How early can I check in at JFK?

Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

How early can I check in at JFK?

Hello all-

Looking for some insight from the experts... I am flying from JFK to LHR with a teen group (40 teens!) and I'd like to check in before all the teens arrive at JFK and I have to help get them all checked in. So my question is... how early does checkin at JFK open? We are flying BA 112 with a 6:50pm departure.

Thanks for all help.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I often get that early evening flight and regularly check in 2 1/2 hours before the flight. If JFK is the same as LHR (which it may not be!!) then the maximum check-in time is 3 hours before departure unless you have status or are travelling business/first.

I assume that you would want to stay land-side to help check them in? Once they are air-side then there is shopping to do, but I'm sure they would rather spend their time in New York than JFK!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I'm going to...

Thanks for the insight (I was hoping to check in way earlier, but not surprised by the answer). I am also on the trip with the group, and I'd like to check in first to get a seat where I can manage the group and remind them all of how to check in and where we are meeting after check in is done (before we all go through TSA together). Being a group we have a block of seats but nothing assigned yet.

They don't get time in NYC... so its meet at JFK, do a quick orientation landside, get airside and allow some meeting each other and and shop/wander.

Last edited by sethinohio; Jun 6, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The announcement that we make for arrivals into JFK is that we advice you check in online 24 hours prior to departure or a maximum of 4 hours before departure at the airport check in desks.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:50 pm

When does the priority security open?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:36 pm

OP: May I ask what type of discount you received when booking 40 seats?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by nickfabb
With group bookings (esp US domestic) it is often actually more expensive to book a group. So it was not necessarily a discount.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by mileshound
When does the priority security open?
Last time I arrived at JFK quite early from a connecting flight it was closed and I was told it opened 3 hours before the flight. I had my mobile boarding pass so just went through standard security straight to the lounge.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
After the early morning flight has gone, and things have quitened down, my experience is they keep a check in desk open, so it should be possible to check in from about 10 a.m. I did this the day the ash cloud ended, just to be sure! However, it was quite normal for the desk to be open. JFK is very good and flexible - if it comes to it, ask and you will probably receive!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nickfabb
I didn't buy so can't say. Sorry

And good to hear about the post 10 am desk most likely being option, that's what I was hoping for.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Bear in mind that there is little to do at T7 after security, and even less to do before security, so whilst I can see the attraction of early check-in, I can see the disadvantage of a load of bored teens...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

The teens won't be checking in till way later. I arrive from CLE at 7/15, so I'll chek in early if I can. The teens will do a brief orientation land side, but then we will go airside around 2.5 hours before departure. From a staffing pov I'd rather have them airside, they can't leave, then land side.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You may want to phone BA and ask their advice as to what is best.

Afterall checking in 40 people is a pretty big task - what with checking ID, seat assignments, have they all done their APIS, tagging their bags etc etc - so they may want to put some special arrangements in place to make it easier for them (and you and also other passengers!)

You may also want to check the JFK terminal maps to see what facilities are available e.g. for food and drink both air and landside as in my opinion landside is often better than airside.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The information in MMB for my JFK to LHR flight states that the airport check in open at 06:30 for AM flights and 10:00 for PM flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.