Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pyjama etiquette

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by nimeta
However I am one of the few people who will take my F PJ's in my hand baggage when I fly J. On the UD, when sat by the window, it is very easy to change discreetly into them, although I always do so under my blanket just in case.
This is what I was picturing (well not you personally) when the possibility of changing at one's seat was raised, and it seems perfectly fine to me.

I have to say the last long haul flight I was on, a crew member stripped down to his t-shirt while carrying on a conversation with me. It was very disconcerting, but only one of several erratic behaviors by this particular person. (It was J, but IIRC, PMUA not BA, so that might explain some of it...)

Last edited by Homer15; May 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm
Old May 6, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Some of us come directly from work or going directly to work.
People wear suits at work still? I haven't had a "suit" job since 1983. Of course, that's by planning. Hate the things.

Even when I did have to wear a suit to work I'd always invest a few minutes to change into normal clothing before getting on a plane.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would still never do that. What if a cabin crew member walks past? That would be so rude of me to potentially expose myself to him/her.
Although pointing out one potential option where some might consider it - I do not place myself in that group......I would be in the bathroom even if I am the only F pax. Didn't think about the crew but my most recent US->UK night flight was on CO/UA and for about 4 hours didn't see any crew and pax were spread thin as well.

Originally Posted by rbphilip
I quite often wear shorts (not tattered) and a t-shirt while flying. I'm one of those people who find the cabin to always be too warm and I'm much more comfortable in shorts. It's the people who wear suits that I find odd. It's an airplane, not a wedding!
I agree if at all possible - shorts - regardless of departure or arrival destination weather. Planes nearly always too hot - and if not there is usually a blanket available.

Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
The thing, I think, to bear in mind is that even though F is a small and (theoretically) exclusive cabin, it is still a public place and the laws regarding exposure still apply...
Did I miss something - I thought people were replacing normal street outer clothing with PJ's - so admittedly potential yukky underwear sights - but not full on (illegal) exposure - that is way too far. Most gym shorts (usually ladies unless you are Richard Simmons) and swim trunks can be more revealing than many underwear garments).

Like I said earlier - I would not - and I would hope others would preferably not - especially if you know that your particular choice of "unmentionables" (and body structure) does not warrant any public display
Old May 6, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Originally Posted by Gash
Did I miss something - I thought people were replacing normal street outer clothing with PJ's - so admittedly potential yukky underwear sights - but not full on (illegal) exposure - that is way too far. Most gym shorts (usually ladies unless you are Richard Simmons) and swim trunks can be more revealing than many underwear garments).

Like I said earlier - I would not - and I would hope others would preferably not - especially if you know that your particular choice of "unmentionables" (and body structure) does not warrant any public display
Well yes, I would assume the same thing - that changing into PJs on an airplane does not involve the removing of under garments. But there was an entire thread on here a while back that highlighted the fact that our opinion is far from unanimous!

Then there's the matter that some people choose to wear styles of under garments which are not substantial enough to shield them (pun not intended) from an exposure complaint even if they do leave them on!
Old May 6, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
Well yes, I would assume the same thing - that changing into PJs on an airplane does not involve the removing of under garments. But there was an entire thread on here a while back that highlighted the fact that our opinion is far from unanimous!
Quite!
Old May 7, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
My typical overnight flight pants are drawstring cargo or linen pants so switching to PJ pants isn't necessary and my bottom layer will typically be a t-shirt of sorts so if I lose the sweater/outer shirt I'll just change at my seat. On a day flight the most I'll do is use the top as a sweatshirt/crumb-catcher.

Oh, and I think changing at one's seat is fine as long as they change the pants under the blanket and are wearing an undershirt. I wouldn't really want to risk dropping my clothes on any surface of the lav so would be reluctant to change there.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by rbphilip
Even when I did have to wear a suit to work I'd always invest a few minutes to change into normal clothing before getting on a plane.
^ Me too. I never ever fly in a suit on a flight unless it's a domestic or short flight post or pre meeting. Personally I find suit trousers uncomfortable for a long flight plus I'm likely to dirty them. I usually fly in jeans but always change on overnight flights in J / F into PJs (after take off) as they are so much more comfortable to sleep in than jeans. I have no problem having dinner and breakfast in them and then putting my fresh clothes back on 40 minutes before landing.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: BA EC, SQ (*A), SPG
Pyjama etiquette

I feel unusual. I alway change into pyjamas on overnight flights, regardless of class. Also I prefer my own to airline handouts. Try to make sure they stay new and in good condition. So of you see someone in Tommy Hilfiger (cheap from figleaves) then its likely me. Often in Sing / Syd trips, NYC or India. Maybe we should get some FT sets made up.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by screensales
Maybe we should get some FT sets made up.
an inconspicuous shade of bright yellow then
Old May 7, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by Gash
I think cabin changing option would only be done if you (or you and partner) are the only pax in F - and even then still may feel odd?

Or if you are a young child...which brings up my question...are the F PJ's 3 sizes fit all (S-M-L) and to what extent is the S actually S (will it swamp children and/or teens?). If they are unisex PJ's (don't know) - then is the S usually plenty for most of the fairer gender pax?

G.
The first time I had an F return, there were no small sizes on the outbound or the return. The medium size trouser waist band would be past my shoulders if I pull them up so the crotch is in the right place, giving either a "worse than Simon Cowell" look or settling for a "MC Hammer" alternative. I've taken my own ever since, but my daughter always asks for a small and has never got one - not sure they exist? The VS Ninja suits tend to be better in that regard.

I think children or teens would be better taking their own.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, bmi DC Gold, EI GC, TK M&S Elite, Aegean M&B Silver, HHonors Gold, Junior Jet Club
Of course, wearing racy lingerie or a Mankini (depending on whether you are M/F) and changing in the cabin is the preferred protocol if you want to get into one of Pucci's TFTG...
Old May 7, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I am surprised you forgot the penultimate thread on the subject....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...f-jammies.html
Old May 7, 2012, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I don't really like the colour of the BA PJ's, far too dark and a lighter blue would be nicer imho. I do wish they had pockets too (or a pocket) so you could put a hankie in it. Doable but in the big scale of life not that important.

I quite like the colour of the QF ones

Old May 7, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I am surprised you forgot the penultimate thread on the subject....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...f-jammies.html
Oh, him and his sausage..!

Palmer
Old May 7, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
I think it's less of an intrusion for the fellow passengers to get changed in the toilet. They do provide a change seat after all.

Just out of interest has anyone seen someone disembark the plane in the pajamas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.