Search

How to survive long-haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
How to survive long-haul flights?

Hi guys,

I always fly J/F but that's not the issue. I have flown LHR-ALK before and I get so bored! It's unreal!

Does anyone have any tips for long haul flights to make them more enjoyable. I usually watch movies on my iPad that I have selected but time always goes by so slowly.

Is this only me? Or is every traveller the same...

-Oui

Last edited by OuiFrere; Jul 25, 2012 at 11:42 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
I love LH flying as have 2 young children so time on a plane is usually peaceful!

I also work with a lot of different people and quite intensely so time on my own is extremely rare.

Have a few drinks, read a book, watch a film and get some sleep are some of my most favourite things to do while flying solo. The main thing is switching off from my normal hectic world and enjoying the ride.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
I read a lot and listen to music. Basically just shut my self off... Quite enjoyable!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I generally sleep to pass the time. I think parents of small children generally have no problems when they are flying alone, that's probably the differentiator.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I do a fair bit of longhaul flights, and I've come to learn that the best thing to do is to use your time wisely and well on the things you really enjoy doing but for whatever reason get squeezed out of your life.

If you only occasionally watch movies anyway, and don't get much of a buzz out of it, then I can see time will pass really slowly.

In my case I love music, and I arrange my life so that Spotify is loaded up with a big haul of indie and happening tunes. I then get the time to listen and delete stuff I don't like.

Kindles: great for newspapers, magazines as well as books, and the typefont standardisation works really well on flights.

BBC Iplayer - do you actually enjoy Nordic detective series more than movies?

So focus on what you truly enjoy, work out a way to do it in the air.

And when I am in the USA and able to use in-air wifi, I do what I am doing right now: enjoying Flyertalk 38,234 feet above New Orleans, heading for LAX, waiting for my butterscotch ice cream to be delivered. Already the flight does not seem long enough.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Watch movies and drink wine. Keeps me amused!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by OuiFrere
Hi guys,

I always fly J/F but that's not the issue. I have flown LHR-AUK before and I get so bored! It's unreal!

Does anyone have any tips for long haul flights to make them more enjoyable. I usually watch movies on my iPad that I have selected but time always goes by so slowly.

Is this only me? Or is every traveller the same...

-Oui

I usually get less sleep the night before departure, so I tend to doze off inflight.

When not sleeping though, I enjoy the IFE. I rarely find myself bored on LH flights, it's funny how time flies by so much quicker when in J/F.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jul 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Long day flights I can handle.....long overnight flights are pure hell for me.

I just want the flight to end after the meal service.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am not good at sleeping in flights; And as most of my flights end up being long haul, I have tried to come up with ways to keep myself occupied in those 9+ hours of flight time. I usually end up writing or getting some work done or catch up on all the "longread" articles that usually pile up for a few months(all of which involve a computer.). If I don't want my computer in front of me, I take couple of books that are in my "To Read" list.

Long haul flights seem to be the place where I catch up with my life.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Watch movies and drink wine. Keeps me amused!
FYI. OP posted that he/she is 16 in another thread (in J/F) so wine may not be an option.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love L/H flights in J/F (preferably F) - the longer the better!

Eat, sleep, drink, watch movies, read, repeat.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I always have my iPad loaded with a few episodes of television shows and movies I want to watch, as well as a few books I want to read. These serve me well in-flight as well as during airport delays, and in hotels.

During nighttime LH flights, I tend to eat dinner, wash up, moisturize, change into pj (if in F) or a Hanro shirt and yoga pants (in J), put the seat in sleep mode, and watch some IFE, something on my iPad, or read while sipping some herbal tea. I am usually knocked out within less than an hour.

During daytime flights, I count on the IFE and my iPad to keep me entertained. I do love to read, and the opportunity to finish a nice biography is enough to make me look forward to a long flight, though.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:36 pm

The bulk of my long haul currently is HKG-LHR and back, which is usually on the new 777-300ER. I can quite happily pass the 12-13 hour flight playing the golf game on the Thales IFE
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I find L/H flights fly by so quickly I almost don't get everything I wanted to do done. If it's a night flight I always go to sleep immediately (no dinner or drinks except water) and I sleep through the flight (if shorter than 8 hours). On day flights I'll watch a movie, a couple of TV shows and get some reading done, sometimes a bit of sleep. If I have work to catch up on I will and a few times I have spent a straight 12 hours working on a flight but I try to avoid too much work unless it's urgent and consider the flight as downtime away from the kids and work.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by economyman
I find L/H flights fly by so quickly I almost don't get everything I wanted to do done. If it's a night flight I always go to sleep immediately (no dinner or drinks except water) and I sleep through the flight (if shorter than 8 hours). On day flights I'll watch a movie, a couple of TV shows and get some reading done, sometimes a bit of sleep. If I have work to catch up on I will and a few times I have spent a straight 12 hours working on a flight but I try to avoid too much work unless it's urgent and consider the flight as downtime away from the kids and work.
Sounds good to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.