Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA lounge in Glasgow moving to former bmi lounge [now open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge in Glasgow moving to former bmi lounge [now open]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
I was just told that it would probably move at the end of October.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Bering in mind that this year, summer for us happened during the last week in March -- the end of October is very definitely "late summer" !!!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
To be honest I still dont understand why BA cannot utilise stands 24 and 25 at GLA thus allowing possible priority access to aircraft. Its not as if the stands are really that occupied that often. Last time I travelled through GLA (begining of month) the place resembled a ghost town with Dash 8's and Twin Otters and one Easy jet on the ground alongside one BA 737 and one A319.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nivsy
To be honest I still dont understand why BA cannot utilise stands 24 and 25 at GLA thus allowing possible priority access to aircraft.
BA have always had a monopoly on the gates at the end of the pier.....must be an agreement they have with BAA I imagine. As they sometimes use a wide body on the London routes 19a I think might be the only gate suitable for that size of aircraft.
They might well move after they change lounges but as has been pointed out already it isn't exactly far to walk. The walk to the aircraft door on the jet bridge at T5C is just as long.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Today's OnBusiness newsletter says:

Relax. There’s a new, larger lounge on the horizon for Glasgow.

Due to open early in the autumn of 2012, work on our new lounge at Glasgow airport is now well underway. You can look forward to a lounge that will be twice the size of the current one and comfortably roomy enough for 140 guests.

Conceived by interior designers Graven Image, the lounge will include such features as specially commissioned textiles from Osborne & Little; classic button-back seating made using locally sourced Bridge of Wier Leather; and inspiring work by some of the year’s most promising graduates from the Glasgow School of Art.

The lounge will have a bistro and coffee area with an appetising new menu that includes Scottish porridge oats and breakfast muffins, afternoon tea with cupcakes and treats, and in the evening, a full selection of wraps and filled rolls with a local cheese board and savoury snacks. There will also be a full range of complementary drinks available from the bar.

With several TV and lounge areas, a cosy Glenlivet Whisky Snug and a business suite with Wi-Fi and ‘air printing’ - allowing guests to print from their mobile devices - the lounge will be a conducive environment for those who wish to work or relax in comfort while waiting for their flights.

The existing lounge is still open so there should be no disruption to your journey while we put the finishing touches to your brand new facility.

We look forward to welcoming you to the new lounge in the very near future.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Today's OnBusiness newsletter says:

Relax. There’s a new, larger lounge on the horizon for Glasgow.

Due to open early in the autumn of 2012, work on our new lounge at Glasgow airport is now well underway. You can look forward to a lounge that will be twice the size of the current one and comfortably roomy enough for 140 guests.

Conceived by interior designers Graven Image, the lounge will include such features as specially commissioned textiles from Osborne & Little; classic button-back seating made using locally sourced Bridge of Wier Leather; and inspiring work by some of the year’s most promising graduates from the Glasgow School of Art.

The lounge will have........
Sounds great, could improved lounges at Aberdeen and Edinburgh (neither of which were as "good" as Glasgow I thought, be next on the agenda?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
BA have always had a monopoly on the gates at the end of the pier.....must be an agreement they have with BAA I imagine. As they sometimes use a wide body on the London routes 19a I think might be the only gate suitable for that size of aircraft.
Last time I was up we came off on Stand 22, they used to use 19 though. I suspect 21 is capable but can't be sure. Glasgow used to have dedicated gates, 24 and 25 were Midland, 16 and 17 were Air UK, 18-22 were BA.

GLA domestic looks much quieter nowadays as EZY can shift more in two A319s than Loganair or BA used to with five ATPs, hence on a movements basis, it's less busy.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:56 pm

Those arrangements are long gone. There are a number of 767 capable stands on the "old" domestic pier including 19, 21 (blocking 20)and 22, but ill leave that to the spotters amongst us.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have an update on this? When I was at GLA about 10 days ago, the bmi lounge still looked like a major construction site. I didn't have time to ask for an update in the BA lounge since I was in a hurry.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by tbm13
Does anyone have an update on this? When I was at GLA about 10 days ago, the bmi lounge still looked like a major construction site. I didn't have time to ask for an update in the BA lounge since I was in a hurry.
When I was in on Wed the lounge angels said November.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:58 pm

BA lounge in Glasgow moving to former bmi lounge in late summer

Seems to be late November. Watch this space. Will it be in time for Hogmanay?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cccharlie
Seems to be late November. Watch this space. Will it be in time for Hogmanay?
My next BA flight from Glasgow is on January 1st.... Sweepstakes anyone
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by Teefaf
I must remember to snap a photo on my next, and probably last, visit next week when I will also be taking my family in with me for the first time.
In case you didn't, here you go!

Incidentally, are there any other lounges who trust their guests with a toaster? I tried using it to toast a scone, but some bits of it crumbled off, fell onto the element, and started smoking quite a bit. It required some daring manipulation with a knife to brush it away, but it definitely smelt a bit burney afterwards. Presumably it doesn't cause too many evacuations, or they'd have removed it by now...

Originally Posted by tbm13
Work in progress, a couple of weeks ago:

(I did try taking a pic through the window, but didn't realise my phone's light was on, so all I got was a nicely lit pic of the anti-shatter wire in the glass.)

Originally Posted by andset1191
My next BA flight from Glasgow is on January 1st.... Sweepstakes anyone
I hope it is by then - I'm next there on the 3rd!

Last edited by teflon; Oct 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Well, I fly out on Boxing Day, so I'm going to be very good, hoping that Santa will have a shiny new Galleries Lounge for me by then!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by teflon
Incidentally, are there any other lounges who trust their guests with a toaster?
Surprisingly there is. The Yorkshire Premier Lounge has a toaster for guests to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.