Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Avios award flight on return

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Changing Avios award flight on return

My parents booked Lax-Lhr-mad and took the outbound flight Monday. My dad is not well and needs to go home sooner than the scheduled return of June 7th. I researched and found some seats on the 4th but called BA and was told no changes can be made on return...period
I tried to do a dummy booking and read all the T&C and do not see that rule? Only thing I saw was change fee of course and 72 hrs advance to reissue?
Any advice is helpful thanks
Old May 31, 2012, 1:40 am

I am sure that once the change period for the outbound flight passes you cannot change the return as they are seen as one booking.

Some people make two separate bookings so that the out does not lock the return and allows change until the point is reached for that flight to become unchangable.

Will the insurance pay up if it is a medical emergency issue?
Old May 31, 2012, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I am sure that once the change period for the outbound flight passes you cannot change the return as they are seen as one booking.

Some people make two separate bookings so that the out does not lock the return and allows change until the point is reached for that flight to become unchangable.

Will the insurance pay up if it is a medical emergency issue?
I wonder why this would not be spelled out in the T&C for award tix...I know this is the case with UA partner awards but it's very clearly spelled out
Old May 31, 2012, 2:02 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
It is stated somewhere, but I can't recall where at the moment, but I have read that you can't change the inbound after the outbound has been flown.

He should not have any problem with his travel insurance though, as long as he gets a doctors note. (this is exactly one of the circumstances one has travel insurance for).

bjorns
Old May 31, 2012, 2:11 am

Sorry to hear that your father is not well. There have been cases reported where BA changed the flights in similar circumstances so I would try again to see if they are more sympathetic. It's a shame Nicci (the BA representavie on here) is out of the office as she may have been able to help.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
My parents booked Lax-Lhr-mad and took the outbound flight Monday. My dad is not well and needs to go home sooner than the scheduled return of June 7th. I researched and found some seats on the 4th but called BA and was told no changes can be made on return...period
I tried to do a dummy booking and read all the T&C and do not see that rule? Only thing I saw was change fee of course and 72 hrs advance to reissue?
Any advice is helpful thanks
The rule about no changes is in the executive club t and c's and set forth here:
14.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and (subject to Clause 14.2.) route. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13. If more than one Avios & Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. A fee as specified on ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.
BAEC though relaxed this rule a year or more ago (at least for UK members) and Nicci issued a statement that BA service centers "should be flexible where possible."
See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12109996-post50.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...bound-leg.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...departure.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rd-ticket.html
Old May 31, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bjorns
It is stated somewhere, but I can't recall where at the moment, but I have read that you can't change the inbound after the outbound has been flown.

He should not have any problem with his travel insurance though, as long as he gets a doctors note. (this is exactly one of the circumstances one has travel insurance for).

bjorns
Most UK travel insurance policies do not cover the loss of Avios (except BA's nominatwed insurance partner). But the cost of buying new tickets should be covered, but the insurer must be informed before travel and agree, and no doubt medical justification will be required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.