Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBxAnders

i Preface
Firstly, we'd like to extend a warm welcome to our new members. We've created this short guide with you in mind which we hope covers all the basics you need to know about earning Avios and Tier Points as an Executive Club member. In addition, consider this your crash course tutorial towards attaining status on BA.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents

iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from BahrainLad, britbronco22, corporate-wage-slave, David-A, DWFI, Globaliser, Hannibal Lecter, HELflyer, littlefish, LTN Phobia, orudge, Prospero, Raffles, srbrenna, Stez, Swanhunter, and Tobias-UK
Print Wikipost

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Air Berlin
There is now a new booking class, Z
http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/par...ntType=collect
it is not mentioned on ba.com, is it beause it's new and the site has not
been updated? or because you earn nothing?
I suspect it will earn absolutely nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:32 pm

Sweden Visa: It says the voucher is valid for two years? This is wrong. It is 1 year.@:-)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by David-A
From our guide:

Actually, the 'countdown' when someone is logged into their account says these need to be 25/50 "eligible flights", not BA flights and the term is a clickable link to the same page as the countdown of eligible flights for the 2/4.

i.e.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

So, based upon that I'd say it should be changed to say 'eligible flights'. [And if so, our section 02 could use that term as well rather than qualifying flight.] Especially given the BAEC T&C do say that BA.com defines the workings of the scheme beyond the T&C themselves.

Although, the actual EC T&C are badly written and outdated in this section:

But the whole of 6 is really baddly written (amungst other things, suggesting you will not be promoted until year end). Do you want us to rewrite it BA?
Good points. The section has been updated with more accurate terminology. BA also provides guidance on eligible flights here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
The "Reservation Assurance" bullet is still missing from the Silver list.

You could perhaps also link to BA's "compare the tiers" page at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb?

This could logically sit in post 3, just below the enumeration of the tiers following "There are four primary membership tiers in the BAEC".
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, Cathay Gold, SPG Plat 100, Hilton G, PC Plat,Hertz Pres C, Le club Accor plat
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
The "Reservation Assurance" bullet is still missing from the Silver list.

You could perhaps also link to BA's "compare the tiers" page at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb?

This could logically sit in post 3, just below the enumeration of the tiers following "There are four primary membership tiers in the BAEC".
To get Avios points for purchases made in a partner, Say Apple, do I need to go via the BA website or Can I make a purchase in a shop and then claim Avios?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by stokeCity
To get Avios points for purchases made in a partner, Say Apple, do I need to go via the BA website or Can I make a purchase in a shop and then claim Avios?
You have to go through the eStore.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:52 am

Hi, I was after a bit of advice.

I have emigrated from the UK to Australia and have been an executive club member for some years now. I have gained Silver (one world sapphire) on a couple of occassions but am now down to blue with 50k avios points. Most of my points are gained through travelling to the US, which I usually pay for premium economy and use miles to upgrade to Club (business). I usually gain 13,000 miles and spend 25,000 on my flight and top up my miles inbetween flights with Amex purchases. I have been told by BA that I can use miles on the route from Sydney/west coast (on AA/QF) but only in full payment ie not money plus miles)

My question is with regards to which loyalty club to join and try to gain points through. I had thoughts of joining Qantas or American's loyalty clubs as I am still plaining on visiting the USA, although this will probably be via San Fran/LA. Given how I use my miles I would appreciate any advice (and reasoning behind the advise)

Many thanks

Barry

PS im posting this in BA, AA and QF forums
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If you want to earn/keep your status, bear in mind you need to do 2 or 4 (depending on the tier) BA sectors. If you are not going to fly a BA sector and want to keep/earn status, then you need to be with QF or AA.

Which would suit you better is dependent on how you intend to earn your points/miles and what your flying patterns are.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Thank you for this great thread! ^^

Originally Posted by Grand Union
02 Germany: British Airways Barclaycard (Visa)

• No annual fee
Actually there *is* an annual fee:
89€ for the British Airways Barclaycard Premium

49€ for the British Airways Barclaycard Classic while the first year is free

What I'm missing here is an explanation of member year / card year (Membership ends / Card expiry). I am still a BAEC newbie (coming from BMI DC*G) and I'm still uncertain about that.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:52 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
For the Indian credit cards section, you can also add Citibank PremierMiles Card which earns 10 PremierMiles (Citibank's currency) for every INR 100 on airline spend, and 4 PremierMiles for every INR 100 on other spends. These convert directly into BA Avios at 1:1, so a better proposition than the ICICI card.

Annual fee of INR 3000 with 10000 PMs as joining bonus. The card is a Visa Signature card which gives lounge access to several airports in India and some international airports. Also comes with some vouchers which may or may not have questionable value.

Official page: http://www.online.citibank.co.in/por...miles-card.htm

FlyerTalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...iles-card.html
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver (at last!), Thai Silver
Please feel free to delete this after answering if it is an inappropriate forum.

I have honestly tried to get my head around the tier transition but need a bit of help.
I am a lowly blue that should attain Bronze in mid - October. My year ends on Nov 12th.
I know that I will loose my tier points on the 12th Nov, as a bronze, which will probably be about 200 of them.
To obtain Silver in the year beginning the 12th Nov, Do I have to earn a further 300 tier points and 2 further eligible flights, or do I have to go the whole hog as it were, and achieve 600 points/4 flights in that time??

Many thanks for clearing this up for me.

M
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

From Nov (9th??) you'll begin a new membership year initially at 0 TPs and as a Bronze. During the 12 months that follow you will need to accrue 300 TPs plus 2 eligible flights to retain Bronze or 600 TPs plus 4 eligible flights to attain Silver. When you reach this tier, the Silver card will be valid until 31 December 2014.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver (at last!), Thai Silver
Many thanks for your quick reply... yes I got the date wrong! Thanks again for the help.
M
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:30 am

Well, I advanced to BA's Bronze tier. So I can enjoy some extra benefits for one membership year. That is all - one year! I will earn 25% extra miles (which will give more redeemed flights (with little extra fee paid), I can use business check-in and reserve seats 7 days in advance. For someone who travels short-haul and has no bags to check in, all those benefits seem marginal. And if I want to retain that Bronze level of treatment, I have to not only fly at least twice this membership year (starting today) but actually accrue 300 more tier points, which will take me to Silver level. All of that means MORE SPENDING AND MORE FLYING with BA! On certain routes, I have no option much but fly with BA. Once I reach Silver level, I have to make my money work harder - earn 600 tier points in one calendar year to retain my Silver level, which translates into MORE SPENDING. On the BA route I use, that translates into almost 8 business class flights a year. And that is at the cost of £3880 a year. SPEND SPEND SPEND! Alas, it's not a lifetime recognition by the airline, alas I have to keep spending to be treated nicer. I always compare various airline tickets, sometimes it is cheaper to fly with BA, especially if you take baggage, meal and travel to airport costs. In conclusion, perhaps it is worth achieving that next tier level, if you don't mind keep on spending and want a little a few extra benefits during that tier membership year. But neither BA in-flight meals, nor lounges have been as extra enticing to keep on doing this.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by rolandasmx
Well, I advanced to BA's Bronze tier. So I can enjoy some extra benefits for one membership year. That is all - one year!
So, did you expect your status to last for life? That kind of benefit would have cost you a lot more than what it takes to get to Bronze, which is really easily achieved.

Strictly speaking, you get your status benefits usually for longer than a year: they start the moment you achieve a status level and last the whole of the next membership year, during which you can then collect points to retain that status.

I will earn 25% extra miles (which will give more redeemed flights (with little extra fee paid), I can use business check-in and reserve seats 7 days in advance. For someone who travels short-haul and has no bags to check in, all those benefits seem marginal.
I would have thought that extra avios is good news actually, and to use priority check-in is something that is very valuable at outstations, especially where there are no kiosks. I have on many occasions been grateful to jump those queues. Of course, if you prefer lengthy queuing than by all means don't use the facility.

And if I want to retain that Bronze level of treatment, I have to not only fly at least twice this membership year (starting today) but actually accrue 300 more tier points, which will take me to Silver level.
What are you talking about? First, surely it's perfectly normal that you will have to continue to fly with BA and collect points in order to retain status? As above, you don't expect it to last for life, do you?? It seems to me that 2 eligible flights and 300TPs is actually a very small commitment.

All of that means MORE SPENDING AND MORE FLYING with BA!
Congratulations for figuring out what FF programmes are all about. The airline gets more of your custom in exchange for status benefits.

On certain routes, I have no option much but fly with BA. Once I reach Silver level, I have to make my money work harder - earn 600 tier points in one calendar year to retain my Silver level, which translates into MORE SPENDING.
Well, you are not obliged to achieve status or retain it! If you want the benefits of a status level, you need to achieve the required number of flights and TPs. If you don't, you don't get the status. Seems both simple and logical to me.

In any event, I don't even know what you're bothered - you say above that you're not interested in the benefits anyway.

On the BA route I use, that translates into almost 8 business class flights a year. And that is at the cost of £3880 a year. SPEND SPEND SPEND! Alas, it's not a lifetime recognition by the airline, alas I have to keep spending to be treated nicer. I always compare various airline tickets, sometimes it is cheaper to fly with BA, especially if you take baggage, meal and travel to airport costs. In conclusion, perhaps it is worth achieving that next tier level, if you don't mind keep on spending and want a little a few extra benefits during that tier membership year. But neither BA in-flight meals, nor lounges have been as extra enticing to keep on doing this.
The cost of bronze can be a lot lower than that, but that is neither here nor there. FF programmes and status benefits do what it says on the tin: the airline get more of your custom, you get the status related benefits. To retain them, you continue to fly with them. The idea that just because in one year you have given a modest amount of spent to the airline the benefits become lifelong is, frankly, laughable.If you don't like the BAEC benefits, then don't bother with status. Easy, no??

There is no pleasing some people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.