Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CW or FIRST 747 to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Never flown CW or First with BA so im wondering which is better...
im booked in CW and the seating is wide open ....but they want another £85 to sit on the upper deck ????? £65 just to pick your seat downstairs.....
i could upgrade with money into First class going out...

what should i do ???
would love some input from you guys xx
Thanks in advance
Debbie xxxx
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Well Debbie for me having flown both CW and their new F i'd save your miles and $ and just take CW. Ive been in CW numerous times and most recent got an Uppgrade to new F from LHR to SEA. I thought the seat in F was worse to sleep in vs. CW. While I had seat 1A and no one in the other seat I feel more private in a window in CW. Food IMHO was the same nothing really better just served differently. It was great being in the nose of the plane still turning left on boarding vs. right but I will take CW anyday on BA.

Now if you wanna talk Cathay Pacific well thats worth F and their J to me is neck and neck with BA.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This is unlikely to be new first and the crew is mixed fleet. The cost differential is not worth paying for first on this route IMHO unless it's silly cheap. CW upper deck is far better than downstairs, but I have a problem in principle paying £85 to preassign a business class seat, especially when the best seats will still not show available to you as a non-status passenger.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
You have about 50/50 for NF. If you have never done either before, try CW.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:07 pm

Flew F Las-Lhr-Las back in April-May. Had NF both ways. Next time it's CW to Lhr since it's a night flight and F back. I enjoyed the CCR. Had great service each way.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
I flew to LAS last week in F and it was NF. Also, have to say that the mixed fleet crew were great (main CC that was responsible for us had actually worked on Concorde for years before taking a break).

To be fair though, would probably have been just as happy in upper deck CW.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by deb501
Never flown CW or First with BA so im wondering which is better...
im booked in CW and the seating is wide open ....but they want another £85 to sit on the upper deck ????? £65 just to pick your seat downstairs.....
i could upgrade with money into First class going out...

what should i do ???
would love some input from you guys xx
Thanks in advance
Debbie xxxx
For cash, no chance
For miles, yes
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

I had old F on my flight
Good crew - poor very old seat / cabin
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
we've flown first LHR LAS return 4 times - out of the 8 flights, 6 were NF.

Having flown other times in CW to LAS, we prefer first whether NF or OF, but after the first couple of times, we do find ourselves wondering after the flight, was it really worth the extra cash and or miles to upgrade ??

If you are going on vacation, its first time to Vegas, its your first first, going to use CCR, spa and the other lounges at T5 and stay awake for most of the flight, then go for it - its certainly a fun way to fly to LAS.

Plus you can sleep in vegas on arrival and wake up anytime and there'll still be fun stuff to do at anytime of the day (on the strip that is).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thank's for the reply's guys....
i have flown first before with United and Singapore air .
When i look even on the upper deck seats 64a is open to me but alas i can't climb stairs..
So of the CW seats downstairs which is the most private as im travelling alone and dont want someone watching me all the time lol..
But i think the main thing is ( what is it like to fly backwards) think i might feel i'll...... NZ air was good but that is like virgin sideways....
and if i don't pay for a seat will i just be put in the middle 4....
i suppose i could phone special assis .....
P.S have been to Vegas lots of times
looking for good seat numbers
thanks guys you are great
Debbie xxx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, VS
I have done both classes several times on this route, NF & OF. No problems with mixed fleet crew.

As you have discounted the upper deck, your choices are between paying for a CW main cabin seat (not for me), taking your chances at check-in, or upgrading to F.

For me, F is a big step up from main cabin CW, which has no fewer than 8 seats across the cabin, limited privacy and the dubious pleasure of having to step across the legs of a random stranger to access the aisle. Window seats are fairly good if travelling with a partner/friend, facing you through the divider.

Having said that, I would not pay a great deal extra for F. Upgrading with Avios is a different issue!

Edited to add that if you have flown NZ J to LAX, BA CW main cabin will be a whole new experience! I would go for a window seat as a solo traveller in CW but if you have difficulty stepping over the outstretched legs of a fellow traveller, rows D or G could be better as you have direct aisle access.

Last edited by Valueseeker; Aug 17, 2012 at 3:01 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.......
just hope the new terminal at Las Vegas is as goos as people say...
debbie xxxx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
One thing to note: if you can't climb stairs then you really would be better off with an aisle seat if you are in CW - otherwise you will probably have to ask the person sitting next to you to move in order to get out of your seat - it's a big step over them (as Valueseeker says).

It doesn't make much difference to me flying backwards in a CW seat - it's not as odd as it sounds; I've not noticed people complaining about it.

I think the service in F is nicer than CW (particularly on a day flight) - even in old First - but whether it is worth your own real money to upgrade is a decision for you.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by deb501
just hope the new terminal at Las Vegas is as goos as people say...
Well, if people say "its just another long, narrow featureless terminal with a crappy lounge, nowhere great to eat or drink, a crappy lounge and a far worse view of the airfield/city than the old T2", then yes, it is as good as people say
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Well, if people say "its just another long, narrow featureless terminal with a crappy lounge, nowhere great to eat or drink, a crappy lounge and a far worse view of the airfield/city than the old T2", then yes, it is as good as people say
I would say you have got this nearly right. It is better than T2 in terms of facilities eating/drinking options airside though. The lounge is a shocker for a new one though, I really thought (hoped) they would've done better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.