A week of Firsts coming up

Old Aug 13, 12, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
A week of Firsts coming up

Unless there's some sort of unofficial sale/upgrade policy I don't know about, I've had quite a run of fortune recently.

I need to be in LA for 3 days at the end of next week, and BA was the only option with any decent availability - this is also my first TATL for business, so I've always gone WT+ or Virgin PE historically.

Thanks to the wisdom of these boards I knew to aim for 64K when selecting the seats, and two weeks out I was surprised to see it there, so I bagged it. For the return flight it was only at seat selection that I realised I'd be travelling FIRST on the return. I selected 2K and double checked the price I'd paid, just in case I'd not seen the '1' before the price I thought I'd paid, but no, I had a Club World outbound and First return for 100 less than beardy was selling Upper Class returns. Seems like an exceptional deal to me! This will also just scrape me into BA Gold for the first time, which is nice.

What should I be looking to do at LAX to maximise the whole First experience? Any tips?
Old Aug 13, 12, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Stay away from the airport for as long as possible is my honest advice. LAX is a horrible place, even in First
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Oh bum. What he said.

F should get you through the airport quicker - which is a huge bonus.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Yes, I thought LAX might be a hole. What's the BA lounge like there?

If I flashed a dazzling smile at T5 on the way out (my CW sector) and showed the F sector on the same PNR would they let me use the Concorde Room?
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:11 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by OrchardTravel View Post

If I flashed a dazzling smile at T5 on the way out (my CW sector) and showed the F sector on the same PNR would they let me use the Concorde Room?
No, they will not.

Your best bet is check on BA97 to see if there is somebody who can guest you in.

bjorns
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
HenkyBaby did a TR here: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/140037/

Very very unlikely - but your smile may be devastatingly irresistible. Nothing to lose by trying.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
LAX is a shared oneworld lounge. It's not awful but I wouldn't rush to stay in it for hours. The F section is a little nicer than the J one, but not massively so.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:31 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I quite liked the OW F lounge at LAX on my one visit there, reasonable food and booze options, not too busy.

Other opinion I've seen on here is not so glowing however, so I think it will very much depend on what you like personally and the time of your flight, as I think it can get busy at times when other OW flights are departing.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Unless there's some sort of unofficial sale/upgrade policy I don't know about, I've had quite a run of fortune recently.
If it's a more expensive club fare then yes, a 1 way upgrade to First is being thrown in at the moment.

(Arguably if there's no restriction you'd be better taking this ex-London where you have CCR access AND all day to enjoy the service, but still not to be sniffed at!)
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF Club 2000
There are some superb fares around at the moment... I'm doing a 72 hr trip to LA in early Sept which happens to include a Saturday night and cost only 2K return from LHR in CW. Just checked and it's CW both ways though.

I agree with others. Turn up as late as possible for the return and give the lounge at LAX a miss... no great shakes.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
If it's a more expensive club fare then yes, a 1 way upgrade to First is being thrown in at the moment.

(Arguably if there's no restriction you'd be better taking this ex-London where you have CCR access AND all day to enjoy the service, but still not to be sniffed at!)
I don't recall having the choice in all honesty, but it's done and booked now. I can't see anything about it on the site, is it an uncommunicated bonus?

Shame about the CCR, but that's the way it goes sometimes isn't it?

Is the premium check-in/security check pretty efficient at LAX?
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I don't recall having the choice in all honesty, but it's done and booked now. I can't see anything about it on the site, is it an uncommunicated bonus?
Here's the site - http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb

You could always give that number a cheeky call to see if they'll swap it. Probably not, but no harm asking!

(Other option of course is that you've actually booked an A class fare in F as that was cheaper than the cheapest Club fare - BA.com will do this for you automatically).
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I've just checked - It is indeed an "A" class fare.

I have no idea what that means.
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... Is the premium check-in/security check pretty efficient at LAX?
Yes, it's typically not bad. YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've just checked - It is indeed an "A" class fare.

I have no idea what that means.
Funnily enough, a new thread has just been started on this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...fare-code.html

Search this Thread