Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre-Departure Drinks in F: What can they serve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Departure Drinks in F: What can they serve?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Bit of a faff I imagine for the crew if everyone starts demanding different drinks other than those offered. Especially if everyone boards at the same time.
I'll have a Dubonnet and ginger beer and the wife would like a tequila and freshly squeezed jaffa juice.

Your post is a red herring -

The US airlines generally serve PDBs - mixed drinks, wines, beers - it is the same standards in the air - rum & coke, gin & tonic.

The only questions was if Cabin Crew could serve the same drinks in the air as on the ground - and in fact - turns out until recently there was more leeway.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Is this not because BA won't pay the extra duty to have the bars opened fully before departure? Or is that an FT myth?
Old May 27, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold
On my recent BAH-DOH TP run flights this was the cause of some confusion.

On the first flight, BAH - DOH no alcohol served.

On the return flight DOH - BAH (same night) champagne offered and gladly accepted.

The following Night BAH - DOH bubbly offered.

Same night DOH - BAH same crew and no bubbly again.

I know these are short flights but the inconsistency is the confusing part....... not a complaint, just an observation.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spbeck
On my recent BAH-DOH TP run flights this was the cause of some confusion.

On the first flight, BAH - DOH no alcohol served.

On the return flight DOH - BAH (same night) champagne offered and gladly accepted.

The following Night BAH - DOH bubbly offered.

Same night DOH - BAH same crew and no bubbly again.

I know these are short flights but the inconsistency is the confusing part....... not a complaint, just an observation.
In some places there is no alcohol served on the ground - for example, ex-India.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Saudi too......

<-------

Old May 27, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The rules are no champagne pre-take off ex The Middle East and India.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:52 am

Thanks for the info CIHY.

Now I know what to expect, but more important to me, i know not to ask crew and put them in the position of having to decline
Old May 27, 2012, 10:53 am

I flew PIA to ISB some years back and I seem to recall that they would not serve alcohol at all, even in F during flight (but I might be misremembering that).
Old May 27, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Homer15
I flew PIA to ISB some years back and I seem to recall that they would not serve alcohol at all, even in F during flight (but I might be misremembering that).
No Alcohol on Saudia.

No alcohol on Oman Air serving Saudi.

No Alcohol on BA services whilst in Saudi airspace.

For those who are interested.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:18 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by spbeck
Thanks for the info CIHY.

Now I know what to expect, but more important to me, i know not to ask crew and put them in the position of having to decline
It's part and parcel of the job to have to say "No" in a polite and positive way. I am aware that US airlines can but often just do not serve drinks on the ground. The whole problem stems from HM Customs not allowing us to open anything other than the bar containing the pre-flight Champagne. Your queries should be addressed to them. The rule is that no tax free alcohol may be consumed whilst still in the country.

My instinct is to give people what they want but if customs came aboard we would be in big trouble. Champagne - even today - is considered special and so that is why it is offered. Please note that the famous US carriers all serve domestic bubbles on the ground and in the air in F domestic.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The whole problem stems from HM Customs not allowing us to open anything other than the bar containing the pre-flight Champagne.
I cant imagine starting a flight with anything else
Old May 27, 2012, 12:30 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The new service standard for handing out the menus in First is that they should not be given out UNTIL the customers asks to eat, what are your thoughts?
Mine are that this is stupid and will not go down well with our customers and will be ignored by our crew.
I agree that this is a stupid change. I like to receive the menu when on the ground. It kills some dead time when there's not much else to do. I then order and simply say I'd like to eat now or in x hours. I'm sure that must also help the crew in terms of knowing what different passengers will be eating and when - they can plan their service better.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
I'll have a Dubonnet and ginger beer and the wife would like a tequila and freshly squeezed jaffa juice.
Boy, are you going to be disappointed. AFAIK BA doesn't stock any of those drinks, although a good cabin crew member will raid the fruit baskets and squeeze some oranges for you

I think the comment upstream about 'putting people first' is spot on. Strong, imaginative management should empower front line staff to make on the spot decisions that are outside 'strict by-the-book' limitations. Just saying 'No' hacks people off, especially in F. Obviously, if local laws dont allow it I wouldn't expect crew to break those rules, and where it is not possible to meet a request, a polite explanation should be perfectly doable - surely this sort of scenario and how to handle it, is part of a well structured training course.

All this doing it by the book bureacracy and topping it off with a rude refusal is the outcome of poor management or leadership, often symptomatic of bean counters or management consultants being involved as opposed to people who understand (the value of) service.

The Menus in F should definitely be handed out on the ground, or at a pinch, immediately after take off. What a daft idea to wait until the passenger wants to eat. Ridiculous
Old May 27, 2012, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Boy, are you going to be disappointed. AFAIK BA doesn't stock any of those drinks,
Really?

I'll just have an Irn Bru on the rocks then.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Really?

I'll just have an Irn Bru on the rocks then.
Hi,

I do not think BA have Irn Bru on board either!

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.