Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did BA ever fly to Kabul or other obscure places that no one flies to now???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA ever fly to Kabul or other obscure places that no one flies to now???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Certainly snickerable

Plenty of airlines fly to KBL, just not from London. BA used to fly to ISB and KHI too, sadly no more (I'm off to ISB again later this year, annoying being stuck on emirates)
You mean you dont fly with the wonderful Pakistan International Airlines????
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Never - unless you count Imperial Airways - and that was before the war. They did not as they were flying in and out of Northolt as BEA. BOAC flew to Rangoon - certainly on the Comet 4. They also flew to Karachi.

BOAC had a flight that left LHR and went to FRA - it went on to Beruit (some of the flights to India in the old days routed via Ciampino before Fiumicino was built for the Olympics) and then flew to Tehran - but I never heard of them flying to Kabul.
I do count Imperial Airways.

BEA was founded post-war - on 1 January 1946, to be precise.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BOAC had a flight that left LHR and went to FRA - it went on to Beruit (some of the flights to India in the old days routed via Ciampino before Fiumicino was built for the Olympics) and then flew to Tehran - but I never heard of them flying to Kabul.
Hopefully they'll keep Beirut with the bmi takeover!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Bemused at the idea of Yangon (Rangoon) or Tehran as weird.
BOAC flew to Rangoon - certainly on the Comet 4.
PUCCI has beaten me to it!

The UK is among several governments that does not recognise the renaming of Rangoon
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:20 am

[/QUOTE] BA used to go to New Zealand and Hawaii too, and for wacky places I hear NQY was a BA destination at one time [/QUOTE]

Oh how I wish BA would fly to NZ again.....
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Is there even much of a market for the Tehran route? Plane loads of nuclear plant inspectors?
I think the current issue is that plane to Tehran AREN't filled with nuclear plant inspectors...
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

[/QUOTE]Oh how I wish BA would fly to NZ again.....[/QUOTE]

I would like that too

If I was in charge of BA in a dream world I would set up a base in Kaula Lumpur (OneWorld Hub when Malaysian joins) and operate flights to all the large Australian cities and New Zealand from it. Then everyone could fly from LHR to Australia/New Zealand easily via KUL.

Not SIN as thats a Star Hub

and not BKK as thats also a Star Hub

not HKG because I do not think Cathay Pacific would allow it (they seem a very fussy airline)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Oh how I wish BA would fly to NZ again.....[/QUOTE]

I would like that too

If I was in charge of BA in a dream world I would set up a base in Kaula Lumpur (OneWorld Hub when Malaysian joins) and operate flights to all the large Australian cities and New Zealand from it. Then everyone could fly from LHR to Australia/New Zealand easily via KUL.

Not SIN as thats a Star Hub

and not BKK as thats also a Star Hub

not HKG because I do not think Cathay Pacific would allow it (they seem a very fussy airline)[/QUOTE]

A fine idea

cs
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:45 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by 45128
I do count Imperial Airways.

BEA was founded post-war - on 1 January 1946, to be precise.
Actually it was the 4th February (just checked) and it was indeed a division of BOAC - so that is a very very distant relationship to Imperial Airways. I think that it is fair to say that BEA never flew to or from Croydon even as a diversion as Heathrow was so close.

Anyway I am sure that I am related to royalty and unlike BEA I did fly from Croydon airport - I was in arms but I flew from there none the less.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
One rather obscure destination, greyed out in the Wikipedia table, will be whitened later this year. The present BD flight to KRT will be in BA livery when take-over is completed.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by srbrenna
The UK is among several governments that does not recognise the renaming of Rangoon
And, independently of what governments do, some may continue to use regular names for place that have changed their official name. Many people still refer to the Netherlands as "Holland", nearly 200 years after its name officially changed, and despite governments recognizing the renaming. I expect people to stick longer to names of places they don't use often...

Last edited by Richelieu; Jun 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm Reason: adding a missing word...
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
This is a youtube video of what really happened at LPL overnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjl0rLKoqw
The mean yellow cat ate my airplane!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by onobond
One rather obscure destination, greyed out in the Wikipedia table, will be whitened later this year. The present BD flight to KRT will be in BA livery when take-over is completed.
I have a feeling that it won't survive longer than W12, if at all.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Richelieu
And, independently of what governments do, some may continue to use regular names for place that have changed their official name. Many people still refer to the Netherlands as "Holland", nearly 200 years after its name officially changed, and despite governments recognizing the renaming. I expect people to stick longer to names of places they don't use often...
Nothing to do with common parlance, rather whether the UK accepts the legitimacy of the ruling junta and its right to change the name...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
the republic of cyprus government has just made it illegal to download or use sat navs that display turkified names for occupied towns and villages in the north.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.