Wiki Posts
Search

LHR, overpriced and underwhelming...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dddc
Bit lost, but where does it say there is a £13 M-F minimum?
Here

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/ti...#Minimum_Fares

And it says here (what discounts do I get)

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network

that it is NOT available for Oyster PAGO fares (it is available on travel cards - I sometimes buy a travel card using my network card because at a weekend it is cheaper than the Oyster PAGO price cap)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Here

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/ti...#Minimum_Fares

And it says here (what discounts do I get)

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network

that it is NOT available for Oyster PAGO fares (it is available on travel cards - I sometimes buy a travel card using my network card because at a weekend it is cheaper than the Oyster PAGO price cap)
We're talking about two different cards here: the Network Card and the Annual Gold Card, which you get when you buy an annual season ticket. The latter does not have a minimum fare and can be "put on" to a PAYG Oyster to give a third off, off peak.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:07 am

Network cards and Oyster PAYG explained in more detail here:

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/railcard-discounts/
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by lukew
We're talking about two different cards here: the Network Card and the Annual Gold Card, which you get when you buy an annual season ticket. The latter does not have a minimum fare and can be "put on" to a PAYG Oyster to give a third off, off peak.
That make a bit more sense as I've bought 1/3 off rail fares (including Heathrow Connect) with my Tube Gold Card mid week.

Wish I'd known about this sooner! They'll probably withdraw it now that it's out on Flyertalk!!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
I dont mind the shops as I can ignore them.

I DO mind having to fork out £25 to get by bus from LHR to LGW.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Ah, the voice of reason! I agree, sometimes I do wonder why certain people bother travelling at all. Moan, moan, moan ....

It's just a bloody airport, get used to it!
I agree and T5 is considerably nicer than a good number of airports I've been to around the world.

As for the shops, well for a lot of people shopping in duty free is a big part of their holiday experience. And even for myself, although I can't afford much I certainly enjoy browsing. So far, very far, from everyone hates passing the shops.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think you mean annoying some of your customers !

There are lots of people (yes and regular and not just holiday fliers) who enjoy shopping at airports and it's not like anyone is forced to buy anything.

Personally I am happy for the shoppers to subsidise the landing charges for me.
Precisely.
As I've said above, for most people they want duty free shopping. From what we see at the gates, it's a minority who DON'T buy anything.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
As I've said above, for most people they want duty free shopping. From what we see at the gates, it's a minority who DON'T buy anything.
This doesn't compute. What does it matter how many people want to buy something? The option should exist for both - people who want to buy duty free, can see the shops and can shop at them. People who want to escape to the lounge should have that option as well.

What people dislike (myself included) is being forced to go down and up and all around to get where we want. Isn't there enough consumerism in this world without shoving it down people's throats?

T5 should let people make up their own minds without making their minds up for them. They obviously realize this is the preference, or the secret door wouldn't exist. They realize that F pax won't put up with this nonsense.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Sadly some will always disagree no matter what I say.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jun 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
At T5 you can always use your own mind and just totally ignore the shops on the lower level when heading to galleries south.

BAA may force you to go the long way round, nobody forces you to spend spend spend in any of the T5 shops.

Not once have i been remotely tempted to buy the girlfriend a mulberry handbag or something shiny from tiffanys on the way to galleries south, much to her disapointment

Last edited by lancefan; Jun 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
This doesn't compute. What does it matter how many people want to buy something? The option should exist for both - people who want to buy duty free, can see the shops and can shop at them. People who want to escape to the lounge should have that option as well.
You're obviously not from a business background.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lancefan
At T5 you can always use your own mind and just totally ignore the shops on the lower level when heading to galleries south...
Which is exactly what I manage to do when arriving on a domestic connection. It really is very easy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I accept that many people regard a shopping experience as part of the travel experience. I do not. It does irritate me that I have to make the down and up schlep from north security to the flounge. I pay BAA back for causing this irritation by buying as little as possible in their shopping mall. I assume that BAA have done their analysis and decided that annoying me and my ilk is less important than the revenue they can make by making people pass all their shops on the way to the lounges. That of course is their decision to make.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by happyintheair
Last time I used my Network card to buy a HEX ticket, I asked the ticket guy why one has to use the ticket offices to get the discount.

He claimed that if they offered the discount at the machine, everyone would automatically select it whether they had a card or not.

I said but isn't that what the on-train inspections would catch?

He seemed to think that lots of tickets would slip through despite that.

I agree that it feels like an attempt to offer discounts (which I believe they *have* to do) whilst making them harder to buy .
At Paddington you can use the First Great Western ticket machines to get a HEX ticket with whatever railcard discount. Put in the destination as Heathrow Rail and choose Any Permitted. (And they give the full discount on Network Gold Cards, unlike the HEX windows.)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:47 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Do you count WH Smith/Boots as duty free?

I'm not sure I would say that most people buy something from the clothing/perfume/jewellery/electricals stores although admittedly I don't pay much attention.

Perhaps the LGW sample of passengers has a higher proportion of less frequent travellers for whom duty free is an amenity to be taken advantage of once or twice per year?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by stifle
At Paddington you can use the First Great Western ticket machines to get a HEX ticket with whatever railcard discount. Put in the destination as Heathrow Rail and choose Any Permitted. (And they give the full discount on Network Gold Cards, unlike the HEX windows.)
Thanks for this. May I ask how the discounts differ? The only data point I have to hand is a return with GC discount bought at a HEX ticket office for £22.40, which is slightly more than a third off the published return fare of £34.00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.