK address and these differences are relevant and important and ought to be entitled to an airing here.

Please may I therefore suggest an additional section setting out the differences and encouraging an open discussion of them?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Quick question about one-way bookings using an Amex voucher. Does the booking have to be FROM the UK, or could I just book the inbound sector (eg DEN-LHR) using the companion voucher?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Must originate in the UK (assuming this is a UK Amex voucher).
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Thanks Stifle. Yes, it is a UK Amex voucher. What confused me was that the Ts & Cs state that travel must start AND end in the UK. I'm not clear as to how this fits in with the ability to use a voucher for a one-way booking. Unless the booking is a domestic one (a highly unlikely use for an Amex voucher) then a one-way booking will always conflict with this condition.

Is there any revised wording of the Ts&Cs to clarify this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.