Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airport paid upgrade to F on outbound affecting inbound chance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

If you take an airport paid upgrade to F on the outbound, does it affect your chance of being offered one for the return leg in any way?

I am expecting a rather busy flight on the way back and while I see that there is a possibility of an op-up, I would rather pay for it. I think it is likely that the airport upgrade will be offered on the outbound but the return leg is less likely.

If buying the airport upgrade on the outbound will reduce my chance of getting an offer of a paid upgrade on the way back, I would forgo the outbound as CW is quite quiet anyway.

I cannot see that it will affect the inbound offers because I'd have thought it would be dependent on the load, but does anyone have any idea about this?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you take an airport paid upgrade to F on the outbound, does it affect your chance of being offered one for the return leg in any way?

I am expecting a rather busy flight on the way back and while I see that there is a possibility of an op-up, I would rather pay for it. I think it is likely that the airport upgrade will be offered on the outbound but the return leg is less likely.

If buying the airport upgrade on the outbound will reduce my chance of getting an offer of a paid upgrade on the way back, I would forgo the outbound as CW is quite quiet anyway.

I cannot see that it will affect the inbound offers because I'd have thought it would be dependent on the load, but does anyone have any idea about this?
I think it's highly unlikely that the one flight will have any bearing on the other.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't think so - in facr when I last flew to YYZ I did airport upgrades on both legs
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
No .. not observed something like that.

I feel from my experiences (don't know), that POUGs are more likely when my cabin is overbooked or somewhat underbooked; though room left in the next cabin up is also a key factor.

Funny thing is I kind of lean to an 'offer' being more likely if I've got form for accepting in the past. I certainly went through a spell in March when I accepted a few in a short space of time, having not noticed any for a while.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by littlefish
Funny thing is I kind of lean to an 'offer' being more likely if I've got form for accepting in the past. I certainly went through a spell in March when I accepted a few in a short space of time, having not noticed any for a while.
I think you may be in danger of looking for simple explanations in a rather complex environment?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I think you may be in danger of looking for simple explanations in a rather complex environment?
More than possible .
But then again, if I see evidence from my own experience I can't help but use it.
Either, the way BA offer me a paid upgrade is absolutely nothing to do with my prior 'form' with BA, or it is. So it is simple in that sense ... its just I don't know the answer.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by littlefish
More than possible .
But then again, if I see evidence from my own experience I can't help but use it.
Either, the way BA offer me a paid upgrade is absolutely nothing to do with my prior 'form' with BA, or it is. So it is simple in that sense ... its just I don't know the answer.
That's one way of looking at it. Can't fault that logic
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:23 am

If BA are offering paid upgrades it's because they have a reason to do so (e.g. oversold in lower classes, empty cabin). They would therefore not exclude someone from the offer purely because they had availed themselves of a similar offer on their outward flight. In fact if they checked at all, which I find highly unlikely, probably quite the opposite as they have already identified a potential punter.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Last time I did that I was refused a paid upgrade on the way back. And given an opup instead. It's a tough world.

Would agree with the other posters and think it'd be highly unlikely to have an impact. Would require more IT logic than we usually see from BA. And what would be the point of it? Attempt at not getting your money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.