Wiki Posts
Search

MRU Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
MRU Advice

Hi all, am looking to redeem my Amex 2-4-1 voucher next year and considering MRU as the destination for a CW return for two.

As I've gathered on this forum, the fact there is no longer a F cabin on this route and the popularity of MRU as a holiday/honeymoon destination (and therefore lots of people willing to pay for revenue seats) means that finding a decent CW return for two is extremely challenging. Indeed I can only find two or three potential outbound/inbound combinations at the moment for May/June of next year and only on the least popular Monday and Tuesday flights!

To avoid the brain-ache of trying to find an outbound CW segment (already challenging) and an inbound CW segment for 2 people that doesn't need you to take half the next week off....is it possible to use the 2-4-1 and book a journey with both passengers travelling CW on the outbound and WT on the inbound (which has a lot more availability) i.e for 90k avios plus taxes for 2 instead of 120k avios plus taxes for 2? Realise redeeming on Y longhaul is not efficient but perhaps mitigated to an extent with the 2-4-1?

I can't seem to find any way of doing this on the reward flights
function which is patchy enough as it is when trying to do a vanilla reward redemption...

Second question - assuming I can do the above, would I be able to change the WT inbound segment to CW or PE if availability in these cabins comes along later?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
I'm unsure on the answer to question one, but I have a feeling this would not be possible under the terms and conditions of the voucher. Worth calling BAEC to ask that though.

I think the answer to the second part would be no. Because it is already a reward booking its very unlikely you'd be allowed to change/upgrade. Possible option is paid upgrade at LGW.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have flown mixed classes (and open jaw) on 2-4-1 before so it should be no problem but you will have to phone up. I have also "upgraded" a return sector when availability came up later successfully too.

Apparently if you booked mixed classes you won't get charged a telephone booking fee as the system doesn't generate one.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: IC RA
Yes, you can do mixed class, but you will need to phone the Exec Club service centre to book.

You should have no problem upgrading if CW availability opens up: again, this would need to be actioned via the Exec Club.

It's definitely the best way to do it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Thanks for the advice, it looks like a call to EC is needed to organise this one. I guess even if I end up being stuck with Y on the return then it won't be the end of the world but I am keen to maximise the use of the voucher on one leg at least!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.