Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aspirations of flying in a higher travel class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I really don't get the OPs angle here, he's talkign about the aspirations and what 'drives people potty' to get the upgrades and then willingly admits that he pays for it himself, surely the ultimate sign of desperation to have it!

I suspect their aspiration /motivation is exactly the same as yours! If you're willing to pay for it, is it really that strange that some people will try to get it too without paying?! Look into why you do it and I very much suspect the reasons for most are exactly the same.

The answer to your final question OP is- that most who don't simply pay it, are those simply not in the same lucky financial position as you!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold

Yes, I think that at its core, this thread is quite simple and rather nasty - "why isn't everyone as rich as me?"
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
I think the other important reason why people often try to wheedle and beg free upgrades (as opposed to paid for ones) is that there is a perception "out there" that such free upgrades are available.

If you buy a car or a camera, you rarely, if ever, would expect the shop/dealer to give you a model worth twice as much for the same price. So people don't try (as an aside, it surprises me how few people ask for a discount or a best price when buying domestic appliances, jewellery, or electronic gadgets in high street shops).

But the common understanding from the media and popular culture is that free upgrades are available and given out regularly. So rather than angling for things that they don't think are possible, or things that they don't deserve, people are merely (in their own minds) trying to ensure that they benefit from some of the "free stuff" that is (in their understanding) being given out every day anyway...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Unlike a camera or similar tho' the airline does not still have the item on the shelf to sell to another person.....

Many people visit say Waitrose supermarket when they know that things are about to be reduced and (in their mind at least) get similar 'free' upgrades...

I think most people now understand that upgrades only really happen if the plane is 'Oversold' and then to Oneworld card holders (tho' not always in status order.)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Yes, I have aspirations of flying in a higher class, mainly on BA. Loving all things British, we made the mistake of joining the EC when the BA Chase card was first introduced. Returning home on the next flight from London we were upgraded from WT to CW. That did it. I had been upgraded years ago to F LA to Phila.-it was so long ago that I don't use LAX or PHL for this. Had checked in very late to a quite empty red eye TWA flight. So, we got the bug. Living so close to Las Vegas we don't gamble. Did a little in the days when all the stars were gambling-no security or anything. Many of them ended up spending their salaries and then some! The only gambling I do is-will we get an upgrade from BA? Retired, with family members still needing help, we can barely afford the rising fuel, tax, security charges on our award tickets. Love at least WT+ as we know that we will catch fewer germs [I have lung diseases but never smoked] and will be able to sleep [impossible with party people and young kids in WT].
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Personally I think upgradioses are the best thing ever as I would not be prepared to spend the money on CW but on the other hand I just can't imagine flying long haul without a flat bed.

I'm planning to book a 241+1 in F somewhere using Avios this year just to try it out but I've lowered my expectations as recommended.

If it's not "WOW", I'll probably stick to doing the 241s in CW after that.

Being in a premium cabin does make you feel better than the folks who aren't (and so you should, that's the point, you are in a better cabin!), but what makes it even better for me is knowing I have only forked out hundreds rather than thousands for the privilege!

People who pay full price to sit in F or CW enjoy it in their own way

As will the people who's employers paid for them to sit there ^

Everyone enjoys it in their own little way!

Last edited by PanGalactic; Aug 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
Guilty. I probably wouldn't pay full price for F or C seats even if money meant nothing to me. Rarely do airlines price those reasonably. I love the mileage game. I've collected over a million miles via bonus offers in recent years, and I'm an amateur at this compared to a lot of FTers.
BA gives bonus offers? How?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
BA gives bonus offers? How?
The recent Olympic one for starters, I can remember quite a few other 'register and fly over this period for double miles' etc offers too

Then of course you have the credit cards...etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.