Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Cloud!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
I was busy flying Iran Air so no BA flights lately

This is from my trip to the US last year (going across the pond on BA!). Approach to ATL on DFW-ATL (on AA obviously):

This probably explains why we were flying around the cloud:

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Been a while since I posted, sorry, hope to have some new cloud and weather photos from BA flights this coming week...

In the meantime, a slightly tenuous link to BA but some light reading before bed (BA had 737's...oh, how I miss that CE cabin and overhead locker space!)

A quick guide to aircraft wing movement in turbulence
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
There is a really annoying ad blocking most of the text on my phone for that link Botb, so here is a pic i like on descent in lhr yesterday to make up for it:

Untitled by jcm9000, on Flickr

And a rainbow over the house i grew up in in approach to Glasgow:

by jcm9000, on Flickr

Loads more on flickr from my recent trip, thinking of doing a tr, need to move some from the private folder first...

Last edited by jcm9000; Nov 25, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Here's an IR photo taken on a OW TAM flight from GRU to JPA on 2015-04-26. The river is the Rio San Francisco, Brazil, taken over Porto da Folha. The camera is an infrared-modified Canon S90 - infrared cuts through haze very nicely - the coastline in the distance is over 120km away!

Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

sorry, made a booboo on the phone...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:14 pm

Here's a Lufthansa A340 catching the low winter sun and making it's own cloud - taken from BA6 from NRT to LHR on 2014-11-22 over northern Russia. We were above the A340 (BA6 was a 777) and travelling slightly faster (I could have sworn that we drew along side, then gently accelerated ahead...!).

Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:55 pm

A cloud is split apart by lightning - OW AA930 from GRU to MIA on approach to MIA (a still from a video taken on a Canon SX260 in super-high speed mode)

Convection over the Bahamas taken at dawn from OW AA930 from GRU to MIA on 2015-10-20 on approach to MIA.

Convective cloud-lings waiting to develop once the sun gets up. Taken at dawn from OW AA930 from GRU to MIA on 2015-10-20 on approach to MIA.

Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:19 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jcm9000
There is a really annoying ad blocking most of the text on my phone for that link Botb
Oops, sorry if that was the case, I did notice there was some airline ad that came up when I went to the site as well but didn't try it on a phone sorry!

so here is a pic i like on descent in lhr yesterday to make up for it:

I always like these type of pictures as I do find it fascinating to see this 'dry' layer between two other saturated layers (the cloud layers above and below it) that are quite close to each other vertically. To see such a well defined horizontal 'cap' and 'base' between the layers piques one's curiosity about what was happening in the atmosphere that created such distinct layers. Interesting. ^

And a rainbow over the house i grew up in in approach to Glasgow:

by jcm9000, on Flickr

Loads more on flickr from my recent trip, thinking of doing a tr, need to move some from the private folder first...
Nice ^, something I notice in that picture is that it looks like you captured a second rainbow segment as well...(or it may have been the window reflection but I don't think so as it is visually correct (and reversed from the first rainbow)...

I've taken a screenshot and put the red bubble to show where the second rainbow segment is (you can see it better over the small lit up field in the background of the section I highlight in the bubble.

second partial rainbow
by BA_pics, on Flickr

I love that regardless of the picture, in the first rainbow we always see the colours go from the violet into blues and greens then to the yellow and reds on the outside of the rainbow and that in any second rainbow you will see the colours reverse so that red is in the inside and it goes to the greens / violets on the outside.

Thanks for the interesting pics jcm9000 ^ Hope we'll catch up at some DO or lounge this coming calendar year!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Passed by the large cloud on the approach in to BGO last Saturday morning:

And a rather low thin broken layer of cloud over London on the return on Sunday:

Cruising above the cloud layer on the way back from CPH a few weeks ago in the early evening:

Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Welcome to the cloud thread CKBA ^ , some cracking photos you have there, thanks for sharing them ^^

A few comments to those you already kindly pointed out ^

Originally Posted by CKBA
Here's an IR photo taken on a OW TAM flight from GRU to JPA on 2015-04-26. The river is the Rio San Francisco, Brazil, taken over Porto da Folha. The camera is an infrared-modified Canon S90 - infrared cuts through haze very nicely - the coastline in the distance is over 120km away!

The image shows very well the very clear distinct formation of the individual cells of the Cumulus (and some show promise to later become towering cumulus) with the strikingly strong contrast of the very cold temperature 'whites' within the cloud. The other nice thing about this photo is the way it highlights the cloud motion clearly...from bottom left to upper right in the photo as we can see the cloud tops clearly being 'tilted' in this direction from the stronger winds with increasing height. Very nice image ^

Here's a Lufthansa A340 catching the low winter sun and making it's own cloud - taken from BA6 from NRT to LHR on 2014-11-22 over northern Russia. We were above the A340 (BA6 was a 777) and travelling slightly faster (I could have sworn that we drew along side, then gently accelerated ahead...!).
Lovely, :-:

I always love watching physics in action...air gets forced up over a wing and from this vertical (small in our perspective but due to the speed and scale, big in the necessary ways) lift of air, the air is forced to very quickly cool to saturation point and beyond, producing cloud on a small scale...the air must have been very close to saturation at this height on that day and the little bit extra lift over the wing produced the cloud...that then slowly expands and disperses, covering more of the sky than initially...nice to see a photo of a plane creating them in action! (I also love watching the relative speed that a plane intersects one's own plane when travelling...they appear to be rockets when the two bodies are moving at speed at different vectors!

[/QUOTE]

A cloud is split apart by lightning - OW AA930 from GRU to MIA on approach to MIA (a still from a video taken on a Canon SX260 in super-high speed mode)

Fantastic image of what appears to be LTGIC (in cloud lightning) ^ :-:
[/QUOTE]

Convective cloud-lings waiting to develop once the sun gets up. Taken at dawn from OW AA930 from GRU to MIA on 2015-10-20 on approach to MIA.

Actually, the development we see is already quite convective due to the changes in temperature that are already happening (both at times just after darkness or at times just before sunrise as is the case here)...the atmosphere is already starting to mix due to the temperature differences in the vertical profile above the site...this causes the convection even when it is reversed = warm air aloft and cool air on the surface. So, it will indeed get considerable 'push' from the heat of the Sun when it does climb higher but is already getting some 'mid-level' mixing going on from the imbalance in the atmosphere at sunrise on such days.

Brilliant images, please do continue to post here and on FT, thanks for sharing ^
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some interesting clouds at HEL around 0730 local back in September. Visibility on the ground was very limited, but we got above that very quickly after take-off. Taken with my ipad so apologies for the quality.

And the METAR on the day:
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:51 am

Botb, yes i think you are correct, good spot! Just before that pic i took this one as well, thought it was the window but maybe just the viewing angle from above. Loads of rainbows that day. Other pic i thought 'plane sandwhich'! It was quite a pronounced clear layer.

Nice pics everyone, while i still have zero knowledge i do find clouds interesting as they tell a story.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jcm9000

And a rainbow over the house i grew up in in approach to Glasgow:.
Within driving distance of Clober Golf Club?

You didn't by any chance find any of my golf balls in your garden did you?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Within driving distance of Clober Golf Club?

You didn't by any chance find any of my golf balls in your garden did you?
Certainly did on my walk to school up craigton road. If you teed off backwards over the clubhouse you would reach the house! Used to sneak on the course to go sledging....
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Interesting article in the economist about turbulence, the types, severity levels and the revelation that even in severe turbulence the plane moves only 30m (rather than the perceived thousands of feet)...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...go-bump-flight

Also, on a different subject, I recently saw another article that indicated there are 11 types of rainbows that occur (not all are the same!)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.