Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why No TailCams on BA Aircraft? Is It Something People Enjoy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why No TailCams on BA Aircraft? Is It Something People Enjoy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Why no A380 tailcam view on IFE?

Perhaps I am the only one who still cares about this topic, but I am stumped as to why BA has decided to be the sole A380 operator not to provide access to at least the tailcam (if not the many other) views via the IFE?

- As far as I know the New Thales IFE is perfectly capable of broadcasting this view
- I know for certain (thanks to BBC's Airport Live) that the BA A380s have all the same views as every other operator.
- Apart from perhaps a pre-existing software fix I don't see any additional cost.
- And as already confirmed on this thread by Prospero there is no UK regulation that would prohibit such a use.

While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is something a lot of passengers seem to enjoy...
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Who needs a camera when you can fit a few extra seats to the belly and tail of the aircraft and sell them at a premium?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
There are lots of other things that BA didn't adopt - showers in the loo, urinals, bars, lounge areas - or could have done - real suites in F, updated CW seating without the dreaded centre pairs/non-step over aisle access.

I haven't been on BA's A380 yet, but its fair to say that I'm not particularly excited at the prospect. It isn't the game changer compared to when the 747was introduced. It's just a bigger plane with more passengers without any of the bells and whistles available elsewhere.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
You have to remember that none of BA's customers actually wanted anything different as they might get a bit confused and not realise which airline they were flying if all wasn't the same as nearly every other BA plane for the last decade or so

I've got the dilemma of what to film on my forthcoming QF A380 flight.
Do I watch: the tail cam view during take-off; the window view; dart back and forth between them; camera and tablet at the same time?
At least with BA it's a choice of wing for half the plane or an obscure angled window view.

Agree that the A380 isn't a game changer. Should have been an opportunity to try something different even if they just put different premium seating on one deck.
The side bins in Y are good touch although the IFE boxes are really badly placed still and you lose a lot of overhead baggage space upstairs at the window seats.

I would personally be happy to watch a tailcam especially if not in a window seat as most of the plane won't be or if you're coming into certain places i.e Singapore with all the container ships (not an A380 route for BA but someone flies it)
Quite exciting seeing take-offs and landings from a different perspective.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:37 am

My intention was not and is not to instigate another moaning, anti-BA rant thread... I would really appreciate if someone could provide a reasonable answer. Perhaps someone who works for BA or one of the FT Ambassadors who interact with BA.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:26 am

Well, in the same way that BA didn't adopt any other features that it might have, I put it down to one of 3 things:

Cost, customer feed-back (saying no one wanted it) or lack of imagination.

I suspect cost is the real answer.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Even if they were put on you wouldnt be able to watch them in F/J due to the IFE location for take off and landing.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by bealine
In the UK, under advice from the Information Commisioner's Office, the use of closed-circuit TV cameras should be restricted to the "prevention and detection of crome only". The ability to "snoop" on individuals could result in prosecution.
Which law exactly is that then? While I believe the ICO advises they are only used for crime prevention, that doesn't make it law. Companies use them for a myriad of uses. One major supermarket I know uses them to monitor how busy the store is to make sure they get enough check out operators on.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by shogan1977
Perhaps I am the only one who still cares about this topic, but I am stumped as to why BA has decided to be the sole A380 operator not to provide access to at least the tailcam (if not the many other) views via the IFE?
I agree fully. ^ I've enjoyed the tailcam on other airlines' A380 and it's a real shame BA isn't putting it on the IFE.

I don't for a moment believe there are legal obstacles, that's all a red herring IMHO. I would hope BA will sort this out.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
The cameras are there it's just not part of the IFE. Not sure why.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
The cameras are there it's just not part of the IFE. Not sure why.
That's the question... Why?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I see BA as a bit like British Leyland cars in some respects. It's "OK" if you're not unlucky. It won't have all the extras that others provide. Other cars go faster, or are more reliable, or have bling wheels and racing stripes and better upholstery. But it's fairly cheap (by an unknown value of cheap).

BA is safe, stolid and functional. No bling, no flash and nothing to get emotional about, apart from that fact that it's British!!

I file a tailcam under WIBN ... Wouldn't it be nice. Personally I'm not bothered ... Just one more thing that might go wrong, leading to endless complaints here about not being able to watch it (down the back).
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I see BA as a bit like British Leyland cars in some respects. It's "OK" if you're not unlucky. It won't have all the extras that others provide. Other cars go faster, or are more reliable, or have bling wheels and racing stripes and better upholstery. But it's fairly cheap (by an unknown value of cheap).

BA is safe, stolid and functional. No bling, no flash and nothing to get emotional about, apart from that fact that it's British!!

I file a tailcam under WIBN ... Wouldn't it be nice. Personally I'm not bothered ... Just one more thing that might go wrong, leading to endless complaints here about not being able to watch it (down the back).
I'd agree with you Uncle T apart from one point - BA isn't noticeably a discount airline. Their fares are often sky high and there's no way we can afford to fly BA to Asia when the other carriers are a) cheaper and b) miles ahead on almost any aspect of service you care to name.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:26 am

TopSeries doesn't include the functionality by default, from what I understand. It's a separate software module that has to be paid for, same for the wireless features too.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I'd agree with you Uncle T apart from one point - BA isn't noticeably a discount airline. Their fares are often sky high and there's no way we can afford to fly BA to Asia when the other carriers are a) cheaper and b) miles ahead on almost any aspect of service you care to name.
Fair enough. I don't fly East, so have no reference point

But I have no problem (on our pensions) with TATL fares ... perhaps that's a different dimension, especially at sale prices? Anyway, my pricing datum cited earlier was deliberately vague!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.