Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking a flight using avios for someone else?

Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Quick question - can I book a flight for someone else using my avios? Can't seem to find any info suggesting I can, but thought it worth asking here!

Cheers
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
yes, you can book a flight for whomever you want if you have a regular avios account.

If you have a household account (ie you and others in your house linked together) then things are different.

I have done it many times and you don't have to fly with them, be there at check-in etc etc, you are effectively acting as a travel agent for them.

NB. It is against the rules to "trade" your miles ie: You are not allowed to buy a flight for someone else (on miles) and receive recompense for doing it
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
It is against the rules to "trade" your miles ie: You are not allowed to buy a flight for someone else (on miles) and receive recompense for doing it
Aren't you spitting on your own user name by pointing this out?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
yes, you can book a flight for whomever you want if you have a regular avios account.

If you have a household account (ie you and others in your house linked together) then things are different.

I have done it many times and you don't have to fly with them, be there at check-in etc etc, you are effectively acting as a travel agent for them.

NB. It is against the rules to "trade" your miles ie: You are not allowed to buy a flight for someone else (on miles) and receive recompense for doing it
Great, thanks for the quick reply!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:05 pm

Even having a household account (I do), you can still CHOOSE to book for someone ELSE not under the household account? assuming I'm not using Avios points from other household members

eg I have 19K Avios in MY account, 20K household account
can I book for a FRIEND short-haul flight at 9000?
and he/she doesn't have to be in my HH account
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No

You would need to break up your HHA first or add your friend to your HHA
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Being in a BAEC household account can a book a trip for 2 people one being me and one being a friend (not in the ha)?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply

Google found this link, confirming it's probably not possible either
http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...ccount-members

now the question is - can we delete/create HHA on demand? eg remove members, book for friend, add HH back?

or it's easier to add friend as HHA? ha ha
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-member.html
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Just to resurrect this thread from the dead.

Booked a flight for my other half using my avios. Not sure what I did during the booking process, but I now noticed on MMB that her name is on the ticket (so all fine there), however my EC number is next to her name as if it is hers.

Will there be any issue with this? Is it worth calling and getting them to remove it?

Thanks,

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Sep 30, 2014 at 6:16 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Will there be any issue with this? Is it worth calling and getting them to remove it?
No, and no. I see this frequently.

If you put her BAEC number into the booking during the booking process, it will probably show up properly on the boarding passes, anyway.

And if you look on classic.checkmytrip.com, you may find that her BAEC number is properly recorded against her name after all.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, and no. I see this frequently.

If you put her BAEC number into the booking during the booking process, it will probably show up properly on the boarding passes, anyway.

And if you look on classic.checkmytrip.com, you may find that her BAEC number is properly recorded against her name after all.
Thanks for clearing up, she was starting to worry!

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Sep 30, 2014 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Quick question for the founts of knowledge on here to check whether the above is still the case. I want to book a redemption flight for Mrs S, who is a long-standing member of our HHA, using my BAEC account and my/our avios. A very decent saving to be had on the silly prices to NYC in August. To be clear, I am not travelling on the booking, or at all, and I do not even intend to take her to the airport so I can be no assistance with check-in. Is this OK?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by snuffi
Quick question for the founts of knowledge on here to check whether the above is still the case. I want to book a redemption flight for Mrs S, who is a long-standing member of our HHA, using my BAEC account and my/our avios. A very decent saving to be had on the silly prices to NYC in August. To be clear, I am not travelling on the booking, or at all, and I do not even intend to take her to the airport so I can be no assistance with check-in. Is this OK?
Yes, you can simply do it on her behalf without flying yourself: on section 4 / Passengers just say no to this question: "Is the payment card holder travelling on this booking?"

If you are the one earning all the Avios in your household then it may be best not to have an HHA at all, you can book for anyone then. If you both earn a lot of Avios then it's also not worth being in an HHA. It's the cases in between where it can be helpful.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, you can simply do it on her behalf without flying yourself: on section 4 / Passengers just say no to this question: "Is the payment card holder travelling on this booking?"

If you are the one earning all the Avios in your household then it may be best not to have an HHA at all, you can book for anyone then. If you both earn a lot of Avios then it's also not worth being in an HHA. It's the cases in between where it can be helpful.
Thanks c-w-s, especially for what to do during the booking. As for the HHA, I estimate that I earn around 85% of all the Avios in it, but I am also planning to spend most of them too! With three kids, and at least one LH family trip per year, the family will have contributed 110k avios in 2014-2015, so, to steal a phrase, it's good to have them on board!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.