LHR to VIE (BA8148)

Old Aug 13, 12, 5:45 am
Original Poster

LHR to VIE (BA8148)

I'll be flying VIE later this week ... and could do with a spot of advice:

I'll be heading for Wien Westbahnhof to catch a train, options from the airport to the City appear to be either a taxi, a bus or the City Airport Train. The CAT will drop me at Wien Mitte .. correct? ...but this looks less than handy for Wien Westbahnhof, especially since I'll have luggage.

Is a taxi from the airport to Wien Westbahnhof the best bet? Can anyone give approximate timings and cost?
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
I'll be flying VIE later this week ... and could do with a spot of advice:

I'll be heading for Wien Westbahnhof to catch a train, options from the airport to the City appear to be either a taxi, a bus or the City Airport Train. The CAT will drop me at Wien Mitte .. correct? ...but this looks less than handy for Wien Westbahnhof, especially since I'll have luggage.

Is a taxi from the airport to Wien Westbahnhof the best bet? Can anyone give approximate timings and cost?
Overpriced CAT (or much cheaper S-Bahn) will drop you at Wienmitte/Landstrasse and then change onto the U3 for Westbahnhof.

Probably around 40 Euros in a taxi. 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:19 am
uk1
Suspended

Pre-book a Redcab which is a part of Austrian. You're met at the entrance hall with a name card and your luggage carried to a new Merc E all for 29euros. Use it several times a year - very reliable and very good value.
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:52 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Many thanks never knew about this. Will use Redcab next month
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:52 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI GC, BA EC, AAdvantage, AB Top Bonus
S-Bahn (S7) to Landstraße (Wien Mitte) and U3 to Westbahnhof would be my choice, unless i had loads of luggage. 4 Euro all in.
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Well, I'll have a ****load of luggage so I've just booked a RedCab! Thanks for the tip...

Maybe I'll try the U-bahn next time
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Silver
Is Wien Mitte still a building site? I had to dodge rats the last time I was there.
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:49 am
uk1
Suspended

........... glad to help!

For what it's worth - the trip from town back to the airport is more expensive in standard cabs and so Redcab is even better value on the return. They have also been very reliable - unlike their main competitor at VIE who cost more and have variable vehicles - AirportDriver - who have fairly regularly left us stranded. Redcab have always been on time, and as service is included - and it's prepaid - you don't have the "keep the change" or "I have no change" issue often encountered.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 13, 12 at 7:55 am
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ragged View Post
Is Wien Mitte still a building site? I had to dodge rats the last time I was there.
OT: the only time I've ever dodged rats was near Pontoon Dock DLR station (about half a mile from LCY)

Search this Thread