Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 5:39 am

Great thread Raffles.
I wonder what are the chances of the match running until 9th December as that will keep me BA Silver until 2014. Just missed out on Gold by 2 weeks
Old May 5, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, AMEX BA PP, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
can aNyone give the definitive answer to this - I thought it was the case that if you were BA gold and DC gold and did the status match you would get a full year from that point as BA gold - very handy if you have a relatively fallow few months with BA flights. If you lose your BA tier points but with no change in the BA year end I don't see why anyone would want to do this.

Is there no definate statement on this from BA?
Has anyone who is already DC*S and BA Silver or DC*G and BA Gold, and who has done the status match, had their TPs reset to zero? If not, that might explain it, but if the TPs are being reset to zero and there's no change in the membership year as they said would happen, it's confusing.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
can aNyone give the definitive answer to this - I thought it was the case that if you were BA gold and DC gold and did the status match you would get a full year from that point as BA gold - very handy if you have a relatively fallow few months with BA flights. If you lose your BA tier points but with no change in the BA year end I don't see why anyone would want to do this.

Is there no definate statement on this from BA?
If you match same to same then you DO get your year reset, although not sure if anyone has done it yet.

Prospero - reports to date show that BA is not giving 1 year but giving all current year and the next. Hence the need for this thread!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Based on the example above - a match in June gets you 13, August gets you 23 - what does a match in July get you? (for the sake of clarity, let's call it july 10th)

TIA
July 10 gets you almost 24 months, to July 8 2014. I just used August for clarity in my eg.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you match same to same then you DO get your year reset, although not sure if anyone has done it yet.

Prospero - reports to date show that BA is not giving 1 year but giving all current year and the next. Hence the need for this thread!
I've requested official clarification on the duration of matched tiers.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Excellent thread, Raffles, and your FT dedication is to be admired. Posting at 06:38 after working on the post for an hour implies a very early start.

I'm in the para 2 situation (BD silver, BA bronze). Without the match, I would qualify for BA silver again by late August. I'm not sure this is specifically covered in your brief.

AIUI, I have these options:
- matching on 9 July (my BD membership year end is 17 July, BA is 8 December) gives me BA silver to December 2013 + grace period.
- NOT matching but qualifying for BA silver in late August gives me BA silver to August 2013 + grace period.

So matching on 9 July gives me BA silver for July/August 2012 and September-December 2013 in addition to the requalifying position? Is that right? If so, it simplifies my decision.

Oh, BTW. I'd recommend DC members for whom timing is critical to check their DC membership years. Mrs Roger's is 2 1/2 months before card expiry.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Based on the example above - a match in June gets you 13, August gets you 23 - what does a match in July get you? (for the sake of clarity, let's call it july 10th)

TIA
July 10 gets you almost 24 months, to July 8 2014. I just used August for clarity in my eg.
Thanks ! Great help
Old May 5, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I've requested official clarification on the duration of matched tiers.
Whatever happened to 'don't call the airline'?!

Cards sent out to date all reflect a 2014 expiry, looking at the main thread above.

Anyway, BA has promised a 12 month match, so they cannot just let it run to the current year as that would only be 1 to 11 months. I think, from a IT view, what they are doing is the only sensible thing.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Whatever happened to 'don't call the airline'?!

Cards sent out to date all reflect a 2014 expiry, looking at the main thread above.

Anyway, BA has promised a 12 month match, so they cannot just let it run to the current year as that would only be 1 to 11 months. I think, from a IT view, what they are doing is the only sensible thing.
I know, I know. But if this is a system glitch is it not better to know sooner rather than later. Knowing BA as we do, do you believe they will allow an IT glitch to dictate the terms of its own policy? For all we know, the year resets are still to come but may require some form manual correction to complete the process.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
Excellent thread, Raffles, and your FT dedication is to be admired. Posting at 06:38 after working on the post for an hour implies a very early start.

I'm in the para 2 situation (BD silver, BA bronze). Without the match, I would qualify for BA silver again by late August. I'm not sure this is specifically covered in your brief.

AIUI, I have these options:
- matching on 9 July (my BD membership year end is 17 July, BA is 8 December) gives me BA silver to December 2013 + grace period.
- NOT matching but qualifying for BA silver in late August gives me BA silver to August 2013 + grace period.

So matching on 9 July gives me BA silver for July/August 2012 and September-December 2013 in addition to the requalifying position? Is that right? If so, it simplifies my decision.

Oh, BTW. I'd recommend DC members for whom timing is critical to check their DC membership years. Mrs Roger's is 2 1/2 months before card expiry.
Small baby, bad sleeper ...!

The 9th thing does not apply when changing BA tier, you also don't get a year reset. There is no point in you matching, unless you do it now and benefit from Silver between now and August. Whatever you do, you will be Silver until December 2013.

Even if you do not match, because your year no longer resets when changing tier, your new status runs to Dec and not August - you are mistaken on your last assumption.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks very much, Raffles.

I can see clearly now, as Johnny Nash might say.
Oh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w
Old May 5, 2012, 7:02 am

Am I right in assuming then that matching from DC*G to BA Gold, but already being BA Gold with a membership date ending 8th September, would reset my membership year to 8th August if I matched on July 20th?
Old May 5, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krich
Am I right in assuming then that matching from DC*G to BA Gold, but already being BA Gold with a membership date ending 8th September, would reset my membership year to 8th August if I matched on July 20th?
Yes
Old May 5, 2012, 7:05 am

^Thanks Raffles. That's exactly what I wanted to hear
Old May 5, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Thanks, Raffles, for that clear exposition.

The one scenario that remains unproven, though - and it is important, because it concerns every DC member who has not so far been a member of BAEC - is the following:

1) you are a DC Silver or Gold at the moment and have at least a month or two before the end of your DC membership year;
2) you have joined BAEC in the past few days;
3) you are waiting to request your status match because you want to maximise the length of your BAEC status

Firstly, everyone who has joined in the past few days has been given a membership year ending on June 8th 2013 and not May 8th, and no-one knows quite why. Several people have posted about this, and I have friends who are not FTers who have reported the same.

Secondly, none of us in this situation has yet asked for the status match, so we do not know for sure that new members' BAEC membership years will not be reset and any tier points we may have earned before the status match lost.

I had planned to test this out, expecting a BAEC membership year ending 8th May 2013, and then applying for a status match (after 9th May) before I took my first flight on 28th May. But having being given a membership year ending June 8th 2013, I now have to wait until June 9th (and after my flight). In fact, because my next flight will be in September, I need to wait longer than that (until just before I fly), just in case they do reset my membership year and I waste the first three months of a single year's Gold Status.

It will be a few weeks (after June 9th?), before we know whether all this will work. Based on those who have already been BAEC Blue (or Silver if matching to Gold) for somewhile, we hope it will, but, so far, we have no actual evidence for the common scenario outlined above.

Last edited by rangerss75; May 5, 2012 at 7:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.