The BA Cloud!

Old Aug 3, 16, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
More for my "clouds across the UK" series ()

On departure from LBA in the evening 29 July

some on the way to LHR

rather stormy clouds over north London which we passed through - a little bumpy

and on the ground

Old Aug 22, 16, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Photo taken during our climb out of IAD earlier this month

Old Aug 22, 16, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
A couple taken on my way out of LCY yesterday...

Old Aug 25, 16, 7:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Lovely pics everyone, will comment on one or two, great to see some new cloud pics being posted...Thank you!

Some from my two recent trips (one to Basel and the other to Stockholm)

First Basel airport, early June this year... (sorry I originally typed LPA but then realised I had mixed them up!)

This one is of a quite well developed thunderstorm with lightning and thunder in the dying stages of its life...was brilliant to be airside and out on a terrace watching and listening to it approach the airfield but still sitting in the warmth and dry I didn't look to see but it may have been up to 16 Km thick and it continues to amaze me that some rain drops that fell on my face later may have done that distance several times vertically before coming to a demise...

Thunderstorm CB cloud moving in
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Then working from the top down, some from my flight back from ARN yesterday...I like flying from ARN as it may be my imagination but they seem to fly higher altitudes than when going to many other destinations...

Anyway, here some very nice single strands of high altitude Cirrus (the moving map wasn't on or working so can't comment on exact altitudes sorry!) which always have me wondering why they form exactly there (when they are not made from contrails)....and why do they have some lovely hooked upwards bits exactly where they do?

Wispy thin Cirrus from above
by BA_pics, on Flickr

then down to the same level as the Cirrus which gives a very nice three dimensional aspect to it and shows the vertical extent for something we all assume is so flat when viewed from below...You can also just about see the vertical hooks of the Cirrus in the distance...

hooked Cirrus
by BA_pics, on Flickr

then some very well behaved (and friendly to air travel) Altocumulus Floccus...think of a flock of sheep and wool and little cotton balls of this cloud at mid level...

Altocumulus Floccus
by BA_pics, on Flickr

It was quite a smooth flight but there was definitely patches of mid level turbulence on route yesterday as plenty of mid level ACC and bands of AC being chopped up from the sinusoidal turbulence waves...

Sorry for the poor quality but the windows on the 767 were not very clean, nor free from blemishes themselves...

The chap behind me would wonder what the hell I was photographing and look out to see and must have been scratching his head!

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did and please do continue to post any pictures of weather or clouds you see while underway to your favourite BA / OW destination (or at destination of course)...

Thanks.

Last edited by BotB; Aug 25, 16 at 8:07 am Reason: wrong airport!
Old Aug 25, 16, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
After an hour ground stop at CLT a couple of weeks ago, waiting to depart to LAX, this impressive humdinger caused a sizeable detour.

Old Aug 31, 16, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Nice picture there PrimaVista you can really see the power and energy going into the anvil shape of the Cumulonimbus cloud and I love how the light captures the detail of the upper part of the anvil shape (before the more striated upper lip) with the detail of the furrows almost as if some invisible hand is working in clay and moulding the shape upwards and outwards...

I also have come across a new weather phenomenon (to me at least)...thought I would share it with those interested here on the thread.

A Haboob. What is that I hear you ask?

Well I'm glad you asked: Definition of a Haboob.

I saw this article today and thought I would share it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-over-phoenix/

Dust storms I've seen, but not viewed from the air and not due to any thunderstorm wind outflows...although not BA or OW...this was just too nice a pic and aviation related story to not post about...one to watch for on your next BA flight then to be sure
Old Aug 31, 16, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Nice picture there PrimaVista
Indeed. Impressive.
Old Aug 31, 16, 9:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
These lovely clouds en route to Stockholm...

Old Oct 5, 16, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Tenuous link but still potentially of interest to those very frequent fliers from BA airports and the UK in general...

The UK Met Office provides an aviation forecasting service and this tends to be through their OpenRunway package which has had an update and is now available for use on mobile and tablet format so that staff not in an office environment can also have access to the latest data...Obviously it is generally for airport customers and I have no idea if they offer it to private individuals as well but maybe of interest to know what the BA airports are using for the FT geek!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/openrunway

I've also taken a few cloud pics during my recent flights and will upload those here soon. Thanks to those above that have recently posted some nice pics!
Old Oct 5, 16, 4:32 am
Original Poster

At a recent conference I found out that the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) is going to move their official international cloud atlas (ICA) which used to be a hard bound book, to an online portal.

The website for this new portal is here:

http://wmo-cloudatlas.org/index.php/en/

Currently, the home page is for image submission only and I would suggest that you just check it occasionally to see if they have finally made the atlas available online or not (rather than try to submit photos as there are quite specific requirements for the subject and image)...

For the real Cloud enthusiast (or indeed aviation weather geek), the link on the header of the above WMO page (heading Links) allows you to download both the older volumes (scanned paper copies) of the ICA (vol 1 and 2). Vol 1 is a text document that describes the various clouds and meteors in the sky in words, with vol 2 being pictures of those phenomenon.

Trust this will be of use and provide some hour(s) of learning/pleasure to those interested in this thread and topic during your travels.
Old Oct 6, 16, 6:39 am
Original Poster

A couple of mine from a recent trip:

A lovely sunset flying BA codeshare on IB metal from LHR to MAD (was supposed to be the A330 but was subbed to a 346, still nicer than CE on A320!)...anyway, heading to the sun: (sorry about the reflections, too much light in the cabin. The phone didn't capture the spectral range a human eye would see but you get the idea and I also liked the way the high level clouds were being blown upwards and striated from the higher winds...

evening sunset
by BA_pics, on Flickr

This one was the return journey (IB 346) MAD - LHR, there was some very unstable air mass around that day but not enough moisture to cause more than these small pocket rockets (Cumulus that was trying hard to be towering cumulus)

Dynamic Energy from unstable Cumulus clouds
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Finally, I love the contrast of the deep blue hue of the sky at altitude compared to the silky white duvet of this mid-level Altostatus layer between MAD and FRA on LAN 789 (its actually very hard to look that far backwards in 1A )

LAN 789 MAD FRA lovely blue sky above stable mid layer cloud deck
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Any others have some nice / interesting cloud / meteorological related pictures from your recent BA/OW travels?
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Into the sun (FRA-LHR over eastern England)

Cloud window… (FRA-LHR over eastern England)

The BA low (cost) cloud (BLQ-LHR, Alpershallahorn & Teurihorn, cloud tops around 2500m)

Another BA low (cost) cloud (BLQ-LHR, west of Heathrow)

Last edited by CKBA; Nov 28, 16 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 28, 16, 6:48 am

Something slightly different;

London by night on final to LHR, November 22nd 2016.

Old Nov 28, 16, 6:51 am

A couple inbound to KUL.
24 Nov 2016.

Old Nov 28, 16, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From today, somewhere north of Dublin before beginning the approach.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread