Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I won't touch your hand luggage, but he will...

I won't touch your hand luggage, but he will...

Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by CityFlyer99
shouldn't even be in a customer services role
If one has a customer service role it does not mean that one has to carry somebody else's bags! The attitude of some people...that is what's infuriating not that CC refuse to lift bags!

If you're my lawyer, accountant, etc.. would you be carrying my bags just because you provide a service?

It has been pointed out many times that the majority of CC have no problem with lifting a small bag for a person who cannot put it into the overhead bins themselves...but if a person if unable to do so then a small bag is all they need to carry onto the aircraft. The problem is with people who clearly know that they are too short, fragile, lazy, important to do the lifting...but still take a heavy bag onboard believing that someone will be required to help them against the warning from the ariline that they should only take something onboard if they are able to lift it...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
If one has a customer service role it does not mean that one has to carry somebody else's bags! The attitude of some people...that is what's infuriating not that CC refuse to lift bags!
If someone has a customer service role they need to be able to say 'No' politely.

Even if I ask for something which they can't or won't give me, they still need to be able to say 'No' politely...

If they can't manage to do that then you have to question their suitability for any customer service role!

If you're my lawyer, accountant, etc.. would you be carrying my bags just because you provide a service?
If someone was my lawyer or accountant, if they were rude to me (!) they wouldn't stay employed by me for very long, it wouldn't matter how good they were at their job.

It has been pointed out many times that the majority of CC have no problem with lifting a small bag for a person who cannot put it into the overhead bins themselves...but if a person if unable to do so then a small bag is all they need to carry onto the aircraft. The problem is with people who clearly know that they are too short, fragile, lazy, important to do the lifting...but still take a heavy bag onboard believing that someone will be required to help them against the warning from the ariline that they should only take something onboard if they are able to lift it...
Ever heard of the expression "the customer is always right" / "Der Kunde ist König" / whatever local version you use?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Ever heard of the expression "the customer is always right" / "Der Kunde ist König" / whatever local version you use?
Where do you draw the line then between what a member of the cabin crew can and cannot be asked to do?

I think the problem starts when people ask for a service which is clearly and expressly not included into the price of a ticket (same as people asking to guest more people into lounges knowing perfectly well they can't).

Yes, being rude is absolutely out of line but I would not believe every word of a passenger who was refused assistance with a bag because a refusal itself may seem to be rude to them.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Where do you draw the line then between what a member of the cabin crew can and cannot be asked to do?
That's an excellent point and well made.

The answer is 'common sense'. My view is that all too often the decision is taken away from the individual (who would usually come up with a common sense decision of their own) and made for them. Hence my overwhelming frustration with the 'nanny state'.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

Short or disabled people just don't need hand luggage like "normal" people, do they? A small bag is all that short or disabled people need.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
Short or disabled people just don't need hand luggage like "normal" people, do they? A small bag is all that short or disabled people need.
That's not what I meant to say. Some people, unfortunately, can only take a small bag because that's all they can physically carry themselves in light of absence of personal porters.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by hrnt
It is not really comparable, because the SQ carry-on weight limit is only 7kg.
Perhaps therein lies the way ahead for BA.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad

The answer is 'common sense'.
Yes but I'm afraid using common sense nowadays can get you into trouble.

In my last job I had to abide by all sorts of new rules and regulations forced on us by Government bods via our management. One day I was taken upstairs and given a written warning for using common sense during a situation which had occurred....something I had done for years without anyone batting an eyelid.
After that scolding I carried out my job going by the book regularly reminding management that I couldn't do that favour they wanted me to do because it wasn't following proper procedure previously enforced by them.
In other words instead of allowing common sense to prevail and keeping everyone happy they ended up shooting themselves in the foot.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
In other words instead of allowing common sense to prevail and keeping everyone happy they ended up shooting themselves in the foot.
+1

And on the face of it, post #1 in this thread offers a classic example of just that.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Perhaps therein lies the way ahead for BA.
Or perhaps here lies the way ahead for SQ

I guess boils down to which the customers prefer: assistance when lifting the bags, or higher carry-on limits.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, bmi DC Gold, EI GC, TK M&S Elite, Aegean M&B Silver, HHonors Gold, Junior Jet Club

You completely miss my point; I have a problem with the attitude the OP witnessed, and I have a problem with the current policy and its consequences.

And yes, for clarity, the customer is always right. Sufficient noise about any policy indicates someone should be thinking about a rewrite / change.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by HilFly
No one needs all this hand baggage in the cabin, they just take it on because it saves them a bit of time and because most of them realise that they, themselves have to lift the bags.

If you were boarding an aircraft at some outstations and you could see what people try and bring on, you would be shocked. Some of the wheelies that we turn away at the door and have to get tagged are the size of a very large suitcase and would not even fit into the overhead bins. People just push the boundaries to the limit.

As I have said before I have had a woman ask me, a smaller person than her, to stow her bag and it was so heavy I could not even lift it off the floor to gage the weight.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:25 am

Common sense is that if you cannot lift YOUR bag into the overhead locker or stow it under the seat in front then check it in!

If you are disabled then you will be provided help. If you are just short, have a bad back or injured arm etc, then you may like to think about that when packing your bags

It is called taking a bit of personal responsibility!!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad
+1

And on the face of it, post #1 in this thread offers a classic example of just that.
Of course what we don't know is who is to blame?

Legislation,management or the union? Probably a bit of all three plus the customer I imagine.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Some people, unfortunately, can only take a small bag because that's all they can physically carry themselves in light of absence of personal porters.
Indeed. I put up with taking just a very small bag on board for a while when I injured my shoulder and I couldn't lift one of my arms above my shoulder. You often end up having to adjust the way you do things so that it's still within your own capability, so you do so and come up with a workaround.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.