What is/was your best Avios Redemption

Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
What is/was your best Avios Redemption

I didn't see a thread like this but I am curious what others have done to get the most value out of Avios. I understand that "value" can be subjective so I will split it in two:

1. Best value in terms of CPM redemption value

2. Best value in terms of "I would not have booked this without points" (that is for the experience or destination). Essentially booked because of desire not to save money.

So with that said I will go first.

I recently got 9.87 CPM value out of Avios. I booked an economy seat on AA from MIA to ATL. It cost me 4,500 Avios and $2.50. The lowest fare was $447 USD.

My best value in terms of destination was a trip to Easter Island using pre-Avois BA miles. 105,000 + ~$400 for 2 to go down in Business from ATL and back in Economy. Great Trip!

Anyone else?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never work out the value of one mile/Avios spent....I couldn't care less to be honest. I like the flexibility they offer more than the cost saving.

So with that in mind it would have to be the two LHR-EZE tickets in F I booked for my wife and I at short notice which allowed us to arrive here just in the nick of time to meet our container of belongings which had done the trip by land and sea in record time.
It was my first trip in F as well....a memorable experience.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by foofiter
1. Best value in terms of CPM redemption value
Rather crucially, you need to consider what you are actually willing to pay in determining an accurate CPM.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ay-mexico.html
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
2 F returns LHR-SIN-SYD plus 2 J returns on same route same dates for me/girlfriend at the time/best mate/his wife at the time.

Outbound Nov 2003, returned Jan 2004. Great way to sandwich a road trip up and down the east coast of Australia.

can't remember how many points or tax pounds this cost, but it was a real bargain with Amex 241's kicking in. blast was had by all.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AZAL Gold, TK Elite, KC Nomad Club Blue
OK, not Avios, but BA Miles.

For me, without a doubt, it was Concorde LHR-JFK-LHR with my daughter on a 2-4-1 Amex voucher. Can't remember what it cost, but it was worth every single mile! (And the YQ was insignifcant in those days! )
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:04 am

2 people in First to CPT from Stockholm for 180,000 miles.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
As an expat frequently popping back to the UK for long weekends I've got to say I'm very pleased with the new saver redemptions within Europe. 18900 Avios + €64 for the three of us instead of ~€650.

Not the most exciting use of Avios but saves me cash on journeys I'm making anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
72k Avios + 108 ukp to take my family of four CE to Italy
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
F return on BA/QF to New Zealand for the 2011 RWC - great way to start and finish a 'sabbatical'

In terms of cpm I shudder to think, but not really the driver....
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure how it equated cost per mile, but I'm very happy with the LHR-ORD-JFK-LHR trip, all in F, for Mrs Lem and I that I got for 200k avios and about 1900
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Premium class flights to,IPC
(back in the "old" days.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
LHR BKK LHR, out on the top deck, back in the nose. A fabulous trip.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
50,000 miles return in J to Cape town during the half miles sale a few years ago. My first ever Club World flight, I really thought id made it as I flew over Algiers all lit up at night, tucked up with a glass of champagne.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
As someone who has acquired a considerably amount of Avios lately, but has never made a redemption, this thread interests me quite considerably.

I'm currently debating what to do with my haribos, but at present the winner is flying F to LHR-EZE on a 241 with Mrs W, to then take a cruise to Antarctica. Then maybe use a couple more 241s to fly the family out to Florida.

CPM doesn't interest me whatsoever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.