The end of Highland Spring and BA?

Old Jul 1, 12, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
H2O preferably without undesirable stuff like dirt and germs.

No doubt the cognoscenti will decide that 'This month everyone is drinking Eau de Nile". But it's still H2O, innit?
Old Jul 1, 12, 11:33 am

Programs: BA-Gold, Marriott-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Kudos to BA for providing nice water.
Business travellers and the middle class seem to have developed a water fetish and all water is now not equal as in the past.
I have nothing against Buxton Water or Desani, but Scottish rain does taste the best to me.
I normally drink Fiji, Perrier, Acqua Panna, or San Pellegrino.
I never drink any tap water in any country, or even risk brushing my teeth with it.
I do not take ice in my drinks avoid a dose of local tap water that can upset my stomach.
Old Jul 1, 12, 11:48 am

Well said.

Can't believe people who says all water tastes the same.

Will drink tap water at home but not at work.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And for that matter, all whisky should be replaced with Teachers Blend. All these distilleries scattered over Scotland, wasting resources like that.

I'm both teetotal and my home water supply comes from a spring and is thus not chlorinated. I really do struggle to drink tap water, the taste is horrific to my tongue. It even goes to the extent that I struggle with tea made from tap water, despite being boiled. Less so with coffee. I can easily tell Evian from Highland Spring from Badoit from Malvern, sometimes by smell alone. So recognising that this is something of a luxury when many people in this world have poor access to water, I am nevertheless grateful to have something to drink.
Old Jul 1, 12, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
Highland Spring is such a dull water. Anything else would be preferable.
My fav still water as it just tastes so clear
Old Jul 1, 12, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
I love it US diners / restaurants that you immediately get a big glass of iced water as you sit down (or in fancier places the question "is tap water OK?")

It wasn't until I was in Tucson AZ where no water was offered, and it was pointed out to me that most people don't drink it, and as we were in a desert you only got water if you asked for it. Waste waste everywhere...

...as it just tastes so clear
I'm really not having a go at the OP but really?

Most people's palette is sensitive enough to taste the difference between London tap and Blenheim Spring (well done Marlborough family - ker-ching) - but really neither is going to poison you.

Maybe the lounges could have a nice jug of tap water, and a few bottles of precious premiumised bottles?
Old Jul 1, 12, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
When I was burning Flying Blue miles I got to use the AF F lounge on my one and only F redemption (status doesn't get you into their F lounge). They had a menu of waters possibly more extensive than a wine list in some restaurants. Before that I never thought people cared enough to choose a particular water - it's always been just still or sparkling to me.

I did think Voss was the nicest I tried there, but whether it really was better or the packaging had convinced me (comes in a nice bottle) is another matter.

Couldn't see any British waters when I used that lounge perhaps they consider British waters not premium enough.
Old Jul 1, 12, 1:55 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
I greatly prefer Speyside Glenlivet to Highland Spring - the former has an interesting slightly peaty flavour and tastes (as the branding suggests) that it has some connection to Whisky. Highland Spring is a dull water indeed and barely preferable to tap.

I like the milkiness of Evian for a neutral drink, but with a little more bite Aqua Panna is probably my favourite still water. Pellegrino and Badoit for sparkling.

Some tap waters can be very palatable - but London tap isn't in this category, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 1, 12, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy View Post
What a total waste of energy and resources - there's a perfectly good tap within reach of everyone in the first world.
Arsenic.
Old Jul 1, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Arsenic.
Old lace?
Old Jul 1, 12, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy View Post
Old lace?

We have a high arsenic level in our water and after seeing the way they test it one has to err on the side of caution.
I think it's nice to see BA change the brand now and again....at least it's still British. I hope they recycle the glass bottles.
Old Jul 1, 12, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

....at least it's still British.
For now.
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Sorry, but I will go out of my way to avoid drinking tap water. Irrespective of which country I am in, whether first world or third world. And yes, I will say it. I do pay for Evian or Voss in the US and in Asia.

The one bottled water that really bleh'ed me out in North America is that Dasani stuff. Eugh.
Old Jul 1, 12, 4:32 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
The one bottled water that really bleh'ed me out in North America is that Dasani stuff. Eugh.
Because it comes from a tap at the bottling plant, is run through a little filter and is placed in a plastic bottle!

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

Same with Aquafina.

AWFUL corporate crap!!
Old Jul 1, 12, 8:44 pm

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
I never knew this parallel universe existed. Can there really be any more a base, homogenous product that the marketeers can slap a fancy name on and create a profit from nothing? This thread is like the H20 equivalent of arguing the relative merits of the Celebrity Big Brother contestants.

Chateauneuf Du Tap for me.
Old Jul 1, 12, 9:06 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by EuroHannibal View Post
I never knew this parallel universe existed. Can there really be any more a base, homogenous product that the marketeers can slap a fancy name on and create a profit from nothing? This thread is like the H20 equivalent of arguing the relative merits of the Celebrity Big Brother contestants.

Chateauneuf Du Tap for me.
But water is most definitely not homogeneous.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: