Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First check-in LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

First check-in LHR

Just got back from London yesterday on BA275 in F. The experience as a whole was very nice. The one real sour note of the whole trip was the check-in at LHR. The impression I got was that the employees could have cared less whether my wife and I were there or not. They were not surly, they simply lacked (a least the woman we dealt with) any personality whatsoever. No smile, no welcome. Every other employee we came in contact with was great, in the lounge and on the plane, but first impressions are important and BA failed on this one.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Agree.

It's been discussed a number of times here and the overall consensus is that it's really nothing to write home about.

I don't really use it very often, but I did Thursday morning as I had some cases to check in and yet again I very unimpressed.

Nothing about it feels special.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Not even the grumpy women who says "First class or gold card?" *scowl*

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season11/tap23.mp3
Old May 18, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
come to think of it, when I used it - apart from the saving on queuing time, there is nothing I can remember as being special
Old May 18, 2012, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by johnny5a
come to think of it, when I used it - apart from the saving on queuing time, there is nothing I can remember as being special
I only had pleasant experiences there actually. Recently, upon entering, my wife and I were asked "First Class?" to which I responded "Gold Card" and she said "Even Better!"

I didn't think to offer to trade it for an upgrade
Old May 18, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I do not really see what advantages the F check in area offers.

It is more private and offers some seats, but I do not care about that. It is also further from Security, which is annoying.

Why anybody would insist on using it when there is no queue for a CW or WT/WT+ desk nearer to security is a mystery to me!
Old May 18, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

It is more private and offers some seats, but I do not care about that. It is also further from Security, which is annoying.

Why anybody would insist on using it when there is no queue for a CW or WT/WT+ desk nearer to security is a mystery to me!
First timer. Last time flew club and checked in at a kiosk. Just thought that if someone went to the trouble of constructing a special area it would be worth trying out. Won't bother next time.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The OP's experience has alsom been mine on a number of occasions.

Recently, however, I have had friendly, pleasant staff. ^
Old May 18, 2012, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!

I just always have the car service drop me off on that end of the terminal as I don't know what the queue status is going to be. The other areas can be hit-or-miss, but I've never had to wait at the first checkin.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I just always have the car service drop me off on that end of the terminal as I don't know what the queue status is going to be. The other areas can be hit-or-miss, but I've never had to wait at the first checkin.
It seems very clear to me that passengers arriving from the HEX and wanting to do things themselves are not who the F check in area has been designed for!

But no matter, these passengers can use CW or WT/WT+ desks if the queue is expected to be quicker than at the F desks.

I remember once when I arrived there was a massive queue at CW desks and no queue at WT/WT+ next door. So I checked in at the 'lower' desk and went through Fast Track, which strangely given the number of people waiting for CW bag drop was empty!
Old May 18, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
It seems very clear to me that passengers arriving from the HEX and wanting to do things themselves are not who the F check in area has been designed for!

But no matter, these passengers can use CW or WT/WT+ desks if the queue is expected to be quicker than at the F desks.

I remember once when I arrived there was a massive queue at CW desks and no queue at WT/WT+ next door. So I checked in at the 'lower' desk and went through Fast Track, which strangely given the number of people waiting for CW bag drop was empty!
An overstock of newly forged bronze kettles? (runs for cover)
Old May 18, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amelorn
An overstock of newly forged bronze kettles? (runs for cover)
Old May 19, 2012, 5:40 am
Formerly known as McLovin'

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
It is very hit and miss, I tend to use it if I'm checking in a bag because, like BizFlyin, my car service always drops me at that end of the terminal. I have had some excellent check-in experiences there (for example when I got an op-up all the way to WT from CW on a LHR-DFW) and the check in staff were a lot of fun and got me in a great mood to start my journey. I tend to be quite chatty with the check-in agents anyway and most of the time they are great. However, especially recently, I have not had the best run of luck with the check-in staff there who have been quite short and matter-of-fact with me, not every time, but more often than not. Maybe some retraining wouldn't go amiss?
Old May 19, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Used the First check-in last week. The one lasting impression I had, which I remarked upon to my wife on walking to security, was how grubby the BA staff member was. His shirt collar was freyed and the knot of his tie badly stained. A very poor first impression. This was compounded by him failing to do a proper document check which meant that we were unceremoniously sent back to check in by the security staff. This time I just used the nearest Club check-in desk where the lady was charming and couldn't have been more apologetic. The crew on the flight were excellent, as usual. It's clear that you have to stand out to be selected for First cabin crew. First check in, however, IMHO is a different story!
Old May 19, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP

I learn something new every day. I didn't even know there were CW desks. I must have been lucky but on the umpteen times I've flown from T5, I've just wandered up to find the first free desk and never had to go far before finding one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.