Receipt for flown flight

Old Aug 8, 12, 9:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Programs: BA Gold; DL Diamond
Posts: 65
Receipt for flown flight

Seems so simple... I need to receipt for a flight flown last week to claim on expenses. Booked on BA.com but when I search for the PNR and Last Name I get an error message saying the flight has already been flown. Yes. I know. I just want a copy of my receipt. Must be a very common request. Am I being stupid (I will have been emailed a receipt but I have cleared my inbox since then)?

Also, is it possible to recover a ticket number from a previously flown PNR? Seems this aspect of BA.com is rather weak. Any e-commerce site in the world lets you view previous orders.
Leodiensian is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:05 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
(I will have been emailed a receipt but I have cleared my inbox since then)
Isn't the whole point of BA emailing you a receipt the fact that you then have a receipt for your records? If you destroy the document that BA has given you, you can hardly blame BA for that.
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
Any e-commerce site in the world lets you view previous orders.
There are plenty which don't.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hitchin, UK
Programs: BA Bronze
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
Seems so simple... I need to receipt for a flight flown last week to claim on expenses. Booked on BA.com but when I search for the PNR and Last Name I get an error message saying the flight has already been flown. Yes. I know. I just want a copy of my receipt. Must be a very common request. Am I being stupid (I will have been emailed a receipt but I have cleared my inbox since then)?

Also, is it possible to recover a ticket number from a previously flown PNR? Seems this aspect of BA.com is rather weak. Any e-commerce site in the world lets you view previous orders.

Have you tried your credit card statement - I know Amex show the ticket number on theirs?

andhow
andhow is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:17 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Programs: BA Gold; DL Diamond
Posts: 65
Email isn't secure or reliable (emails get lost, spam algorithms misfire). I am sure the data exists (I guess I need to call the Exec Club) it's just BA have chosen not to expose it in your account for some reason.
Leodiensian is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:26 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
Email isn't secure or reliable (emails get lost, spam algorithms misfire).
If you don't get an e-ticket immediately after booking, you have the opportunity to get one from MMB.

But that's academic, as you did get an email but you've deleted it.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:38 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom
Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Posts: 5,955
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
Seems so simple... I need to receipt for a flight flown last week to claim on expenses. Booked on BA.com but when I search for the PNR and Last Name I get an error message saying the flight has already been flown. Yes. I know. I just want a copy of my receipt. Must be a very common request. Am I being stupid (I will have been emailed a receipt but I have cleared my inbox since then)?

Also, is it possible to recover a ticket number from a previously flown PNR? Seems this aspect of BA.com is rather weak. Any e-commerce site in the world lets you view previous orders.
Ignore the folks who all say it's your fault for deleting the receipt.

It IS a simple perfectly reasonable request and why BA doesn't make it easy to get this from the website I'm not quite sure.

This is something they should provide and would not be rocket science to implement.

Try giving them a call maybe? Please let us know how you get on!

Good luck
PanGalactic is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "The regions" of the UK
Posts: 161
Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
Ignore the folks who all say it's your fault for deleting the receipt.

It IS a simple perfectly reasonable request and why BA doesn't make it easy to get this from the website I'm not quite sure.

This is something they should provide and would not be rocket science to implement.

Try giving them a call maybe? Please let us know how you get on!

Good luck
+1- we are not all perfect.

I know agents can access cancelled itineraries, so I'd think there will be a way to access flown bookings. Give them a call. As others have said, the e-ticket number may be on your credit/debit card statement.
leavingonajetplane is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:48 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom
Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Posts: 5,955
Out of interest, do any other airlines provide the ability to get copy invoices? If so, how far can you go back?
PanGalactic is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 5:53 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
... and why BA doesn't make it easy to get this from the website I'm not quite sure.
I can't speak for BA, but if I had to guess, I imagine it might go something like this:

"We (BA) have given you an e-ticket receipt by email. If that wasn't enough, at any time before you flew the flight, you could have got another one from the website. Indeed, for about 24 hours or so after the flight you could still have got another one from the website. You could have done any of these things at these times if there was the slightest possibility that you might need a copy in the future. So why should we go to the trouble and expense of developing a website functionality for those who were too lacking in foresight, organisation or self-awareness to avail themselves of any of these opportunities, but only realised the need for a receipt for the first time a long time after the flight? After all, you can still call us and ask, as these remain stored by Amadeus for quite a while."
Globaliser is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:08 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,682
Originally Posted by Leodiensian View Post
Seems so simple... I need to receipt for a flight flown last week to claim on expenses. Booked on BA.com but when I search for the PNR and Last Name I get an error message saying the flight has already been flown. Yes. I know. I just want a copy of my receipt. Must be a very common request. Am I being stupid (I will have been emailed a receipt but I have cleared my inbox since then)?

Also, is it possible to recover a ticket number from a previously flown PNR? Seems this aspect of BA.com is rather weak. Any e-commerce site in the world lets you view previous orders.
From ba.com:
If your ticket was purchased directly from British Airways and you have travelled with us within the last 48 hours, your booking will still be visible on ba.com and the option for the credit cardholder to print an e-ticket receipt copy will be available. Please use the 'Manage My Booking' option on the top of the ba.com home page.

If it is longer than 48 hours since your last flight, the credit card holder for the booking must request a duplicate e-ticket receipt in writing.

The following details must be included in the request:
- Name and contact details
- Details of whether the booking was ever changed
- The British Airways booking reference, or ticket number(s)
- Number of passengers that were travelling
- Date of travel, route and flight numbers
- A valid postal address to send the proof of cancellation documentation to.

Fax:
Please mark the fax - 'Duplicate Receipt' and send to - + 44 (0) 191 227 2729

Post:
Duplicate Receipt
British Airways
Po Box 252
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE99 1XW
If you need proof that you did or did not travel, including detailed fare/price information, we have a team that can help customers resident in the UK.
**Important** If you booked through a travel agency/third party please refer back to them as we are unable to assist.

We will need the following information: booking reference or ticket numbers / number of passengers travelling / date of travel, route and flight numbers / a valid postal address to send the documentation to.
Please be aware that if proof of travel is required for multiple passengers from the same booking but with different surnames, each passenger must give authority and provide a specific personal address.

The passengers that need this information can either contact the team on 0844 493 0787, or submit their request in writing - either by post or fax as follows:

Fax:
Please mark the fax "Proof of travel/non-travel" and send to: + 44 (0) 191 227 2729

Post:
British Airways Proof of Travel
PO Box 252
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE99 1XB.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 8, 12 at 6:21 pm
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:11 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom
Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Posts: 5,955
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I can't speak for BA, but if I had to guess, I imagine it might go something like this:

"We (BA) have given you an e-ticket receipt by email. If that wasn't enough, at any time before you flew the flight, you could have got another one from the website. Indeed, for about 24 hours or so after the flight you could still have got another one from the website. You could have done any of these things at these times if there was the slightest possibility that you might need a copy in the future. So why should we go to the trouble and expense of developing a website functionality for those who were too lacking in foresight, organisation or self-awareness to avail themselves of any of these opportunities, but only realised the need for a receipt for the first time a long time after the flight? After all, you can still call us and ask, as these remain stored by Amadeus for quite a while."

I believe by law (my accountant told me this, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) companies are obliged to keep records of transactions for the past 6 years in case of a tax inspection. I hardly think the "trouble and expense" of developing functionality to let customers view their past flights and request copy invoices from the website would be very much at all in the big scheme of things. Also it's little things like this which you have to phone up for which all add up and clog the phone lines when people are trying to get through. If you can get a copy invoice 24 hours or so after the flight, why not leave it there a little longer? Sure when the system was originally developed the cost of storing the data would have been a consideration, but this shouldn't be an issue in this day and age.

Not everybody has a corporate TA booking platform which manages these sort of things for them and I'm sure small business owners would be grateful for this functionality when trying to collect all the receipts for their accountant at 3:00am on the last day of each quarter.

Hotel websites don't seem to have a problem showing you your past stays and letting you get copy folios.

It's clearly something people want which could be easily done, what is the problem?
PanGalactic is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 993
I can assure you that even the simplest of technological aspirations and changes are a great trouble and expense when you are a large corporation like BA.
visualAd is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:31 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom
Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Posts: 5,955
Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
I can assure you that even the simplest of technological aspirations and changes are a great trouble and expense when you are a large corporation like BA.

So changing the line of code in the software which says clear the data after 24 hours is more trouble and expense then hiring more staff to answer phone calls because the lines are clogged up and employing someone to read faxes, print and post out copy invoices?
PanGalactic is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:34 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,025
Given that BA IT is held together by twine and sellotape, it probably is!
stifle is offline  
Old Aug 8, 12, 6:36 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
So changing the line of code in the software which says clear the data after 24 hours is more trouble and expense then hiring more staff to answer phone calls because the lines are clogged up and employing someone to read faxes, print and post out copy invoices?
How do you know it's as simple as changing one line of code?

Did you write the code?

Did you design Amadeus?

Easier question: Have you ever retrieved a historical e-ticket receipt from Amadeus? Notice that there's a different step involved?
Globaliser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread