Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Highland Spring and BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by House
It's certainly a lot easier to get tap water these days in London restaurants for example ...
Yes, but have you tasted it?

I drink a lot of fizzy water because I like it and will happily drink a lot of it. It's better for me than soft drinks. But I have a problem with flat water (bottled or tap) - I can look at jugs and bottles of the stuff for so long that I get sick from dehydration without it ever occurring to me that I should drink it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy
Bottled water, and especially bottled uncarbonated water, should be universally banned.

What a total waste of energy and resources - there's a perfectly good tap within reach of everyone in the first world.
So you'd have drank this then??

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/vi...afe?mode=print

Granted, it isn't as dirty as this now but there's still bits of grit in it etc.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I wouldn't drink the tap water in any of my home areas.

Area one, just looking at the residues that water leaves is horrible - limescale special! Maybe it's not harmful, but it's not nice.

Area two, full of whatever residues - no idea what, but it's often yellow in colour. Very off-putting. Again, maybe it's not harmful, but it's not nice.

Area three, full of chlorine. The smell is overpowering when having a shower. I cannot bring myself to drinking chlorine-smelling water.

All in the first world countries.

However, I would happily drink the tap water in some other areas. It all depends on where I am.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I am too lazy to filter my own water.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Bottled water, and especially bottled uncarbonated water, should be universally banned.

What a total waste of energy and resources - there's a perfectly good tap within reach of everyone in the first world.
And for that matter, all whisky should be replaced with Teachers Blend. All these distilleries scattered over Scotland, wasting resources like that.

I'm both teetotal and my home water supply comes from a spring and is thus not chlorinated. I really do struggle to drink tap water, the taste is horrific to my tongue. It even goes to the extent that I struggle with tea made from tap water, despite being boiled. Less so with coffee. I can easily tell Evian from Highland Spring from Badoit from Malvern, sometimes by smell alone. So recognising that this is something of a luxury when many people in this world have poor access to water, I am nevertheless grateful to have something to drink.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
there's a perfectly good tap within reach of everyone in the first world.
Sorry, but London tap water makes me gag. It's almost as if I have to chew it.

I guess I'm lucky that the tap water I have at home is almost as good as bottled water.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by travelfan199
It's a good brand- I like it. I always thought Highland Spring was a bit down market.

Hildon or Harrogate Spa are my favourites, though.
Somewhere, a marketer dies happy

(there really isn't such a thing as 'premium water' in the UK - it all comes out the ground. The 'premium' comes from how much they spend tarting up the bottles and on the advertising to justify the higher prices)
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I definitely wouldn't normally choose to drink London tap water either. I find there is a considerable difference between the different brands of mineral waters. I prefer gently sparking waters like Badoit or San Pellegrino rather than heavily carbonated mineral water. I hate Hildon with a passion and would rather drink tap water in preference. Of the still waters my preference is Voss but only if available in glass bottles. I really dislike mineral water from plastic bottles as the plastic seems to impact the taste somehow.

A little OT but it always amazes me how many high end restaurants do not know what type of water they serve. I typically ask what the water is before ordering because if they have Badoit or Pellegrino I will typically order sparking, if not then I want to check it isn't Hildon before I order. I would estimate that at least 80% of the time I ask my waiter/ess what type of water they have (where it isn't clear in the menu) they do not have a clue.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I really dislike mineral water from plastic bottles as the plastic seems to impact the taste somehow.
I agree, especially if the plastic bottled water has been allowed near to sunlight or kept too warm, or was bottled a long time back.

To get back on topic, Speyside is a slightly more flinty flavour than HS, and the sparkling version has a more sharp, pinpoint texture to it than HS, so a very good replacement from my point of view.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:44 am
Ambassador

Highland Spring is such a dull water. Anything else would be preferable.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And for that matter, all whisky should be replaced with Teachers Blend. All these distilleries scattered over Scotland, wasting resources like that.
Let's not get ridiculous
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I wouldn't drink the tap water in any of my home areas.

Area three, full of chlorine. The smell is overpowering when having a shower. I cannot bring myself to drinking chlorine-smelling water.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I am too lazy to filter my own water.
Area 3 sounds like somewhere in the USA … yukky smell.

Filtered water … we have 2 jugs in the fridge, even though our local water is actually really rather nice. "St Helier Spring", anyone?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Filtered water … we have 2 jugs in the fridge, even though our local water is actually really rather nice. "St Helier Spring", anyone?
Always Peckham Spring for me.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Always Peckham Spring for me.
Ahhh, there you go, London-centric.

Now HilFly will need an explanation of that one
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Ahhh, there you go, London-centric.

Now HilFly will need an explanation of that one
Thanks for providing. There will be those on here who don't remember it - 20 years ago now!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:03 am

^

There has to be something wrong when something as simple as water costs more than a highly processed/transported and taxed product like petrol! And seeing evian in hotel rooms in Asia beggars belief; the thought that is has been transported halfway round the world to a country with perfectly good local water is pure madness. I can see the arguement for having to buy bottled water when you are out and about, but the majority of the time a tap is accessible. There should be no reason for bottle water in the home/office/airport lounge/hotel in a developed country. We would be better off making our public supply more palatable.

As for the concept of premium and super-premium waters, piffle and tosh. Wholly marketing rubbish. I would challenge anyone to consistently identify super-premium water in a blind taste test, and put good money on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.