No Priority Boarding for Silvers

Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I travel EDI-LCY-EDI most weeks and have done for donkey's years and have never once had priority boarding at LCY........
Gate 6 (or was it 8?) had it this morning. Also seen it at gate 2 a few weeks back. It is not at all of the gates though.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The gate lounge arrangements at LCY seem like they would make it problematic to enforce very well.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Anytime priority boarding is not offered to silvers, you should remind the gate team that this is a silver benefit and ask why they're not offering it.
Exactly my thought. And I carry the little BA document you get with your silver card each year, which clearly states this.

At LCY the situation is somewhat different (but I would still join the priority queue and argue my way on-board - a benefit is a benefit, end of). However at all other airports there should be no reason why it is not being announced for Silvers (and OW equivalents too).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
This was the case but I think they've been pulled up on it now as when I was there a few weeks ago they were again calling golds and silvers.

Nothing has changed, silver are still supposed to get priority boarding along with golds. Bronze do NOT get it though.

Anytime priority boarding is not offered to silvers, you should remind the gate team that this is a silver benefit and ask why they're not offering it.
Last time I was at LGW (Late Jan early Feb for a Long haul) they called called Gold, Silver and Bronze. Was there a trial for a period, or just an error by the member of staff at the time?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vla
Club Europe passengers and gold card holders invited for priority boarding at AMS last night.
That's usual at AMS - it's a prerecorded message. In reality Silvers are allowed to priority board as well and it is very well policed - i.e. non-eligible pax are held back very efficiently.

However as on certain other European Short Haul routes, CE plus Gold plus Silver can amount to a sizeable number of passengers getting priority boarding - but it does keep enough people away to keep some overhead space free before the remaining passengers board.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Nothing has changed, silver are still supposed to get priority boarding along with golds.
Hi,

Mr L1 went up to the gate, and reminded them of this.

They still refused him boarding.

This was at Gate 8, LCY, this morning.

I think the replies on this thread would indicate this particular Silver benefit seems to be offered rather patchily.

Regards,
Karen
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
LCY has a high number of status passengers passing through it, so they only allow CE and Gold priority boarding at the gates where they offer it. They know this is an exception to to the usual policy of premium/Gold/Silver passengers, but it's the only airport where BA do this. According to the gate crew last month when I flew to FAO anyway
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm a regular on this run.

It depends on the gate and on the timing. It's also a bit of a farce given the relatively low number of passengers and the very fast boarding at LCY any way.

The scenarios seem to be:
- No priority boarding at all - probably more than 50% of occasions, less so recently
- Gold only - Edinburgh service
- Gold and CE (where applicable)
- Gold, Silver and CE - only seen that once.

There are vast quantities of Golds and Prems at LCY, and it's pretty pointless in my view - they can constitute over half the passengers. One thing I've seen is that general boarding passengers get penned into the seating area at the back, with Golds (etc) left to stand at the front by the doors on to the apron. Why they don't call the flight and board immediately (so everyone just walks straight on) I shall never know.

LCY is completely different to any other BA airport given the sheer quantity of status passengers. T5 is now excellent at priority boarding, and LGW do a reasonable job.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by lawrenson1
They still refused him boarding.
I hope he will live. Not being priority boarded at LCY is terrible.

I passed through that gate this morning. The priority boarding area is roped off and the sign at the entrance to that section of the gate clearly states CE/Gold/Emerald. No mentioning of Silvers.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If LCY have decided not to priority board Silvers/Sapphire, then they are clearly flouting both the BA and oneworld policies.

I can understand why LCY may not priority board Silvers if there are too many status holders, but the policy needs to be made clear.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Originally Posted by Genius1

I can understand why LCY may not priority board Silvers if there are too many status holders, but the policy needs to be made clear.
Never thought priority boarding was an important perk and there are a few destinations where I often find the 'priority queue' to be sometimes longer than the normal queue, LHR-FRA or LHR-GVA from heathrow but I guess you are right. It should be made clear.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If LCY have decided not to priority board Silvers/Sapphire, then they are clearly flouting both the BA and oneworld policies.

The reasons for enforcing it at LCY might be valid but it does seem rather unfair that they can change OW rules regrading preferred boarding at some airports just to suit themselves.

Anyway what is the difference between priority boarding and preferred boarding as it's now called? That one always has me wondering.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sschwenk
I hope he will live. Not being priority boarded at LCY is terrible.
Just about. He was extremely grumpy about it tho.

As an aside, on our Peru trip a couple of weeks ago, the LAN gate staff were EXTREMELY deferential when he flashed his Oneworld Sapphire card.

Embarassingly so, in fact. At one gate they even wheeled a wheelchair passenger out of the way so we could board first.

Cheers,
Karen
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

It would be interesting to have Nicci's view on this - but as I have never seen any priority boarding at LCY I guess I can continue to put up with it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The reasons for enforcing it at LCY might be valid but it does seem rather unfair that they can change OW rules regrading preferred boarding at some airports just to suit themselves.

Anyway what is the difference between priority boarding and preferred boarding as it's now called? That one always has me wondering.
+1 on the first paragraph.

As to the second paragraph, I think both mean the same thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.