Strange drinks service LAS-LHR in WT

Old Jul 30, 12, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Strange drinks service LAS-LHR in WT

Hello All

My brother and his wife flew back from their honeymoon last week, LAS-LHR in WT. During the flight when the lights were off, my Sister-in-Law asked for a glass of water and an apple juice, which she duly received. She then asked for a glass of water for my brother, who was asleep. The CC refused, and said that the drinks she had had were all that she was getting and nothing else was available.

Now, i could understand if it was her 20th gin that she was asking for - but it was water for my brother?! and neither of them had been drinking on the flight?

I am really quite annoyed about it (yes, possibly irrationally) and in the end, my sis-in-law gave her water to my bro. I can't understand why the CC refused water (or for that matter, any soft drink) to a passenger?!

We don't usually complain about things, but I feel that they should here, as in my mind that service is unacceptable without good reason.

I would be interested to know if any FTers agree or know of any reason why water would be refused?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
When we did LHR-LAS-LHR in WT+ last year, there were no more drinks available from about 3 hours into the flight "because we don't restock in Vegas so have to save some for passengers on the journey back"

On the journey back, no drinks available about a similar time in "because most of them were taken in the flight out"

Wasn't happy
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA return loads the bars for this flight, I believe this is because they want to restrict the amount of alcohol available. We also do this on other flights but on these flights there is never the demand as on the LAS flights.
Nobody should ever be refused water or soft drinks.
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I would get your sister in law to put in a complaint.

To refuse you water is a H&S matter I would have thought.
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you darthlemsip - sorry that you had that too - assume it was both alcohol and soft drinks that were affected? did you complain to BA?

CIHP - thank you for that information, I can understand why BA would return load to/from LAS, are you saying though that the CC was in the wrong here by refusing soft drinks? I find it quite astonishing!
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I would get your sister in law to put in a complaint.

To refuse you water is a H&S matter I would have thought.
Thanks Hiddy - I have said that she should complain and I will draft it for her, but I wanted to get opinions from FTers just in case it was standard procedure...
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
That's awful service! I have only flown BA within Europe and found it mediocre at best. I will not try them internationally if they can't fulfill a simple water request.meven American airlines who is bad in international economy does that.
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:41 am

Yes, was all drinks - in the end I walked through to the CW galley and asked there for some water, which we got.

I did complain and get a response along the lines of "We're really busy at the moment, so here's some Avios and go away"
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by TWATWA View Post
That's awful service! I have only flown BA within Europe and found it mediocre at best. I will not try them internationally if they can't fulfill a simple water request.meven American airlines who is bad in international economy does that.
I should stress this has only ever happened to me on the LAS route, and a friend advised that exactly the same thing happened when he flew out there with Virgin.

I'm wondering if BA will be able to restock out there when they move to the new international terminal?
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
Hello All

My brother and his wife flew back from their honeymoon last week, LAS-LHR in WT. During the flight when the lights were off, my Sister-in-Law asked for a glass of water and an apple juice, which she duly received. She then asked for a glass of water for my brother, who was asleep. The CC refused, and said that the drinks she had had were all that she was getting and nothing else was available.

Now, i could understand if it was her 20th gin that she was asking for - but it was water for my brother?! and neither of them had been drinking on the flight?

I am really quite annoyed about it (yes, possibly irrationally) and in the end, my sis-in-law gave her water to my bro. I can't understand why the CC refused water (or for that matter, any soft drink) to a passenger?!

We don't usually complain about things, but I feel that they should here, as in my mind that service is unacceptable without good reason.

I would be interested to know if any FTers agree or know of any reason why water would be refused?

Thanks!
From the reply of the CC, it sounds like they misheard the request and thought it was for some alcohol. I can't imagine they would ever refuse water!
There is normally water & juice available in the galley for the duration of the flight, didn't your sister-in-law look there?
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:50 am

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
We had a similar experience a few years back in WT, just before they changed from the 777 to the 747 on the LAS route (and before I had got to grips with the wisdom of MFUing to CW!).

I was sitting in a bulkhead seat and chatting to the crew member seated across from me as we came in to land. She told me that all of the alcohol had been drunk during our flight and that the return passengers weren't going to be happy. She told me the same as CIHY... they load in LHR for both outbound and return legs.

I did write about this on the Air Travel forum at TA at the time, and a few of the regulars on there were disbelieveing that the plane had run dry. Sounds as if it's a fairly regular occurrence on this route (in WT at least), and whilst I appreciate BA's reasons for wanting to restrict the quantity of alcohol available, there really does need to be a fairer way of ensuring that passengers departing LAS are disadvantaged.

Probably unsurprisingly, no such issue was apparent when we flew the same route in October, but in CW!
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip View Post
Yes, was all drinks - in the end I walked through to the CW galley and asked there for some water, which we got.

I did complain and get a response along the lines of "We're really busy at the moment, so here's some Avios and go away"
So the premium passengers can stay hydrated but not those in cattle class? that makes me more annoyed as maybe they think that those at the back of plane as less likely to complain?
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britbronco22 View Post
From the reply of the CC, it sounds like they misheard the request and thought it was for some alcohol. I can't imagine they would ever refuse water!
There is normally water & juice available in the galley for the duration of the flight, didn't your sister-in-law look there?
That's what I thought (that it must have been a misunderstanding) but she said she asked twice and both times refused. I know she's got a broad scottish accent, but it isn't hard to understand!

re the water and juice in the galley, she said there wasn't any.
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would send in a very short complaint which leaves out all of the side issues such as who got apple juice.

Simply say, "I was distressed that BA did not load sufficient water for my flight from LAS-LHR on [date] to serve all passengers. While serving me, a FA declined to provide a glass of water for my husband. This is a health & safety matter far beyond customer service."

I can absolutely understand the liquor thing on LAS flights, it's a problem for every foreign & domestic carrier serving the airport. But, not restocking potable water on a flight which is essentially TCON+TATL is foolish. Water is also handled differently than alcohol and, presuming that the aircraft is catered at all which it is, there's no reason for the water issue.
Old Jul 30, 12, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zafiragirl View Post
We had a similar experience a few years back in WT, just before they changed from the 777 to the 747 on the LAS route (and before I had got to grips with the wisdom of MFUing to CW!).

I was sitting in a bulkhead seat and chatting to the crew member seated across from me as we came in to land. She told me that all of the alcohol had been drunk during our flight and that the return passengers weren't going to be happy. She told me the same as CIHY... they load in LHR for both outbound and return legs.

I did write about this on the Air Travel forum at TA at the time, and a few of the regulars on there were disbelieveing that the plane had run dry. Sounds as if it's a fairly regular occurrence on this route (in WT at least), and whilst I appreciate BA's reasons for wanting to restrict the quantity of alcohol available, there really does need to be a fairer way of ensuring that passengers departing LAS are disadvantaged.

Probably unsurprisingly, no such issue was apparent when we flew the same route in October, but in CW!
Haha i am educating them in world of Avios collecting and MFUs. I tried to upgrade them for their honeymoon flights, but no availability next time I will definitely treat them so they'll be able to drink their fill of water/apple juice without complaint!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: