Search

The BA Cloud!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:00 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Wait a second, there is a cloud meet up and I wasn't informed? .

Just because I packed 3 bags I am banned????? Promise will do only one, if I am allowed to attend. Promise.
You can even bring 2 bags Yahillwe

The DO is still in planning stages so you haven't missed anything yet...and of course we do :-:expect:-: your attendance

Details so far are here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19005611-post228.html

So, that makes the list so far:

Definitely attending:

BotB
henkybaby
Stez
Yahillwe

Possible (or Yeah, but No, but Yeah, but No):

PETER01
PanGalactic
(after some arm twisting and assurances to his SWMBO)

Others?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:10 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Well, there is that and there is seeing the storm front from a safe distance away. There must be some middle ground where you can feel the force of mother nature without being launched into space.
I understand what you are asking...and of course want to be as close as possible while still being safe...I have no interest in being so far in the distance that all we see is a speck in the distance but we do need to be a bit careful if there are Tornadoes around...due to their unpredictable nature we could be half a mile away and then the thing veers suddenly towards us...

I'm all up for getting wet and being in the middle of some big storms which will be interesting enough...just need to be careful about distances with Tornadoes.

We won't have the same kit a true storm watching crowd will have...such as radar and live feeds to weather info so can't quite get as close as they would due to danger involved...but we can get close enough that it will be EXCITING...that much I can guarantee ^

After all this is meant to be a 'bucket list' item and/or the FT equivalent to a 'mid life crisis' points/miles extravaganza with some fun and excitement. ^

Hope that balance sounds right?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stez
And from somewhere in rural Queensland, not too far from Mackay:

Back to the pics...thanks for posting this one Stez ^

Some textbook Cumulus in this photo with the uniform, flat dark grey bases and strong white cauliflower type tops. ^

The interesting thing in this photo is the shear that is developing in the vertical atmosphere...the lower heights (surface up to say 4000 feet AGL) is unstable but no strong wind shear...(as the Cumulus is developing fine and the tops are not being sheared)...but the Altocumulus higher up is being sheared quite a bit by proportionally much stronger horizontal winds and will develop into Lenticular clouds if the strong wind at height continues...

So would be quite bumpy around 7000 - 12,000 foot AGL in this picture...

A good Summer cloud pic. ^ EDIT: Oops...I mean Winter picture (damn hemispheres messing with my mind... )

Last edited by BotB; Jul 27, 2012 at 6:58 am Reason: Winter in AUS is Summer in UK issue
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good/Bad time of year for us. We'll be in VA, watching it on the News channels and hoping it doesn't get too far up our way!!

…. like it did in September last year.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

I picked the prefect time to nip out in to the garden for a cigarette!

Guess who just flew right over my back garden!!!!

But, damn this slow camera on the iphone
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Brown Archers?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by T8191
The Brown Archers?
Must be some kind of military humour I don't understand

What a treat!!!

Can't believe that just happened!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
You can even bring 2 bags Yahillwe

The DO is still in planning stages so you haven't missed anything yet...and of course we do :-:expect:-: your attendance

Details so far are here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19005611-post228.html

So, that makes the list so far:

Definitely attending:

BotB
henkybaby
Stez
Yahillwe

Possible (or Yeah, but No, but Yeah, but No):

PETER01
PanGalactic
(after some arm twisting and assurances to his SWMBO)

Others?
Oklahoma????? You didn't tell me that it is in Oklahoma...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Ok here are some, of course I am not a good photographer. Wonder what I am good at?

Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Oklahoma????? You didn't tell me that it is in Oklahoma...
Why is it whenever I hear Oklahoma I always think of the Jackass movie

Google it if you dare
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't need to google anything done by jackass, it is always idiotic and crazy. Can just imagine the worse.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BotB

his is a great visualisation of why we have stack distances and times on airports...especially with the new A380 I believe the stack time is longer afterwards to ensure that no planes gets caught in one from the previously landed A380 or other aircraft...

The main problem as I understand it is that we do not have a good way to know if the wake turbulence (as it is also known as) will dissipate quickly or if it will 'move' vertically so as not to be a problem...the worry being that the turbulence continues, more or less, in the same path the following plane is taking due to the turbulence being trapped in a 'layer' from temperature variations such as you get with sonar or radar sometimes...maybe someone else better informed can comment further or correct my points here like Heathrow Tower?
It is generally understood that the vortex descends, but research has shown that it can begin rising again after a short delay.

Vortex separation can be applied in two ways. Currently, for arriving aircraft in the UK it is applied in terms of distance.

Therefore, when landing at LHR in, say, a 747, if there was another Heavy (B747, B777, B767, A340, A330) behind, it would be 4nm behind; if there was a Medium (A319/320/321, B737, E190) then it would be 5nm; a Small (E145, F70) then 6nm and so on.

This actually works against us when there are strong winds. If the aircraft are fixed distances apart, and there are strong headwinds, then the each aircraft is coming down the approach more slowly, and therefore the number of aircraft landing per hour goes down.

To visualise it, think of those stretches of motorway where you have to be '2 chevrons' apart. Imagine doing 70mph. Now imagine you have slowed down to 30mph, but still have to remain 2 chevrons apart....the number of vehicles passing a certain point on the road will be lower at 30mph than at 70mph.

We are working on a concept of separation arrivals by time, rather than distance, so that the landing rate remains constant in headwinds.

On departure, we provide separation by time, so if the following aircraft is a lesser category (i.e. Heavy followed by Medium/Small/Light) then we provide 2 minutes. If the first aircraft is an A380 we add one minute on, so Super followed by Heavy will be 2 mins, Super followed by Medium is 3 mins.

This time is increased by using different take off points for the two aircraft.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:48 am

A few more photos, I crave your indulgence!

I apologise for these, not many clouds, but I love the photos! Taken at Duxford's Flying Legends airshow.

Heathrow in the snow.......
Snowing here:

Just finished snowing here:

The rest are from Farnborough Airshow, both this year and 2010. Although both shows had changeable weather, it meant some pretty good visual effects.....

V-22 Osprey showing up the condensation from the prop tips...

A380

T-50 (Korean Air Force trainer)

F/A-18F Hornet

Eurofighter Typhoon

This one was on a high-speed pass, it was a straight run, no g being pulled, pushing towards the sound barrier, you can see the condensation resulting from the build up of pressure around the cockpit and under the tail:

Even the Boeing 787 managed to get some!

SAAB Gripen
Artificial clouds!

Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:48 am

And finally.....

Condensation effects due to high g manoeuvres. F-16 and F-22 in Ohio.

Dirt devils in rural Washington State.

Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wheee ... Real aircraft, and great photos!

"Jet noise ... The sound of Freedom"

I will always remember when we moved to Waddington, and walked into the garden.
The OH sniffed the air and said "Ahhh, Avtur."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.