Baggage size question

Old Aug 5, 12, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Baggage size question

I am confused by the BA website on baggage allowance.

"How large can my bag be?
The maximum dimensions of the bag are:

90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16 in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

What to do with larger/bulky items
You may take bags up to the dimensions 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in), including the handle, pockets and wheels."

So which is it? 90x75x43 or 190x75x65? Our Flyertalk BA baggage sticky says 190x75x65 but then I dont understand the BA website.

If it matters, I am flying First and want to check a long ish box which is about 150cm in length. Would be checking 1 or 2 other (normal) bags as well.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:24 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
I think what it means is that you get the lower limit as a 'free', regular checked bag (maximum). Over that, it is an 'outsize item' and for that, 190 is the maximum. Beyond that, you're in cargo territory. The outsize label is often applied to skis, golf clubs, etc. I guess you'll be fine - your box will get spat out of the oversize baggage belt at your destination, as it were.
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VolcanoMan View Post
I think what it means is that you get the lower limit as a 'free', regular checked bag (maximum). Over that, it is an 'outsize item' and for that, 190 is the maximum. Beyond that, you're in cargo territory. The outsize label is often applied to skis, golf clubs, etc. I guess you'll be fine - your box will get spat out of the oversize baggage belt at your destination, as it were.
OK thanks. So what does 'outsize item' mean. Is there an extra charge? Can I check it in at the regular first check-in at T5?
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
I believe there is possibly a charge of 40 for an outsize item. Someone will probably correct me shortly if I have that wrong. You would check in at your usual desk but probably then have to bring the outsize item yourself to a special belt.
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If the bag is over standard size you can take up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm without problems.
This covers things like skis, snowboards, surfboards, golf clubs etc etc

This bag is included within your baggage allowance so if it is your only bag then you can carry it for free. If not you can buy an extra bag allowance

I regularly take 1 bag and 1 snowboard bag as being gold I am entitled to 2 bags without having to pay extra.

If you need to purchase an extra bag purchase it online as its cheaper than at the airport

Last edited by zippyboarder; Aug 5, 12 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zippyboarder View Post
If the bag is over standard size you can take up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm without problems.
This covers things like skis, snowboards, surfboards, golf clubs etc etc

This bag is included within your baggage allowance so if it is your only bag then you can carry it for free. If not you can buy an extra bag allowance

I regularly take 1 bag and 1 snowboard bag as being gold I am entitled to 2 bags without having to pay extra.

If you need to purchase an extra bag purchase it online as its cheaper than at the airport
OK thanks - so flying First I can take the oversize bag plus 2 standard bags without paying any extra charges (3 bags allowed in First).

Still think the BA website is confusing. If you can take a bag up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm, why even mention the 'standard size'?
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In First you can carry 3 bags up to the 190 x 75 x 65 and 32kgs in weight each as BA waive the heavy bag charge for customers in First
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
If you can take a bag up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm, why even mention the 'standard size'?
If you are flying in Y without status the oversized bag charge would apply.
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:42 pm

I had to bring a large box on my outbound this trip. I was surprised not to be charged, but obviously didn't question it! Now I know why - a benefit of statusi didn't know
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
So which is it? 90x75x43 or 190x75x65
Recently discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...on-thread.html

Search this Thread