Confused over how to upgrade

Old Aug 11, 12, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Confused over how to upgrade

Hi, I've recently used the BMI tier match program to get a Silver BA card and transferred my miles over, so I'm new to BA

Anyway we were looking to go to New York at Christmas and are a bit confused over how to upgrade. The plan is to fly GLA>LHR>JFK and back, in Premium Economy and upgrade the leg back to Club World. Now I worked this out to be 10,000 Avios points per person to do this.

When I try and book with cash and upgrade with Avios the total cost per person is 881 and 10,000 points to upgrade. Now when I search for these flights as if it's a normal booking it's only 828 in Premium Economy. This is on the same flights, I checked the flight codes to confirm.

Now my question is, what is there to stop me from booking normally at the cheaper price, then upgrading the booking once it's complete instead of doing the upgrade at the same time? Do I have to pay to upgrade or am I missing something here?
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:57 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RedArrowX View Post
Hi, I've recently used the BMI tier match program to get a Silver BA card and transferred my miles over, so I'm new to BA

Anyway we were looking to go to New York at Christmas and are a bit confused over how to upgrade. The plan is to fly GLA>LHR>JFK and back, in Premium Economy and upgrade the leg back to Club World. Now I worked this out to be 10,000 Avios points per person to do this.

When I try and book with cash and upgrade with Avios the total cost per person is 881 and 10,000 points to upgrade. Now when I search for these flights as if it's a normal booking it's only 828 in Premium Economy. This is on the same flights, I checked the flight codes to confirm.

Now my question is, what is there to stop me from booking normally at the cheaper price, then upgrading the booking once it's complete instead of doing the upgrade at the same time? Do I have to pay to upgrade or am I missing something here?
The 53 quid is the difference in tax&fees between wp+ and cw. even if you book at 828 wp+ i suspect you'd still ahve to pay 53 quid + 100K avios when you are doing upgrade to cw.
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pineapplejet View Post
The 53 quid is the difference in tax&fees between wp+ and cw. even if you book at 828 wp+ i suspect you'd still ahve to pay 53 quid + 100K avios when you are doing upgrade to cw.
I was under the assumption that it was free to upgrade?
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:08 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
I was under the assumption that it was free to upgrade?
Free* to upgrade. just like when you make an award booking with avios the tickets are free*

*you pick up the tab on tax&fees

wp+ and cw are taxed differently.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL
You also run the risk of upgrade availability not being available in the future if you book WTP using cash only. Better to grab it now if it's there as part of a cash and avios booking..........
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:33 am
Original Poster

OK thanks, just gone ahead and booked at the higher price to make sure we get the class we want.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Oh one other question. When I booked it my Silver Card details were filled out, but for my other half there was a space for her to put in a number but she doesn't have one so we left it blank.

Since I'm booking and paying for it, do I get Avios points for both tickets?
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:47 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Oh one other question. When I booked it my Silver Card details were filled out, but for my other half there was a space for her to put in a number but she doesn't have one so we left it blank.

Unfortunately no!
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Unfortunately no!
That's rubbish, I'm the one paying for it too. Oh well.

If I create a household account and get my other half to sign up does she join at the same level as me, Silver, or does she start at the bottom level? Can the tier points she earns under the household account be transferred to me?

Was kinda hoping that I would have earned 440 tier points so we would be close to keeping it for another year.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

No, but if you set up a household account then you will be able to spend the Avios she earns.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
That's rubbish, I'm the one paying for it too. Oh well..
It's not rubbish, it's the scheme you've signed up to.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
It's not rubbish, it's the scheme you've signed up to.
It may be the scheme I signed up for, but it is rubbish. I'm paying for two tickets so I should be earning points on both tickets. Doesn't matter what the scheme is, just doesn't seem fair in my view.
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:58 am

It may be the scheme I signed up for, but it is rubbish. I'm paying for two tickets so I should be earning points on both tickets. Doesn't matter what the scheme is, just doesn't seem fair in my view.

TPs/Avios are awarded to the arse in the seat. Not any other arse.
Old Aug 11, 12, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post

TPs/Avios are awarded to the arse in the seat. Not any other arse.
I understand that now and I'm not disputing it. All I'm saying is just seems a bit unfair in my view that I'm missing out on TPs to renew my card for a second year when I'm the one paying for the two tickets.
Old Aug 11, 12, 9:00 am

Does any airline FF program award points to the person paying rather than the one travelling?

Search this Thread