Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption availability West Coast USA Summer '13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm after some more top advice from the experts!

I have enough miles and companion vouchers for the 4 of us (3 adults and 1 child) to go to the West coast USA next Summer, Club or First. Ideally we'd like to fly into San Francisco or LA, however Las Vegas or San Diego would also be fine. The problem is it would need to be in the UK school summer holidays, so from late July.

When do BA release availability? At the moment I can only see up to July '13.
What are the chances of getting 4 seats in the same cabin under redemption? (We flew to NYC First last time and that was easy but guess it's a much more frequent route).

Any pointers or suggestions?

Many thanks
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Release is usually around 12 months ahead [is it 354 days?] so this should start showing up soon.

As to getting 4 seats … I guess if you're quick when the dates open up you could be lucky.

However, I know nothing about the pressures on West Coast routes … someone else will know
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I'd suggest checking daily and booking as soon as you see availability on the flights you want. I booked a couple of months ago for 2 x First reward seats to (LHR -> SFO, MIA -> LHR) over Easter. The flights are three weeks apart and by the time the return seats became available the outbounds availability had dropped significantly. Being flexible and moving your plans back or forward a day or to will likely be key to being successful to getting 4 seats.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Beergander
Hi,

I'm after some more top advice from the experts!

I have enough miles and companion vouchers for the 4 of us (3 adults and 1 child) to go to the West coast USA next Summer, Club or First. Ideally we'd like to fly into San Francisco or LA, however Las Vegas or San Diego would also be fine. The problem is it would need to be in the UK school summer holidays, so from late July.

When do BA release availability? At the moment I can only see up to July '13.
What are the chances of getting 4 seats in the same cabin under redemption? (We flew to NYC First last time and that was easy but guess it's a much more frequent route).

It is possible as I have done it and no less that 4 times in 4 years. The problem is they are very erratic and there is no real indication when they will be released

For example this time last year the talk was all about the Olympics and lack of availability and this was true till around Feb when the hotels in London were handed back 250,000 room nights by LOCOG. The very next day seats were available on most long haul routes right in the middle of the games. I snapped up 4 but to Asia and not the USA but I could have gone almost anywhere for a few short days.

I went to the USA and SFO last Christmas and could not get back after Dec 31st but 2 days before I returned home BA released 36 F seats over the first 4 days of Jan with 14 alone on Jan 1st.

My flight to HKG this week had 2 others plus my family of 4 in F but no other F avios we made available on this flight at any time up to departure. Mad really!

Bottom line is there is no ryme or reason to how they are released and you just need to keep looking.

Be aware that open jaw now incurs addition off line booking fees (it is BA after all the worlds most Fee Ridden full service carrier) and you will also pay fees for any changes.

Good luck.

Any pointers or suggestions?

Many thanks
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA or www.avios.com zone maps have an availability function. This should show where there are ticket for sale using avios. At the moment for Las Veags there are tickets, sadly on up to the 17th July. Maybe have a play yourself to see what fiss your family needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.