Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I will be able to report soon on the status match. One of my colleague is BD Silver. He'll probably renew BA Silver anyway and will travel in the UK soon. He has asked for a match immediately. I'll ask him about the outcome of his match. What exactly should happen to his account? When should his new "end of year"?
Old May 5, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
My match to BA Gold came through for the end of my current BAEC year, plus a year, as others have experienced. It took 4 days from my online application.

I'd be interested to know what happens when someone who was not a BAEC member creates and account and matches a month or so later, as I have a family member in this boat.

Well done BA and BMI for making this process so efficient - given the differing IT systems and the training to be done, I think they are doing well so far - we can't really blame the BA lounge staff for not recognising DC gold/silver cards as such when the writing is so small!
Old May 5, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
iii) You are BMI Gold (or Silver) and BA Gold (or Silver) and your BA year expires first and you will NOT retain your existing BA status
WAIT until you drop down a BA tier, and then match ASAP. Your BA status will go back up to where it was, and you will get status for all of the current BA year and all the next one, so c 23 months, as outlined in 2) below.
No!!! This (and other points) are incorrect!

As I pointed out in this thread, matching bmi status to BAEC status (regardless of whether the match results in the same, or higher, level in BAEC) will reset your current membership year.

In no case will a status match result in status being valid for anything more than 12 months.

Key Questions (in "Diamond Club and Executive Club - transfer tool and tier match" section):

Originally Posted by BAEC FAQ
When I tier match at the Executive Club, how long will I be given my new tier for?

When you request a tier match at the Executive Club your new tier will be valid for 12 months.

If I am a Gold/Silver Executive Club member and also Gold/Silver within the Diamond Club can I tier match and reset my Executive Club membership year?

Yes. If you choose to tier match at the Executive Club, you can benefit from 12 months at Gold/Silver even if you are an existing Gold/Silver Executive Club member. Please note that by tier matching and resetting your membership year, you will reset any tier points balance that you have to zero.
Full FAQ: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...q/public/en_gb
Old May 5, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sigma421
I think expecting the status match to be available in April 2013 is possibly a bit optimistic. If you matched in a few days (after May 9) you'd get membership for the rest of your BAEC year and all of the following year keeping you gold until April 2014 and then giving you a year of silver which means you'll have access on all Oneworld flights until April 2015.
It will be possible to status match using the miles transfer tool therefore we know the offer will be around until at least a few weeks after July 3. There's no risk to you holding off until around May 10.
This is wrong! In no situation will matched status in BAEC ever be valid for more than 12 months. The only case where a "new" BAEC status is valid for more than 12 months is when it has been earned by flying, via TP only, i.e. you earned that status the normal/hard way.

Matching now would get you Gold until June 2013, and silver until June 2014, only.
Instead of matching straight away, you would be advised to hold off from matching until the last available opportunity - but unfortunately we don't know when that will be.

Another exceptionally important factor in making the decision which has not been addressed in the "flowchart" is your past and future travel plans - so everyone will have to factor this in for their own benefit. Getting a match from your bmi status will wipe out your existing Tier Point balance...getting a match from your bmi status will reset your membership year, so could be beneficial for just resetting your year to a "better" date than the one you have, or could be used to re-set your BAEC membership year just before a period of lots of oneworld travel you may have coming up - which would then maximise your chance of retaining status (by giving you more time after this period of travel to accrue the remaining TPs needed)

Last edited by irishguy28; May 5, 2012 at 8:16 am
Old May 5, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
The thing with the 8th does not apply, because he is going up a tier and thus their is no year reset. That only happens when matching G to G or S to S.
No! That's wrong!

All status matches reset your year and clear your TP balance, regardless of whether you are achieving a new, higher status in BAEC, or just "extending" your current BAEC status!

Please, take down this thread, it's full of incorrect advice!

Look again at the BA status match FAQ: (http://www.britishairways.com/travel...q/public/en_gb)

When I tier match at the Executive Club, how long will I be given my new tier for?

When you request a tier match at the Executive Club your new tier will be valid for 12 months.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No! That's wrong!

All status matches reset your year and clear your TP balance, regardless of whether you are achieving a new, higher status in BAEC, or just "extending" your current BAEC status!

Look again at the BA status match FAQ: (http://www.britishairways.com/travel...q/public/en_gb)

Are you speaking from experience or just by going off the FAQ?
Old May 5, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
The internet is littered with incorrect information. And the FT Mods don't take down information just because it's wrong - that would make us editors. We're not editors, nor censors.

As it happens, there's a clear difference between what has been written by BA/bmi and what is being practised by them. Until there is a clarification, there's every chance that what is above may be correct...

Until then, I suggest that caveat emptor applies.

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
Old May 5, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
The internet is littered with incorrect information. And the FT Mods don't take down information just because it's wrong - that would make us editors. We're not editors, nor censors.

As it happens, there's a clear difference between what has been written by BA/bmi and what is being practised by them. Until there is a clarification, there's every chance that what is above may be correct...

Until then, I suggest that caveat emptor applies.

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
Very true on all counts.

I've taken the plunge. Will report back what happens.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No! That's wrong!

As wyvern posted, just 5 minutes before you kicked off, BA is not doing what it said it would. Hence this thread.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
I will be able to report soon on the status match. One of my colleague is BD Silver. He'll probably renew BA Silver anyway and will travel in the UK soon. He has asked for a match immediately. I'll ask him about the outcome of his match. What exactly should happen to his account? When should his new "end of year"?
People who have been in the BAEC for some time (whatever their level) have already reported back and it is based on their experience that Raffles started this thread. Your colleague, who is already BA Silver as well as DC Silver, is in that position.

What no-one has reported yet (and probably cannot do for a few weeks) is what happens when someone who has only joined BAEC in the last few days (as a result of the takeover process) and gets given their first BAEC (Blue) membership year, and then later (people seem to be suggesting a month) asks for a status match. Is their membership year reset, or do they get what existing BAEC members seem to be getting: ie matched status for the rest of their original membership year +1 ?

Once someone reports that, people will have a better idea as to when to ask for their match. If their original membership year is not reset, and they get matched status for more than a year, then it will make sense to status match a month after the original joining date, but if their year is reset, it would be better to wait - if their present DC status and the continued offer of a match allow it - until just before they are going to take their first BA or OW flight.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fair point, but I don't see why BA's computer would treat a month old Blue differently to any other. Let's see, although I expect what is written in post 1 to be ok.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Do you think BA will announce the end of the status match or will they just withdraw this facility over night? I'd hate to find out one morning that I've left my match too late ....
Old May 5, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Originally Posted by Prospero
I know, I know. But if this is a system glitch is it not better to know sooner rather than later. Knowing BA as we do, do you believe they will allow an IT glitch to dictate the terms of its own policy? For all we know, the year resets are still to come but may require some form manual correction to complete the process.
In this case, if it indeed was a system glitch (rather than just a misunderstading between IT and the people writing those FAQs), it is a glitch in us customer's favour. So no, it is not better to know sooner rather than later.

In any case, we are safe and comfortable in the assurance of a match that lasts at least 12 months and we have the additional right-hand tail possibility of getting something better!

So it is a case of, X>=12,

conclusion: please do not call the airlines! :P

Happy Flighting!
Old May 5, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Raffles, thank you for preparing this information.

I am still a little confused, my membership year is November for BD and I have no account with BA, so do I wait until October (where DC might exist given the summer timetable) or do I match now. What do I gain/lose?
Old May 5, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you have no OneWorld / BA flights until October, you will maximise your 'useful' time as Gold by waiting until then as you will otherwise have lost 5 months of Gold.

On the other hand, if you have got BA flights coming up, you might as well match before those to benefit from lounge access.

There is a risk BMI will cease entirely in October and I have added a line to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.