Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

By mistake, I'm in London with a Madrid passenger's luggage; BA won't help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum

We checked five bags BA Club from Venice to LHR. Mistakenly picked up an identical bag instead of one of our own. Discovered this upon arrival in our city center hotel room in London. Mistaken bag had Madrid tag on it. Called BA "You First", as travel was part of international first class ticket. YF rep said my bag at airport, but BA refuses to bring my bag to me and refuses to pick up Madrid customer's bag. BA rep says BA will not give me my bag back unless I bring Madrid bag to airport and exchange for my bag. I said I'm not in a position to this today, and BA rep says to do it at soonest convenience. I said this could be at end of week at time of next flight. BA rep said that's okay.
Can BA really be so unconcerned about the Madrid passenger?
Is this standard BA policy in such cases? Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:46 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ohmark
We checked five bags BA Club from Venice to LHR. Mistakenly picked up an identical bag instead of one of our own. Discovered this upon arrival in our city center hotel room in London. Mistaken bag had Madrid tag on it. Called BA "You First", as travel was part of international first class ticket. YF rep said my bag at airport, but BA refuses to bring my bag to me and refuses to pick up Madrid customer's bag. BA rep says BA will not give me my bag back unless I bring Madrid bag to airport and exchange for my bag. I said I'm not in a position to this today, and BA rep says to do it at soonest convenience. I said this could be at end of week at time of next flight. BA rep said that's okay.
Is this standard BA policy in such cases? Thanks.
Do you not feel any responsibility to get the bag back, rather than blaming BA?

You seriously can't afford a couple of hours before the end of the week?

I despair at people's selfishness sometimes.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

I'm afraid I feel the same. If you can't do it yourself talk to the concierge at your hotel. I am sure at a (hefty) price they can arrange something for you. BA has no responsibility here.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:51 pm

It was your mistake so surely the responsibility of fixing it is yours?

If you're too busy/important to do it why not slip some cash to someone from your hotel to swap the bags for you?

There's someone in Madrid waiting for their bag! Hopefully it's an FTer and we'll hear from them soon
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
They might not have responsibility for the OP's bag but they sure as heck have responsibilty for the MAD passenger's bag!

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)

^

Astonishing that OP accuses BA of being unconcerned about the Madrid passenger

To the OP: If you don't have time to take the bag back yourself, courier it, at your own expense.

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
So you picked up someone else's bag and you want BA to play courier for you - exactly what have they done wrong?

I was that Madrid passenger in Seattle once - it was clear when there was only an identical suitcase to mine (less all the stickers, the tags, the luggage label ) left on the luggage reclaim belt that someone else had picked up my case. BA were happy for me to take the other case, and swap it at the city centre hotel virtually before the passenger had realised that they had the wrong case - "they all look the same" apparently

You've made an error, if I were you I'd go to Heathrow - if I was the Madrid passenger I would want to know why you had kept my bag for so long.

A Wikipedia definition for you - Theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it. Maybe the original intent wasn't to deprive the rightful owner of the bag, but it is now.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
+1 Indeed.
Whose fault was it that you picked up the wrong bag?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by HilFly
They might not have responsibility for the OP's bag but they sure as heck have responsibilty for the MAD passenger's bag!
Actually, not if an another pax took it by mistake. It would be really weird if that was the case.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I agree with the other comments. This is your responsibility. You should be returning the bag to LHR today or in the morning at the latest.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Question

Q: just wondering - why would a Madrid bound bag be on the belt at LHR?

Or does OP mean from MAD?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1 Indeed.
Whose fault was it that you picked up the wrong bag?
If BA (and other airlines) matched luggage to luggage receipts it wouldn't have happened. They choose not to do this.

The OP shouldn't have been able to leave the airport with another passenger's bag. BA should be moving mountains to get the MAD passenger reunited with his luggage. If that means picking it up from a hotel, so be it.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Mistakenly picked up an identical bag instead of one of our own.
Did you really just say that BA is acting in an unconcerned way?

Unreal.

If you time the HEX right you can probably get to Paddington to LHR and back in maybe a bit over an hour. You might be able to do it in even less time. Surely you can spare an hour or two, right?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:58 pm

Please don't wait until the end of the week. Think about how you would feel if you were the MAD passenger, and get the bag to Heathrow as soon as possible. I'm sure it was an honest if inattentive mistake, but it was yours and not BA's.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I agree with the other comments. This is your responsibility. You should be returning the bag to LHR today or in the morning at the latest.
I agree.

I understand the OP was travelling in F, but the passenger is responsible for ensuring they have the correct luggage when they leave the airport. Constant announcements are made in the baggage arrivals area reminding people of this.

Think how you'd feel if you were that Madrid passenger not knowing where their baggage is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.