FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The end of Highland Spring and BA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1362103-end-highland-spring-ba.html)

Stewie Mac Jul 1, 2012 11:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would argue that there's more difference in taste between Highland Spring and Speyside Glenlivet than there is between Grolsch and Heineken, and BA consider those last two to be a 'choice' of beer....

catandmouse Jul 2, 2012 12:56 am

I'm sure I've seen reports that bottled water is, hygienically speaking, significantly inferior to tap water, as the latter has to meet much stricter directives.
Obviously only applies to the First World, but even when I'm travelling I will try and drink local bottled water and not water that has been shipped half-way round the world.

jasec Jul 2, 2012 1:37 am

Originally Posted by J-Class (Post 18852813)
an interesting slightly peaty flavour and tastes (as the branding suggests) that it has some connection to Whisky. Highland Spring is a dull water indeed and barely preferable to tap.

Hmmph... Tullibardine whisky is made from the same source as Highland Spring - and at least according to Jim Murray's 'Whisky Bible' is as good or better than Glenlivet which presumably is connected to the water in some way.

I doubt really that the water is in any sense 'peaty' - it sells itself on the fact that it has 'exceptionally low mineral content' - water that contains any detectable amount of peat (soil in other words) is brown which tends not to be desirable in bottled water. Whisky gets its peatiness from the peat smoke used to dry out the malt - not in any meaningful amount from the water.

pazza2000 Jul 2, 2012 1:47 am

I confess to being a big Scottish Sparkiling water fiend and prefer the Speyside to Highland Spring (although Strathmore is my favourite).

747_not_777 Jul 2, 2012 1:53 am

How do people feel about Fiji Water, often found in hotel rooms for ridiculous prices... I nearly drank it in the Shangri La in Sydney before realising I would need to remortgage my house to pay for it!

Jenbel Jul 2, 2012 2:39 am

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 18855502)
How do people feel about Fiji Water, often found in hotel rooms for ridiculous prices... I nearly drank it in the Shangri La in Sydney before realising I would need to remortgage my house to pay for it!

Hate it - went to Nobu and it's all they'd serve us. That is a stupid waste of resources.

I love the fact that in Edinburgh, we've trained the restaurants to expect to serve us tap water. For those that want bottled, they have it, but the vast majority of us do drink tap water.

Originally Posted by EuroHannibal
I never knew this parallel universe existed. Can there really be any more a base, homogenous product that the marketeers can slap a fancy name on and create a profit from nothing? This thread is like the H20 equivalent of arguing the relative merits of the Celebrity Big Brother contestants.

But even tap water tastes different from place to place - and even within places. Water in central Edinburgh can taste pretty nasty - chemically and medicine like, but water down in Leith thankfully tastes an awful lot better.

I grew up pretty much drinking Highland Spring out of a tap, and love it. The 12 years I spent in Yorkshire were a trial because the water was limey and blah and very often came out the tap not that cold. I used a Britta filter to improve it.

But it's subtle - you've got to be paying attention when you drink it, drink it often and I would imagine if you are a smoker, or your palate is not that great, you might struggle to pick up the differences.

My bottle of choice seems to be Volvic. Not a fan of most of the English waters, although I'll drink them when necessary, I think they are too hard.

I suspect water is a personal choice, driven by what you drank growing up. I am amused though by someone who detects peat in bottled water - the power of suggestion is great. As someone who has drunk very soft, brown highland water, there's not even a hint of peat in that. Probably because the colour comes from the leaching of minerals from the soil, not actually peat.

ClubClassCowboy Jul 2, 2012 2:44 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 18853474)
Sorry, but I will go out of my way to avoid drinking tap water. Irrespective of which country I am in

Is there a particular reason for that?

ClubClassCowboy Jul 2, 2012 2:45 am

http://wweverywhere.com/

flyer16 Jul 2, 2012 4:08 am

I'm not picky with mineral waters however two I particularly don't like are the Evian and Vital brands.

JMurray Jul 2, 2012 4:49 am

I was never that keen on the Highland Spring products. I'm more of a San Pellegrino man myself, but I do understand that it's not particular British.

Nyghtwing Jan 4, 2013 8:14 pm

[B]... Speaking of bottled water (longhaul)[/B]

As far as longhaul is concerned, lately, I've noticed 500ml bottles of Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring(US) water being passed around the premium cabins. Maybe I am unaccustomed to the taste, but I didn't fancy it at all. Is there an ongoing supply issue with the Highland Spring/Speyside Glenlivet brand, or has BA contracted a new water supplier?

Bring back our British water please, BA. Cheers!

Poxball Jan 4, 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nyghtwing (Post 19978408)
As far as longhaul is concerned, lately, I've noticed 500ml bottles of Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring(US) water being passed around the premium cabins. Maybe I am unaccustomed to the taste, but I didn't fancy it at all. Is there an ongoing supply issue with the Highland Spring/Speyside Glenlivet brand, or has BA contracted a new water supplier?

Indeed this week first bottle was Highland Spring, bottles 2-6 were the Crystal Geyser brand.

Dan72 Jan 4, 2013 9:30 pm

I have seen different water from outstations. Was this on a flight from the US?

LTN Phobia Jan 4, 2013 10:37 pm

The last data-point I have is from 31 December 2012, where Highland Spring water was in abundance in F, both small bottles given to passengers and if I remember correctly, the large bottles from which they pour the water into your glass.

Nyghtwing Jan 4, 2013 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 19978707)
I have seen different water from outstations. Was this on a flight from the US?

This has occurred on several flights out of LHR, and again on the return. It's been in both First and CW cabins that I've witnessed it, albeit, the Highland Spring is more prevalent in F.

Also, it was always my understanding that water and many other catering items are supplied by BA to the outstations for a return catering standard. Food for starters and mains are sourced locally (with some exceptions for certain outstations), but dictated by BA.