LGW First Lounge Food, Why inferior to T5 ?

Old Aug 8, 12, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
LGW First Lounge Food, Why inferior to T5 ?

The food on offer at LGW First lounge is really quite meagre compared to what is on offer at T5 Flounge. Why is that ? Should be the same general level of service. Seems that BA just cant be bothered. A few cold cuts, some wilted lettuce, cheese and celery, thats it. Pretty poor.
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ediYank View Post
The food on offer at LGW First lounge is really quite meagre compared to what is on offer at T5 Flounge. Why is that ? Should be the same general level of service. Seems that BA just cant be bothered. A few cold cuts, some wilted lettuce, cheese and celery, thats it. Pretty poor.
Presumably it's because the number of pax is smaller, and therefore less economically valuable and viable, which in turn is largely because BA's priority is Heathrow, especially T5.

I did have some tasty goulash soup in the LGW F lounge recently, with very nice service, but T5's food offer is far better.
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also a limited menu offering.

Given the sparse number of F flights I'm happy it is there instead of being decanted into the :shudder: Terraces.
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I'd wager the space constraints (back of house kitchen and front of house servery) influences the variety and quality of products available.
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The food selection in the LGW Galleries First is perfectly adequate given the small number of First flights and limited 'business' routes with GCHs IMO.

It's a nice space away from the Galleries Club lounge, although I was pretty impressed with the J lounge when I popped in last time I was at LGW. Much lighter and airier than the F lounge, and there were the lovely Balzac armchairs that used to be in the LHR T4 CCR.
Old Aug 8, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Despite the fact that i totally agree with all the comments re space and ability to offer more, i still think that in general the lounge offerings at LGW could be looked at, for instance, the breakfast offerings at the Galleries LGW v LHR is quite different, why couldnt LGW have some bacon or sausage sarnies ?

Likewise at lunchtimes, could 1 or 2 hot offerings other than soup not be offered ? Is it really that difficult to offer curry and rice and a veg pasta ? or similar?

Despite what i would love to see i very much doubt we will see anything at all until the future of the LGW base is somewhat more decided and secure

cs
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
What is the breakfast like in the First lounge at Gatwick? I ask because for my honeymoon in November we are staying over the night at the Gatwick Hilton and will have a choice of lounge or hotel breakfast the next morning.
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fruit, pastries, bacon rolls on request and a couple of other menu items.
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:17 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Arranguez View Post
What is the breakfast like in the First lounge at Gatwick? I ask because for my honeymoon in November we are staying over the night at the Gatwick Hilton and will have a choice of lounge or hotel breakfast the next morning.
The breakfast offering has improved recently. Alongside the famous bacon rolls you can get beans on toast with poached eggs!
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuff View Post
The breakfast offering has improved recently. Alongside the famous bacon rolls you can get beans on toast with poached eggs!
That looks pretty good for LGW!
Old Aug 12, 12, 8:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Definitely have your breakfast at the hotel.
LGW lounge menu is not comprehensive, and it's a small lounge so if there is a pain in the posterior type of a person (noisy, irritating etc) you have no escape.
Old Aug 12, 12, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
if there is a pain in the posterior type of a person (noisy, irritating etc) you have no escape.
There's a lovely and spacious/light Galleries Club lounge next door, don't you know
Old Aug 12, 12, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
There's a lovely and spacious/light Galleries Club lounge next door, don't you know
I think - at least in the mornings - it stopped being either lovely or spacious when they scaled it back in size a few years ago.

Last few times I've used it has - I think - always been for a TATL flight in the school hols and it's been rammed in there, getting progressively quieter as each 777 is called.
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Right you are, thanks guys. I'll have to stick my nose in anyway for an early Champagne snifter. Is the wne and champers on board different for First out of LGW and LHR - I mean in general. Lots of chat of LP Grand Sicle at LHR - never tried it, would quite like to!i
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Right you are, thanks guys. I'll have to stick my nose in anyway for an early Champagne snifter. Is the wne and champers on board different for First out of LGW and LHR - I mean in general. Lots of chat of LP Grand Sicle at LHR - never tried it, would quite like to!i
My experience was it was the same, although the food out of Gatwick was worse. I was told by crew that the refitted planes had better ovens in them, mind you, which can only be a good thing!

Search this Thread