Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Canary Wharf to City Airport - DLR all the way?

Old May 31, 12, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

I need to do this journey tomorrow after a meeting.

I would have thought Jubilee line to Canning Town then DLR from there was the way to go, but tfl.gov.uk is saying DLR to Poplar then DLR to the airport.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old May 31, 12, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post

I would have thought Jubilee line to Canning Town then DLR from there was the way to go, but tfl.gov.uk is saying DLR to Poplar then DLR to the airport.
Pretty sure Poplar is all on the one level, so changing DLR-DLR should be very quick (maybe even same platform? not sure about that).

Canning town has the Jubilee line at a different level to the DLR platforms so changing might take a few minutes longer (?) could that be why?
Old May 31, 12, 10:56 am

Programs: F
Taxi for me.
Old May 31, 12, 10:58 am

It used to say via Canning Town.
Old May 31, 12, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It would partly depend on where in Canary Wharf you're starting from. Are you nearer the DLR or nearer the Jubilee Line?
Old May 31, 12, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Are there engineering works?

Canning Town and up an escalator direct to DLR
Old May 31, 12, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Depends where in the wharf site your meeting is as to whihc is best!

The DLR and Jubilee Line stations are not next to each other and a good few mins walk apart.
Old May 31, 12, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, BA AmexPremPlus, AmexGoldMR, Oyster card
The DLR is (surprisingly) fairly painless, especially if you have an Oyster card. I think it's one of the more dependable lines/routes on the TFL network.
Old May 31, 12, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold GL
The change at Poplar is very easy. Cross the platform.

There are no direct DLR trains from Canary Wharf to LCY - you always have to change at Poplar. The direct trains all go to Bank and now to Stratford.

Going to Canning town on the Jubilee line is better from Canary Wharf and the DLR is just up the escalator
Old May 31, 12, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'm likely going to be in Reuters Plaza (that sounds a lot better than 'the pub' so the reality is getting to either of the two platforms there can't be more than 90 seconds in it.

Wonder if the Jubilee line was suspended when I made the enquiry???

Yep, have just gone back in and it's saying jubilee line. Approx 7 or 8 mins faster, too.

Last edited by Swiss Tony; May 31, 12 at 12:09 pm
Old May 31, 12, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's bound to be much of a muchness, however Canary Wharf Jubilee is few hundred metres from Canary Wharf DLR, so one factor, I guess, is how close you are to which station. Jubilee has a more frequent service interval (generally) but Poplar is across the platform.

In this posting I gave one person's rather precise timings, though of course it was a sample size of 1. To avoid coming across as a complete nerd I didn't give the intermediate station timings, but here they are, especially for you....

LHR to LCY - Tube only

T5 Airside Gate 1 arrive 08:05
T5 Tube platform 08:10 - START CLOCK
T5 Tube depart 08:17 - Piccadilly line
Hammersmith depart 08:55
South Kensington depart 09:01

Green Park arrive 09:13 - used walkway, not exit and down
Green Park depart 09:17 - Jubilee line
Canary Wharf depart 09:30
Canning Town arrive 09:35
Canning Town depart 09:38 - DLR
City Airport platform 09:43 - STOP CLOCK
City Airport airside 09:49
Old May 31, 12, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
As a Wharf resident my preference is for the tube to Canning Town and DLR from there. Slightly more frequent trains on the Jubilee line and if it's raining Poplar doesn't have as much cover as Canning Town DLR. Plus if something goes wrong with the DLR, you're closer to LCY if you need to get a taxi.

Last edited by dddc; May 31, 12 at 2:14 pm
Old May 31, 12, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Plus if something goes wrong with the DLR, you're closer to LCY if you need to get a taxi.
That's a very good point. The DLR seems to have a lot of weekend engineering works too.

Indeed there is a taxi rank and a bus station with frequent services to DLR right by and visible from Canning Town. You could even walk it in extremis (2.5 miles). Should the Woolwich service go down but Beckton keeps running, City Airport is a pleasant 15 minute walk from Royal Albert DLR, there's a footpath under the bridge across the dock.
Old May 31, 12, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
I live in the wharf and would always take a cab or ad lee car, which are generally quicker and a bit less public transport. Funnily enough i am making this trip tomorrow too to get the BA1 and I will definitely be taking a taxi.
Old May 31, 12, 3:54 pm

Programs: BMI
I live in the wharf and always take the DLR!

TFL is faulty tonight as it thinks the jubilee line is down but it's not

The best route is dlr to poplar and walk across the platform to the lewisham / canary wharf train. They normally arrive at the same time.

Alternatively, you can get off at poplar, cross the bridge next to Hsbc and you're there.

If you are going to the Reuters plaza then the dlr would be marginally quicker. The alternative is dlr to canning town and jubilee to canary wharf, and exit the main west exit

Jon

Search this Thread
Search Engine: