Using multiple AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers

Old Aug 9, 12, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have 2 AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers (i.e. 1 each for my wife & myself) + a large number of AVIOS.

I am considering using both vouchers together to treat my sister and her husband to a 1st class trip from LHR to Miami next year (they both celebrate their 60th birthdays).

Is it likely that I will be able to book effectively 4 reward seats in 1st class on the same flight ?????

There appears to be reasonable availability on this route at the moment, but I would really need to know beforehand if booking the 1st 2 seats was going to use up the reward availability on the flight, therefore preventing me making the 2nd part of the booking.
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by douglasjmain View Post
I have 2 AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers (i.e. 1 each for my wife & myself) + a large number of AVIOS.

I am considering using both vouchers together to treat my sister and her husband to a 1st class trip from LHR to Miami next year (they both celebrate their 60th birthdays).

Is it likely that I will be able to book effectively 4 reward seats in 1st class on the same flight ?????

There appears to be reasonable availability on this route at the moment, but I would really need to know beforehand if booking the 1st 2 seats was going to use up the reward availability on the flight, therefore preventing me making the 2nd part of the booking.
You're looking for 4 redemption seats in F; if you book the first 2 then that will leave 2, so as long as someone doesn't phone in for a seat while you're still doing the first booking you should be fine.

Maybe you could/should do this by phone and perhaps they can block all four seats for you while they do the two bookings?

Q: Do they have to be separate bookings?

It surprises me somewhat, but you can find 4 F redemption seats on the same flight (and I spent less than 60 seconds looking for you!) e.g.

Old Aug 9, 12, 7:40 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Hello,

If there are four seats available then you go for it, before someone else does

If the moon crashes into the ocean and by some freak someone then magically makes real bookings on the same flight you can always refund the 2-4-1 booking for a small fee and total return of miles and voucher.

For belt and braces peace of mind only you could call the BAEC and do it over the phone, but you'd probably incur booking fees per-person.
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Try and make a redemption for 4 people initially. If that shows there is availability, then you should be good to do the 2 x 2-4-1 bookings.

It may be safer to book via the phone, as the agents may be able to hold the seats whilst they are doing the booking. You'd have to pay the offline charge though.
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titatnium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver

Just be sure you know how much is the Fuel Surcharge before you buy the ticket. You can easily buy a Coach ticket just for the amount you pay on fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DFWsakp View Post
Just be sure you know how much is the Fuel Surcharge before you buy the ticket. You can easily buy a Coach ticket just for the amount you pay on fuel surcharge.
What relevance does that have to a 1st class booking, as per the OP?
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by DFWsakp View Post
Q: How often do you fly with BA in First?

For reference:
A standard return fare LHR-MIA in F is just a shade over 7k (i.e. $11k)
A redemption booking is 150,000 Avios plus about 610 (i.e. $950) in charges.

Are you seriously suggesting that $950 plus a bundle of Avios is a bad deal for something that might otherwise cost you $11,000?
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for very helpful advice - I did consider it might be safer booking by phone - probably worth paying the little bit extra for peace of mind, though as Bugalugs says above, I could always cancel the whole thing and start again if it went awry booking online.
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:14 am

Thanks to all for very helpful advice - I did consider it might be safer booking by phone - probably worth paying the little bit extra for peace of mind, though as Bugalugs says above, I could always cancel the whole thing and start again if it went awry booking online.
Can you do it in parallel with two different computers? or two different browsers if you're trying to be clever?

You grab the first two seats from one system logged in to your BAEC account, while at the same time your wife books the other two from a second system logged in to her BAEC account?

At what point during the booking process does it actually reserve the seats, I wonder?
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
Can you do it in parallel with two different computers? or two different browsers if you're trying to be clever?

You grab the first two seats from one system logged in to your BAEC account, while at the same time your wife books the other two from a second system logged in to her BAEC account?

At what point during the booking process does it actually reserve the seats, I wonder?
Also need to bear in mind that if you have a household account set up (I assume you probably do as both you and your wife have 241s), then I believe you can only use your miles for people in this account.
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Also need to bear in mind that if you have a household account set up (I assume you probably do as both you and your wife have 241s), then I believe you can only use your miles for people in this account.
I hadn't considered this aspect

Is this correct though ??? Surely if I am using my AVIOS with a Companion Voucher I should be free to take anyone as a companion.
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold

Is this correct though ??? Surely if I am using my AVIOS with a Companion Voucher I should be free to take anyone as a companion.
I thought this was the case but the rules seem to say "20.Companions do not have to be people who are named within a British Airways Executive Club Household Account. Member’s can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking." Maybe you have to do this by phone, as you don't seem to be able to do it on-line.

Last edited by LondonAndy; Aug 9, 12 at 8:56 am Reason: Looked at the rules and it turns out I was wrong!
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy View Post
No, only people in your HHA.
Posts such as this one seem to imply that the 2nd person on the 2-4-1 companion voucher need not be a member of the HHA... ?
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It didn't used to be correct.

But, it appears that BAEC and American Express have changed the Terms and Conditions for the companion voucher. Those T and C's used to specifically state that the voucher holder could take anyone, even persons not members of the voucher holder's HHA (if the holder has a HHA).
Old Language:
20.Companions do not have to be people who are named within a British Airways Executive Club Household Account. Member’s can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking.
See, e.g., these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-account.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-account.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html

That language has been changed in the T and C's.
New Language:
20.Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_gb

This is a big change!

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 9, 12 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:25 am

Yes, that is a big change! Does anyone know when that change took effect? For those of us in the U.S., the Terms & Conditions still allow Household Account members to take companions who are not HHA members:
"Companions do not have to be named within a BA Executive Club Household Account. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their redemption voucher booking."
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Perhaps the U.S. rules will be changing, too. That would be unfortunate.

Search this Thread