Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LCY-LHR connection, 175 minutes - possible?

Old May 25, 12, 4:47 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GL CCR, AC Elite 75k, SPG Plat, VX Gold (useless)

Have a horrid itinerary coming up where I need to get from IBZ to ATL in a day, and I really don't want to take Delta or KLM.

Due to work I can't leave Ibiza before about 7am, so my current best option is to take the first IBZ-LCY which arrives at 12.10... then the LHR-ATL which departs at 15.05, leaving 175 minutes for a not-very-fun transfer across London.

BA.com will book a LCY-LHR transfer with an MCT of 180 minutes, so I'm only 5 minutes under. I don't mind the fact I'm not covered in case of a missed connection, but would like some advice on how long this journey can actually take.

Assuming we land into LCY on time and take a normal amount of time to get out, I'd have two hours, more or less, to get to T5 before conformance cut-off. Hand baggage only obviously.

Should probably be ok........right?
Old May 25, 12, 4:50 am

What mode of transport are you planning to use?
Old May 25, 12, 4:51 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Day and Date would help as we have to consider weekday traffic and potential Olympics/Jubilee delays.

I recently did Canary Wharf to T5 on Tube in 70 mins.
Old May 25, 12, 4:58 am
Gaz
Original Poster

June 22nd. My London knowledge isn't that amazing so any advice on mode of transport would be helpful.

My initial idea was to cab to Paddington then jump on the HEX for the rest of the way out to LHR.
Old May 25, 12, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would scrub the cab option personally...

DLR to one of the Jubilee line stations, Jubilee line to Green Park then onto the Piccadilly line to LHR. More than enough time if your flight arrived from IBZ on time...

The cab will take a while to get to Paddington, you could be 2/3 of the way there by the time you were nearing Paddington, and for a fraction of the price.
Old May 25, 12, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, Starbucks Gold
How about bike limo?
Old May 25, 12, 5:08 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnny5a View Post
How about bike limo?
Just looked them up and that is actually not a bad idea at all. Have you actually taken one? I presume my intl carry-on sized Tumi will fit on the back?
Old May 25, 12, 5:09 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
I would scrub the cab option personally...

DLR to one of the Jubilee line stations, Jubilee line to Green Park then onto the Piccadilly line to LHR. More than enough time if your flight arrived from IBZ on time...

The cab will take a while to get to Paddington, you could be 2/3 of the way there by the time you were nearing Paddington, and for a fraction of the price.
Thanks for that - sounds a good plan. I've never taken the DLR before, isn't the Piccadilly line a real crawl to LHR though? Last time I did it, it just seemed to go on for ever!
Old May 25, 12, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
The schlep across London from LCY to LHR isn't particularly attractive, I have to say.

Personally, I would probably go DLR to Canning Town, then Jubilee to Green Park, then Piccadilly Line to T5.

Not sure it's worth adding another connection for the sake of using the HEX by going DLR to Canning Town, then Jubilee to Waterloo, then Bakerloo line to Paddington, then onto the HEX. Every additional interchange (a) loses time and (b) increases the chances of running into disruption.

The interchange between Jubilee and Piccadilly at Green Park is a bit of a hassle, but so is Jubilee to Bakerloo at Waterloo.

Taking a black cab from City to Paddington would be very expensive and take a lot more time IME.

Of all the tube lines involved, the Jubilee will be most error prone.
Old May 25, 12, 5:19 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 15 at 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Thanks for that - sounds a good plan. I've never taken the DLR before, isn't the Piccadilly line a real crawl to LHR though? Last time I did it, it just seemed to go on for ever!
Well, indeed... Not as speedy as the HEx, however, your whole journey from LCY to LHR will be maybe 1H20 or so... And for about 4... But, I know that money is not an issue to some when they are expensing it... So, whichever is going to be better for you.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DLR, Jubilee to Baker Street cross platform interchange for the Bakerloo to Paddington and then the HEX. Do able but a bit tight.

Far more predictable than waiting at Green Park wondering if a T5 train will turn up.
Old May 25, 12, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
The Journey Pro iPhone app is suggesting 1h 40m from LCY to LHR - DLR, Jubille and Piccadilly

Mr B
Old May 25, 12, 5:25 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Well, indeed... Not as speedy as the HEx, however, your whole journey from LCY to LHR will be maybe 1H20 or so... And for about 4... But, I know that money is not an issue to some when they are expensing it... So, whichever is going to be better for you.
Not really an issue of expenses vs non-expenses - choice really is whatever has the most chance of getting me there on time. Comfort is no issue either, hence considering a bike limo
Old May 25, 12, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
It's not that slow, although it's a reasonable way out but it's one less connection than the HEX route.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Far more predictable than waiting at Green Park wondering if a T5 train will turn up.
Should be quite ok that time of day. If you arrive at Paddington just after the HEX has left, it's a 15 minute wait for the next one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: