Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka to join One World

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Sri Lanka to join One World

I note that Sri Lankan is to join One World - but not until late 2013. Does anyone know why it takes such a long time and is there a possibility that their flights could be code shared with BA in advance? If I remember correctly there was some sort of tie up with British Midland?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:28 am
Suspended

Apparently there is a lot to do with the IT integration, fares consolidation, codeshare agreement and FFP agreement with each individual member airlines etc.

Some codeshare agreement comes in fast and some comes in later. I would think the first FFP and codeshare would be between Sri Lanka and Malaysia and Cathay Pacific. British Airways may comes in later. Maybe early 2013?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd totally missed that announcement. Interesting choice - they offer a nice short haul product but the longhaul J class is current CX's wedgie seat. Unless you can score one of the F seats at check in it is an underwhelming ride.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I'd totally missed that announcement. Interesting choice - they offer a nice short haul product but the longhaul J class is current CX's wedgie seat. Unless you can score one of the F seats at check in it is an underwhelming ride.
They are upgrading their premium product offering in exchange of oneworld membership. So next year it might be better.

Surprusing that you missed the announcement. Very unlike you...lol
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Sri Lankan don't offer F (unless that's something new they'll be offering when they join OW)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
Sri Lankan don't offer F (unless that's something new they'll be offering when they join OW)
Correct however the A340's currently being used are CX planes and do have 8F seats installed even though not marketed
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Scallops
I note that Sri Lankan is to join One World - but not until late 2013. Does anyone know why it takes such a long time and is there a possibility that their flights could be code shared with BA in advance? If I remember correctly there was some sort of tie up with British Midland?
It's a very welcome announcement for BOM-based OW flyers. At the moment the range of airlines and destinations on OW is very narrow (LHR, BKK and HKG only if I've done my research right), so having UL join the team will be a nice addition.

Having said that, I was not very impressed with their shorthaul Y product on the BOM-CMB route a couple of months ago. The plane was full of mosquitoes upon boarding and the crew seemed very junior. The flight left at 3 am and landed closer to 6 am, yet the crew felt it necessary to wake me up to ask me if I wanted the in-flight meal (when sleep was what I was having at the time). Perhaps the experience will improve when they join OW!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
You also have RJ (and soon, MH). But of course, point taken: UL will definitely help patch the Indian hole due to the unfortunate absence of IT.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Given the speculation for the last 2 years over whether BA will launch a CMB route from Gatwick, I think we can say - with a fair degree of certainty - that this will now not happen.

But at least this new OW partner will provide a redemption opportunity, a TP earning too, for those of us, like me, with relatives living in Colombo. RJ is a good option, but the forced overnight stay in AMM is a pain - even with the BMI flights, you have to risk a very very short connection if you are to make the RJ flight to CMB...

Direct from LHR will be a big bonus. And I can live with the wedgie seat, I'm sure. But great if it is being improved!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Correct however the A340's currently being used are CX planes and do have 8F seats installed even though not marketed
Interesting, I can't find any seat maps on their website that indicate they use A340s in CX configuration?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Posted on 16th June : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-oneworld.html
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I wonder how this impacts the link with Emirates airlines seeing they own 40 odd % ???
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I wonder how this impacts the link with Emirates airlines seeing they own 40 odd % ???
IIRC, they divested themselves of that a few years ago, did they not? Certainly the management contract and UL's participation in EK's FF programme went the way of the dodo 4 or 5 years ago or so.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NickB
IIRC, they divested themselves of that a few years ago, did they not? Certainly the management contract and UL's participation in EK's FF programme went the way of the dodo 4 or 5 years ago or so.
My ears are burning. I am sitting in DXB right now, waiting to catch my EK flight to CMB.

Yes, EK sold all outstanding stock back to the Sri Lankans just on 2-years ago...
http://www.srilankaequity.com/2010/0...ck-436-pc.html
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:40 am

Confirmed joining on May 1st as a full member.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...neworld-in-may

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.