Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best route to Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Don't think you get miles or tier points for EY metal even with a AB flight number
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BERbound
Don't think you get miles or tier points for EY metal even with a AB flight number
Correct.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looks like MAS joining oneworld is delayed until early next year.
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...0-million-0725

"The carrier expects to conclude all work and officially join the alliance in the first quarter of next year, Germal said."

As my flight is at the end of September it looks like BKK is the winner even with MAS A380 on LHR-KUL.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I think TG is probably the best if alliance miles are important, if not MH non-stop on the 380. There are one or two SQ flights, but most are now operated by Silkair on Airbus 320s, which don't give star benefits. Although less of a problem in J, but you may have to suffer the inferior SATS lounge at T2.

RJ typically requires a rough connection in AMM on the way over and even worse one on the way back. And its only three times per week, not great if plans change.

Of the low costs, Tiger and Firefly, use the separate budget terminal at SIN, until late September. So a pain if using these to connect at SIN.

Originally Posted by dunk
Personally I'd take the jungle train (again)
The jungle line is the east-coast line from Gemas to Kota Bharu. It won't take you to KL from SIN.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: A3 Gold. BA Silver. Hilton Gold. IC Ambassador.
Originally Posted by ANAmateur
Looks like MAS joining oneworld is delayed until early next year.
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...0-million-0725

"The carrier expects to conclude all work and officially join the alliance in the first quarter of next year, Germal said."

As my flight is at the end of September it looks like BKK is the winner even with MAS A380 on LHR-KUL.
Very disappointing. What's the betting the official join date will shift further once we hit Q1 2013?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Fly to Singapore and take the train from there.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by PICA
Good idea if stopping over in Singapore.

But if in transit who honestly wants to tackle a long train ride after a 12 hr flight, especially as the historical downtown train station closed last year meaning rail passengere must trek out to the Causeway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...at-age-79.html
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I should add that I like flying Firefly from SIN-KUL as they fly into Subang - a nicer journey into KL. Although you have to go from Changi Budget Terminal (which is a doddle).

Done SQ on a nice new A330 - they managed to pour two sips of coffee for me before having to take the cup back to prepare for landing.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PriorityClub Gold, Flying Blue Ivory
I do this fairly regularly via SIN and then onto Singapore Airlines for the hop to KL. My luggage always gets checked through no problem and the SIN-KUL leg is so short that I don't feel I am missing out on anything as it is not OW. In fact the Singapore Airlines experience is usually very pleasant...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: QF, SQ
Interesting discussion as i fly this route every few weeks...
Personally...

1. MH nonstop is easiest clearly, although a begrudging choice at the moment until MH join Oneworld. Joining dates for any Oneworld airline is usually only 2 months in advance for those waiting for this. I presume MHs idiosyncratic reservations system is a large factor here.

2. Ba.com does occasionally list flights LHR-sin-kul using BA metal and SQ/MH shuttle. Bags one of these tickets and bags are also through-checked.

3. Have been using BA/CX via HKG more recently but tome only viable cos i visit friends and family enroute and have a nice meal in HK which breaks the journey nicely.

4. Would avoid BKK due to bad experiences with immigration/baggage issues and frequent delays although am aware likely just my bad luck.

5. My other fave is travelling KLM using Amsterdam which is a breeze. I also used to fly LGW-AMS on BA and connected with MH at AMS.

6. I would avoid the cowshed LCCT as the ground transfer to KL is awful. At least from the main terminal, the city is only 28 mins by train. It is not possible to do this if you arrive by AirAsia or Tiger.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:58 am
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by BERbound
Are you sure about this? I'm not certain it's black and white because if you look at AUH-BKK on the BA tier point calculator it shows the normal 140 in business class - whereas AUH-MEL, for example shows zero Avios and TP. As far as I know both are only ever flown by AB as codeshares on EY metal. I wonder if this is an error or different treatments on some routes.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by PICA

Changing to Woodlands Station is not easy for the one of 3 daily services followed by a 6+ hours journey on "not very nice" rolling stock for what is less than 200 miles and 30 minutes flight.....
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PZE
Are you sure about this? I'm not certain it's black and white because if you look at AUH-BKK on the BA tier point calculator it shows the normal 140 in business class - whereas AUH-MEL, for example shows zero Avios and TP. As far as I know both are only ever flown by AB as codeshares on EY metal. I wonder if this is an error or different treatments on some routes.
Ignore the TP calculator as it is often misleading. Best to do your research here and on ba.com though the partner earning tables. Then you'll really understand.

But, to confirm above any Air Berlin flight number on non-oneworld metal will earn no TP's or miles. See the link below for an exhaustive discussion of the minutae.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...odeshares.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.