Baggage size question

Old Aug 5, 12, 7:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYLON - AA EXP 1MM, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,180
Baggage size question

I am confused by the BA website on baggage allowance.

"How large can my bag be?
The maximum dimensions of the bag are:

90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16 in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

What to do with larger/bulky items
You may take bags up to the dimensions 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in), including the handle, pockets and wheels."

So which is it? 90x75x43 or 190x75x65? Our Flyertalk BA baggage sticky says 190x75x65 but then I dont understand the BA website.

If it matters, I am flying First and want to check a long ish box which is about 150cm in length. Would be checking 1 or 2 other (normal) bags as well.

Thanks!
1/4MM@20 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: By the sea...
Programs: BA/EC Silver
Posts: 564
I think what it means is that you get the lower limit as a 'free', regular checked bag (maximum). Over that, it is an 'outsize item' and for that, 190 is the maximum. Beyond that, you're in cargo territory. The outsize label is often applied to skis, golf clubs, etc. I guess you'll be fine - your box will get spat out of the oversize baggage belt at your destination, as it were.
VolcanoMan is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:30 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYLON - AA EXP 1MM, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,180
Originally Posted by VolcanoMan View Post
I think what it means is that you get the lower limit as a 'free', regular checked bag (maximum). Over that, it is an 'outsize item' and for that, 190 is the maximum. Beyond that, you're in cargo territory. The outsize label is often applied to skis, golf clubs, etc. I guess you'll be fine - your box will get spat out of the oversize baggage belt at your destination, as it were.
OK thanks. So what does 'outsize item' mean. Is there an extra charge? Can I check it in at the regular first check-in at T5?
1/4MM@20 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:26 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,025
I believe there is possibly a charge of 40 for an outsize item. Someone will probably correct me shortly if I have that wrong. You would check in at your usual desk but probably then have to bring the outsize item yourself to a special belt.
stifle is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Highlands but mostly GIG
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 482
If the bag is over standard size you can take up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm without problems.
This covers things like skis, snowboards, surfboards, golf clubs etc etc

This bag is included within your baggage allowance so if it is your only bag then you can carry it for free. If not you can buy an extra bag allowance

I regularly take 1 bag and 1 snowboard bag as being gold I am entitled to 2 bags without having to pay extra.

If you need to purchase an extra bag purchase it online as its cheaper than at the airport

Last edited by zippyboarder; Aug 5, 12 at 10:49 am
zippyboarder is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:15 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYLON - AA EXP 1MM, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,180
Originally Posted by zippyboarder View Post
If the bag is over standard size you can take up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm without problems.
This covers things like skis, snowboards, surfboards, golf clubs etc etc

This bag is included within your baggage allowance so if it is your only bag then you can carry it for free. If not you can buy an extra bag allowance

I regularly take 1 bag and 1 snowboard bag as being gold I am entitled to 2 bags without having to pay extra.

If you need to purchase an extra bag purchase it online as its cheaper than at the airport
OK thanks - so flying First I can take the oversize bag plus 2 standard bags without paying any extra charges (3 bags allowed in First).

Still think the BA website is confusing. If you can take a bag up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm, why even mention the 'standard size'?
1/4MM@20 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Highlands but mostly GIG
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 482
In First you can carry 3 bags up to the 190 x 75 x 65 and 32kgs in weight each as BA waive the heavy bag charge for customers in First
zippyboarder is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,135
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
If you can take a bag up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm, why even mention the 'standard size'?
If you are flying in Y without status the oversized bag charge would apply.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:42 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,513
I had to bring a large box on my outbound this trip. I was surprised not to be charged, but obviously didn't question it! Now I know why - a benefit of statusi didn't know
ColdWalker is offline  
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:52 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
So which is it? 90x75x43 or 190x75x65
Recently discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...on-thread.html
Globaliser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread