Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways has been embroiled in a row with musicians

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

The Telegraph: British Airways has been embroiled in a row with musicians
I know I would worry if an expensive instrument was put in the hold...of course, I've always found it amusing when I see a cello occupying a seat.

Until recently they were allowed to carry small instruments as long as they were smaller than 126 centimetres (50 inches) in length.

This meant that such items as violins could be carried in overhead lockers as part of the hand baggage allowance.

However a change in policy has cut the maximum length to 56 centimetres (22 inches) which, the Incorporated Society of Musicians says, means that instruments are being consigned to the hold.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I'm not usually an apologist, but space is at a premium on board: musicians can always fly with easyjet or take the ferry if they're unhappy.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
So I called my friend Johnny And I said to him:I agree - assuming all hobbies/sports are treated the same. I don't see why musicians should be a special case UNLESS they generate so much revenue that special treatment is desirable.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
How about Yo Yo Ma's cello? Am sure he won't allow it to stay under, or does he fly private?
Old May 26, 2012, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I'm not usually an apologist, but space is at a premium on board: musicians can always fly with easyjet or take the ferry if they're unhappy.
Sage advice. There are daily ferry departures to destinations across the Atlantic and Pacific, and EZ has one of the most extensive longhaul networks in the aviation industry.

Only a very tiny minority of BA's pax travel with violins or similar instruments. Accommodating them shouldn't cause huge problems.

Johan
Old May 26, 2012, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Sage advice. There are daily ferry departures to destinations across the Atlantic and Pacific, and EZ has one of the most extensive longhaul networks in the aviation industry.

Only a very tiny minority of BA's pax travel with violins or similar instruments. Accommodating them shouldn't cause huge problems.

Johan
I've found overstuffed duffle bags or carryon suitcases cause more problems than instruments...
Old May 26, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by rwoman
I've found overstuffed duffle bags or carryon suitcases cause more problems than instruments...
+1 ^
Old May 27, 2012, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
How about Yo Yo Ma's cello?
Very expensive instruments are likely to be insured, and I suspect the policy may well stipulate specific conditions of carriage, as for valuable works of art that are loaned to museums across the world.

Johan
Old May 27, 2012, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see why it is that newsworthy; musicians are not forced to fly BA ; if BA no longer meets their needs then they are free ( like anyone else ) to choose another carrier which better meets them

If they choose to fly BA, then accept that the BA policies will exist

Dave
Old May 27, 2012, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Very expensive instruments are likely to be insured, and I suspect the policy may well stipulate specific conditions of carriage, as for valuable works of art that are loaned to museums across the world.

Johan
Of course they are insured, but would Mr Ma let his rather expensive instrument in the hull? I think art works put in a different compartment than the luggage.

I remember when Mr Ma forgot his cello in the trunk of a NY taxi, the driver promptly returned it.

I once flew on the same flight with the magna carta, it was housed in the front of the plane.

Last edited by Yahillwe; May 27, 2012 at 12:30 am
Old May 27, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they are insured, but would Mr Ma let his rather expensive instrument in the hull?
I suspect the insurance companies would much rather not have expensive instruments travel in the hull.

I once flew on the same flight with the magna carta, it was housed in the front of the plane
I can remember the days when firearms were routinely housed in the front of the plane. On boarding, pax would hand them to the pilot for safekeeping in the cockpit.

Johan
Old May 27, 2012, 1:57 am

Should professional cyclists be permitted to take often extremely valuable bicycles in the cabin? 15,000 USD is not unusual. If load is placed on the bike incorrectly, they will break. In fact, should cyclists have to pay extra to transport their bikes? What about golf clubs?
Old May 27, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As I understand it from musicians I know, if you have a valuable instrument that's over the size limit for hand baggage (eg a cello) you buy it a seat (I understand seats bought for this purpose are exempt from APD). From BA's point of view, I can understand why they want to make the change, as someone has commented, why should musicians be treated any differently to other passengers? From the ISM's point of view though, I can see why they are protesting.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
When I worked for Go Fly, I booked many a seat for Mr Cello and a few for Mr D Bass. I dont know why they were always Mr....
Old May 27, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see why it is that newsworthy; musicians are not forced to fly BA ; if BA no longer meets their needs then they are free ( like anyone else ) to choose another carrier which better meets them
Well, the newsworthiness of an item is only very marginally related to the existence of alternatives. If BA were to decree that everybody needs to board their planes naked, that would be newsworthy notwithstanding the fact that you can choose another carrier.
This item is newsworthy in the same way as changes to baggage policy in general are newsworthy. Not exactly on a par with man landing on the moon but still slightly better than the news that a dog was killed while crossing the road in SE16.

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle
Should professional cyclists be permitted to take often extremely valuable bicycles in the cabin? 15,000 USD is not unusual. If load is placed on the bike incorrectly, they will break. In fact, should cyclists have to pay extra to transport their bikes? What about golf clubs?
Bikes are substantially larger than a violin (we are talking about small musical instruments here, not large ones like cellos, for instance). There is no reason why fragile and expensive sporting equipment of small size used by professional athletes should be treated differently from small, fragile and expensive musical instruments used by professional musicians. It does not follow that the same shoud apply to larger items, still less that it should be free of charge.

While I understand the disappointment of the ICM, I must say that the way they phrase their disappointment as outrage as if something was owed to them is rather unpleasant and certainly weakens their case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.