Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has the airport experience become horrible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the airport experience become horrible?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Well the rule is [snip] ... From the LHR website [snip] and the TSA
Oh, believe me, I know the rules :-) it's the inconsistent application of these "rules" that can get just a bit frustrating.

Shorthauldad + obviously poorly child + medicine container > 100ml:
- in MUC waved through with a smile
- in MAN pulled over and medicine duly confiscated

<joke> "Just following orders" is more the kind of thing one might expect in MUC</joke>

Come to think of it, instead of discussing decanting the medicine into a 100ml bottle, I should have decanted it straight into into my son... next time, perhaps.

Last edited by shorthauldad; May 9, 2012 at 11:07 am Reason: typo
Old May 9, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
There is, is there not, a specific exemption for medical liquids? Sounds to me like the confiscation at MAN was against the rules...
Old May 9, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by speedbird66
There is, is there not, a specific exemption for medical liquids? Sounds to me like the confiscation at MAN was against the rules...
They did ask me if I had a prescription ... but since it was an over-the-counter medicine I wasn't able to offer one (and I'd bought it abroad - would they have accepted a prescription in German even if I'd had one??)

I offered to taste it, but they weren't having that either...
Old May 9, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Looks like Britain and the US differ here: the TSA guidance is very clear and unequivocal:

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.
But the LHR website states that some kind of precription/doctor's note is required, and you may only carry what's required for the flight:

Liquid medicines: You are only permitted to carry quantities of liquid medication in excess of your personal liquid allowance where it is needed during the course of your flight. All medication should be accompanied by documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from a medical practitioner confirming that you need them for your journey. Liquid medication that is not required on the flight should be carried as hold luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.